Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will you be boycotting 'Murdoch products' over phone hacking ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BSkyB is the biggest advertiser in NoTW, so I am not sure there is a huge degree of separation.

so how far do we take it? do we ask the club to refuse the TV money from the Sky?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looking at the guests of Rebekah and Charlie Brooks I spy the names of D.Cameron, R.Murdoch, E. Murdoch and J. Murdoch

Perhaps this explains his wish to accelerate the purchase of BSkyB by News International, before any further revelations come to light?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
so how far do we take it? do we ask the club to refuse the TV money from the Sky?

I know that we've broken our transfer record three times in a month, but I thought that was due to the largesse of Tony Bloom, not money raining down from the sky......... :blush:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And Drew, do you seriously believed that Labour in Government never hacked a phone? Get real pal, this is not about party politics.

Firstly, I don't believe the Tories ever hacked a phone and never suggested they did and similarly I don't believe labour did either. This falls on Cameron's watch coupled with the fact he chose to employ Coulson despite advice to the contrary.

Well The Times isn't out of control. He's a control freak but I doubt he's responsible for everything his papers or organisations do. Piers Morgan was rightly sacked for dodgy pictures, the Mirror's owners weren't punished. But if you want stop watching the Simpsons and miss all the Albion and Champions League games next year, you're welcome to do it

The corporation will reflect his views, some being extreme and some more moderate. Exactly how many left wing papers does he own?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well The Times isn't out of control. He's a control freak but I doubt he's responsible for everything his papers or organisations do. Piers Morgan was rightly sacked for dodgy pictures, the Mirror's owners weren't punished. But if you want stop watching the Simpsons and miss all the Albion and Champions League games next year, you're welcome to do it

Seems you have very shallow morals.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Seems you have very shallow morals.

Why? Because i'm going to watch Sky Sports?

No you're right, i'll sort out my morals. Chris Nash did commentary for Sky Sports the other night, i'll run on the pitch at the 20/20 tonight and smack him, if that doesn't teach Murdoch a lesson, what will?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why? Because i'm going to watch Sky Sports?

No you're right, i'll sort out my morals. Chris Nash did commentary for Sky Sports the other night, i'll run on the pitch at the 20/20 tonight and smack him, if that doesn't teach Murdoch a lesson, what will?

I'll leave you to it as the point obviously went way over your head. As long as your happy with the simpsons everything else in the world will be alright.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Can we stop boycotting non-NI/BSKYB stuff after Sunday then? :shrug:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Right you is Albu. I'll venture to undertake my duties as a right-on citizen then. :cool:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
cunning move by Murdoch, ditching the News of the World. wish i had thought of this two days ago and registered thesunonsunday.co.uk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
cunning move by Murdoch, ditching the News of the World. wish i had thought of this two days ago and registered thesunonsunday.co.uk

Most people see it as a cynical move. I think it might do him more harm in the long run.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Well that's my new comfy bunion tolerant slippers, incontinent pants and adult dvd purchases blocked then !!

Don't forget those ever so tastful plate collections with pictures of kittens, roses or WWII aircraft on them...without which no British home would be complete!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Most people see it as a cynical move.

of course its that too. at the end of the day he's got were he is by being ruthless, why so many dislike him. he also has a track record of being right. the advertisers will say thats ok then and come back (after all they dont advertise in his papers for giggles), and he'll probably work some cost savings out of the process.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'll leave you to it as the point obviously went way over your head. As long as your happy with the simpsons everything else in the world will be alright.

It's not gone over my head, it just makes no sense to me.

Where have you drawn the line then?

Most people see it as a cynical move. I think it might do him more harm in the long run.

I'm not sure it's a cynical move, so much as an obvious business one. The statement yesterday about making a 'decision' to shut down the paper was complete rubbish. The bad publicity (and it's effects on advertisers) meant that the paper was completely unsustainable, as ad revenues would have fallen immediately, circulation would have fallen, ad revenues would have fallen further, etc. The paper would have started making horrendous losses.

I suppose the decision to make the Sun a 7-days-a-week paper was cynical, but their management could easily argue that they are simply filling the gap left by a non-sustainable paper closing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here