Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be boycotting 'Murdoch products' over phone hacking ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Polite as ever, please bother to read the posts you have just quoted.

I did bother to read your post and like you have been following this story for some time. I tend to agree with most of what you had written but it was the following that prompted my 'naive' comment. I agree that Cameron probably has never read the NOTW but he is almost certainly briefed on what goes on bearing in mind it's readership. As ignorant as most of them probably are, they are still voters.

Possibly Cameron had never read the News of The World ? Did he really understand who Coulson was ?

They are either completely naive or arrogant beyond belief. I suspect a bit of both.

It's just that you seem to be sitting on the fence with regard to them being naive or arrogant. This is all about power and who can get it and at what price, ie you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Apologies for the naive comment but I don't think Cameron or Osbourne were naive also, they were keen to get into power.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And Drew, do you seriously believed that Labour in Government never hacked a phone? Get real pal, this is not about party politics.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Don't now but how many people will cancel their TV subscriptions ? Oh, that mean Virgin subscribers as well.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Normally buy three newspapers on weekdays including the sun.

SUN AND NEWS OF THE WORLD NOW CANCELLED.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Polite as ever, please bother to read the posts you have just quoted. I doubt he would have employed him if he suspected his paper was hacking his chancellors phone....

Cameron strikes me as a bit of f*ck wit to be honest, clinging on desperately to people he perceives to understand the real world like Coulson.

no then you must be very trusting.
politics in this country are becoming like they are in the USA very dirty and I mean all political parties.
I don't like the tories but it looks to me like they have been out of office for so long they have forgotten how the rules go once you have your foot on the neck leave it there and cover your tracks

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not a great fan of Murdoch, but I do think the hatred of him is a bit OTT. The Sun and NOTW should be boycotted and punished, and their Editors (as the buck should really stop with them).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm not a great fan of Murdoch, but I do think the hatred of him is a bit OTT. The Sun and NOTW should be boycotted and punished, and their Editors (as the buck should really stop with them).

he owns them and the buck stops with him his papers are out of control

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Don't now but how many people will cancel their TV subscriptions ? Oh, that mean Virgin subscribers as well.

I will be cancelling Sky Sports but not for this reason though. Never buy the Murdoch papers anyway. They really are just thoroughly objectionable, new allegations including hacking war widows phone lines now. As editor Brooks neé Wade must have known that all her big stories were being sourced by dubious if not downright criminal means, her position is surely untenable.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
he owns them and the buck stops with him his papers are out of control

Well The Times isn't out of control. He's a control freak but I doubt he's responsible for everything his papers or organisations do. Piers Morgan was rightly sacked for dodgy pictures, the Mirror's owners weren't punished. But if you want stop watching the Simpsons and miss all the Albion and Champions League games next year, you're welcome to do it

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Polite as ever, please bother to read the posts you have just quoted. I doubt he would have employed him if he suspected his paper was hacking his chancellors phone....

Cameron strikes me as a bit of f*ck wit to be honest, clinging on desperately to people he perceives to understand the real world like Coulson.

no then you must be very trusting.

I don't normally (ever?) agree with what Peter Oborne has to write in the Telegraph, but this is from his article on the current shambles:

The Prime Minister cannot claim in defence that he was naively drawn in to this lethal circle. He was warned – many times. Shortly before the last election he was explicitly told about the company he was keeping. Alan Rusbridger – editor of The Guardian newspaper, which has performed such a wonderful service to public decency by bringing to light the shattering depravity of Mr Murdoch’s newspaper empire – went to meet one of Mr Cameron’s closest advisers shortly before the last election. He briefed this adviser very carefully about Mr Coulson, telling him many troubling pieces of information that could not then be put into the public domain.

It's unlikely that the Telegraph is going to invent reasons to praise the Guardian, so I'm tempted to believe this is true.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The Digger is a newspaper man and a journo by trade, so I suspect he is cringing and embarrassed by what has happened.

What surprises he is the way he is clinging to Rebekka Brooks, she is very culpable in this.

I've cancelled by subscription to The Times, which is a bummer, as it is a good read, although I've been disappointed with the BBC bashing in recent times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you seriously suggesting that this is purely a NOTW problem? Rebekah Brooks was News Editor at the time her journalists were employing Mulcaire and probably others to hack phones. Paul McMullen who was on 5live yesterday admitted that he paid £30k for a story with the intimation that it was to a police officer and that this would definitely need approval by the editor of the time. The Editor will be fully aware of how her employees are gathering stories. Her statement today says it is inconceivable that she would know. Well I would suggest most people will think that it is inconceivable that she wouldn't know. And where is this pillar of morality now. Funny but she's been promoted and is now the CEO of News International.

I suppose i am, at least for now with the information to hand. so far it is limited to NotW and a couple of the editors by being in charge are associated. is anyone suggesting other News international papers have done the same? given its so easy, it wouldnt actually surprise me if that did come out, journo's especailly freelance and investigators must be very tempted. but then probably other papers could be implicated, we'll see.

to boycott Sky One because they are part of a company part owned by a parent company, which employs someone involved in wrong doing seems a little too many degrees of seperation to be meaningful. all this does is detract from the individuals and wrong doing by them and reasons for that, as we go after the big prize of News International and its owner. no one will bother to question how it was so easy, why the papers standards allowed it to go on, what does it mean for papers that they were willing to delve so deep to get a lead on a story.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
to boycott Sky One because they are part of a company part owned by a parent company, which employs someone involved in wrong doing seems a little too many degrees of seperation to be meaningful. all this does is detract from the individuals and wrong doing by them and reasons for that, as we go after the big prize of News International and its owner. no one will bother to question how it was so easy, why the papers standards allowed it to go on, what does it mean for papers that they were willing to delve so deep to get a lead on a story.

BSkyB is the biggest advertiser in NoTW, so I am not sure there is a huge degree of separation.

What is worrying is the reluctance of The Times and The Sun to report objectively on the issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here