Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will you be booing Potter and Chelsea on Saturday?

Will you be booing Potter and/or Chelsea

• Total voters

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think De Zerbi’s prep did that and boldly going 4 up front and come out 100 miles an hour probably did that but we can always call it the booing.
You don’t think the atmosphere at the start added to things? Genuinely? Paired with the performance, it was overwhelming for Chelsea.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You don’t think the atmosphere at the start added to things? Genuinely? Paired with the performance, it was overwhelming for Chelsea.
The atmosphere absolutely, but didn’t think the booing part of it was that significant - roaring our team on as they took it to them, definitely.

We were brilliantly set up and prepared though, tactically spot on, from kick off we were ready, I think regardless of atmosphere the players were well prepared for this one.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Potter seemed really salty that he was on the end of the sort of atmosphere that he would have appreciated the Amex giving the opposition when he was the home manager.

Some advice for him from 1913:

Some folks as come to Sussex,
They reckons as they know –
A durn sight better what to do
Than simple folks, like me and you,
Could possibly suppose.

But them as comes to Sussex,
They mustn't push and shove,
For Sussex will be Sussex,
And Sussex won't be druv!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bore off it was absolutely part of it. Cucurella got lost in it. Completely broke him. Solly put the sword in.
How do you explain a 35minute and 45minute sub for Cucurella in previous games ? Or was he nervous about this upcoming fixture ?

He’s been poor in every game for Chelsea.

But also significantly richer

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Well, I only returned home from “tasks” after the match had started and stuck it on the radio. I booed like billy-o from the sofa, until I realised we were already a goal up, then I mainly just laughed. I feel I’ve got something important out of my system, and can go back to hating Chelsea in a more regular, impersonal style going forward.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Is it ? Dan Ashworth went to Newcastle, Bissouma to Spurs, a really promising youth player in the summer went to Man United. Theses ins/outs happen all the time.
We poached Barber from Spurs, Potter’s team from Swansea, and our young players from all over. This victim stuff is a bit much.
You are well off the pace here chap,..... and for info, Vancouver actually.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Whether you agree with the hostile reception or not, and whether you showed genuine hostility or just some panto villain style stick the return of the turncoats was always going produce a tough atmosphere for them. It was inevitable. Im surprised that the media are suggestion it would have been anything else. I guess they're just trying to make it a controversial story, and paint Brighton fans in a negative way. I loved GP when he was here and am still very thankful for his work, but after leaving us mid season for moneys boys Chelsea and taking all our coaching staff (and now our head of recruitment) he's hardly going to be Mr popular. And in football, be it the ref or an opposition player who's done something vaguely wrong, football fans love to dramatize the story of it make them the villain for the day. One bad decision and its 'wanker, wanker, wanker' to the ref. Or one bad tackle from an opposition player and he get boo'd on every subsequent touch of the ball. So for Potter's return it was always going to be like this. Given what's happened I'd have been more surprised if we had all given GP a big round of applause as he walked onto the pitch, and treated him/Chelsea to a nice afternoon on the coast (and you can bet that the score wouldnt have been 4-1 if we had treated them like that). Maybe a warmer reception would have been the case if he had left in a summer break and only taken Bjorn/Billy with him.

I tried to think of another manager who had left a club our size to go onto bigger and better things at another Prem club and I thought of Pochettino from Southampton to Spurs. And unsurprisingly the reception on his return sounds as if it was the same...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whether you agree with the hostile reception or not, and whether you showed genuine hostility or just some panto villain style stick the return of the turncoats was always going produce a tough atmosphere for them. It was inevitable. Im surprised that the media are suggestion it would have been anything else. I guess they're just trying to make it a controversial story, and paint Brighton fans in a negative way. I loved GP when he was here and am still very thankful for his work, but after leaving us mid season for moneys boys Chelsea and taking all our coaching staff (and now our head of recruitment) he's hardly going to be Mr popular. And in football, be it the ref or an opposition player who's done something vaguely wrong, football fans love to dramatize the story of it make them the villain for the day. One bad decision and its 'wanker, wanker, wanker' to the ref. Or one bad tackle from an opposition player and he get boo'd on every subsequent touch of the ball. So for Potter's return it was always going to be like this. Given what's happened I'd have been more surprised if we had all given GP a big round of applause as he walked onto the pitch, and treated him/Chelsea to a nice afternoon on the coast (and you can bet that the score wouldnt have been 4-1 if we had treated them like that). Maybe a warmer reception would have been the case if he had left in a summer break and only taken Bjorn/Billy with him.

I tried to think of another manager who had left a club our size to go onto bigger and better things at another Prem club and I thought of Pochettino from Southampton to Spurs. And unsurprisingly the reception on his return sounds as if it was the same...

Compare to Potter, mopo was only at the club for a year as well.

Mopo is a class act though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Guessing there were some booing with genuine vitriol but I would suggest that for the majority, it was pure pantomine. It has to be said that, for those there, it also felt like the it was effective.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

broadly agree with just about all of that.

I do think, though, that most of the atmosphere was created by the will to beat Chelsea, rather than pure hostility towards Chelsea - subtle difference. This one mattered!

with the Cucurella thing, it’s easier to accept it when - as with White and Bissouma - there is more of an acceptance that the time is right for someone to move on. With Cucurella, he precipitated it much more himself.

And the Potter thing would not have rankled so much, for me at least, had he just taken with him the coaching staff he’d brought. The total clearout including Ben Roberts and all-time club super-legend Bruno made it far worse. The Winstanley thing is the icing on the cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here