Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be boycotting 'Murdoch products' over phone hacking ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can't boycott what you don't buy but others are right - it will be the loss of advertisers that costs them and following on from Ford expect others to pull out if only because they will get a lower rate when they start to advertise with them again......... in business no-one is anyone's friend.

Frankly I hope the Murdoch empire collapses but realistically he will ride the storm without serious harm.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im dont really get the "boycott murdoch" thing. News of the world, yes, but then its a shitty rag anyway. but just because the owner owns other outlets, i dont see why one would boycott them purely by this association. it seems a political thing, people dont like Murdoch (cant say i care for him) so will use this as a big stick to beat him with. when i heard Prescott thought this issue should mean the Sky deal should be blocked, it just looked like cheap political grandstanding.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The Sun, The Times, the News of the World, the Sunday Times, BSkyB (39%), Harper Collins, the Wall Street Journal Europe, the Times Literary Supplement, Sky1, Sky2, Sky3, Living, Living +1, Living It, Channel One, Channel One +1, Bravo, Bravo +1, Challenge, Challenge +1, Bravo 2, FX, FX +2, Sky1 HD, Living Loves, Living It +1, FX HD, Sky 3D, Sky3 +1, Living HD, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 1 HD, Sky Arts 2, Sky Arts 2 HD, Sky Premiere, Sky Premiere +1, Sky Showcase, Sky Comedy, Sky Action, Sky Family, Sky Thriller, Sky Drama/Romance, Sky Sci-Fi/Horror, Sky Modern Greats, Sky Classics, Sky Indie, Sky Premiere HD, Sky Showcase HD, Sky Comedy HD, Sky Action HD, Sky Thriller HD, Sky Drama/Romance HD, Sky Sci-Fi/Horror HD, Sky Modern Greats HD, Sky Indie HD, Sky Classics HD, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports 4, Sky Sports HD1, Sky Sports HD 2, At The Races, Sky Sports HD3, Sky Sports HD4, Sky Sports News HD, Sky News, Fox News, Sky News HD, Sky Box Office, Sky Box Office HD1, Sky Box Office HD2, Pub Channel, Sky Vegas, Sky Poker, National Geographic Channel (part-owned, as are National Geographic+1, National Geographic Wild), NDS Group (part-owned), Twentieth Century Fox, MySpace . . .

. . . and now thanks to David Cameron's greed, the UK.

Have your say
38 Degrees | Murdoch BSkyB takeover petition

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
. . . and now thanks to David Cameron's greed, the UK.

see, political. i note this petition says "while his newspapers stand accused of immoral and criminal activities", potentially libelous since only one has been accused. and since when did allegations prove something? i dont know if the person who wrote that is being simplistic, naive, or just stupid.

anyway, Murdoch already controls BSkyB though having a board stuffed with old mates, so him buying back (for thats what it amounts to) his old business really wont make any difference.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Murdoch was powerful way before Cameron came along. You've got to be naive to think that this is about partisan politics. Murdoch threw his weight behind Labour for ten years. The fact that Cameron might be seen as 'Murdoch's mate' doesn't hide the fact that Blair was happy enough with his patronage.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Murdoc's have no ethics at all, left unregulated you end up with Fox News (US style), pretty dire stuff. This is exactly what he would like in the UK, thankfully we do have some regulation and rules on impartiality at least in broadcast. In the 90's he bowed to pressure from China and removed BBC World TV from Star TV's Asian satellite service as offended the Chinese regime. As for the phone hacking I am not at all suprised.
This government is too close to the Murdoc's that for sure, the BSKYB / Sky merger is a very worrying development. Even if we get get in the Premiership I still won't be getting Sky, there are some things in life you just can't do..

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
i actually cancelled my sky account today which was pretty odd, was before my decision to boycott, but i dont live at the adress were the sky is and dont want to move it to my new address, so cancelled it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm pretty sure I don't use any of his products anyway
the man is a turd and should be arrested on sight
and if you don't think thats right ask the people of Liverpool

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
That is unbelievable .Milly dowlers' phone,Soham victims' phone and now Dead soldiers families.Just what were they looking for? for godsake.:rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here