Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will / should Hodgson resign if we go out in the Group phase?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why should he go.

I knew this would happen, same people calling for his head are the same demanding we go for it, play entertaining football and blood new players.

He has done all three, so why should he go?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Should never had the job in the first place. FA are culpable as are the premier league for not have a cap on home grown players imo. Roy is and never has been good enough. I do not know one person who thought he was a good appointment.

Utter bollocks. Who would you have? Are you seriously stupid enough to think that the problem is Roy Hodgson?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Things that need change:

1. Investment in grass roots football - ie training given to those volunteers who coach teams in their own time at no cost on how to coach with real football pitches provided rather than the local wreck which dog turd is cleared before kick off
2. Schools to provide technique and tactics coaching rather than get out their and have a kick about 11 v 11
3. Hodgson has done well with obvious progress in team, now forget results....give the younger new players games ie: Barkley, John stones, sterling, lallana, Sturridge
4. Stop building teams around the Rooney's and Gerard's of our games, it's a team game

But the above won't happen due to media pressure for immediate results and team of the time getting murdered by fans for not scoring 4 goals in every game
:(

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I think people end to step back and think of the positives, they are there and would be bad news if we sacked the manager again

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's only a few hours after the final whistle, we are all disappointed at the result and some punters want Hodgson to go.

We need to take a step back and look at the big picture. Going into this competition we knew that Hodgson was rebuilding a squad and we weren't going to win the Cup. We have created enough decent chances against teams more highly rated and experienced than us. We made a couple of silly defensive mistakes. We didn't quite get the tactics right but didn't get battered.

This tournament has probably come 18 months too soon for the youngsters and 2 years late for Gerrard, neither group are currently at their peak. Gerrard in particular is off the pace - the rampaging Gerrard of say 3 years ago would have dominated the midfield and played much closer to the front, carrying a much greater threat for the opposition. That would have changed the whole dynamic of the England team. We now have to find his successor.

Hodgson was dealt the hand he was given and had to get on with it. To his credit he blooded several youngsters in a major tournament, I cannot recall any England manager making so many changes. I could equally see similar headlines calling for Roy's head if he had played safe and just selected the old guard of Cole, Terry, Rio, Carrick etc plus the likes of Walker, Cleverley, with no guarantee that we would do any better.

Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Henderson, Shaw, Lambert etc have little or no experience in the Champs League and don't have significant experience of international football, they are now playing at a new level. With Chamberlain and Walcott to return we should have a decent squad - except in defence. Somehow the England manager needs to unearth a couple of World class defenders from somewhere. The fundamental problem is that we do not have a conveyor belt of top talent, say like Germany and not enough English players are playing in the PL.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Stick with him. He's good at getting the best out of a very average bunch and now he's prepared to throw in the youngsters - what more can people expect? None of this is his fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im curious, are those calling for Hodgson to go the same ones saying club managers shouldnt be sacked after a year and given more chance to turn things around?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Not in the slgihtest, he put the right team in but they let us down big time. He has done everything what we have been wanting from his predecessors: direct, attacking football and picking the best.

It's the players fault this time, they have let us down even with low expectations they still disappoint.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Shouldn't whether or not a manager or player be dismissed depend on whether or not there is someone available and willing to take the job and be better at it than the current incumbent.

Exactly and if we are staying English (which I think we should as it goes) who else is there? I don't think Pardew or Redknapp would be an upgrade.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Until the Premier League is brought to heel by the FA and football is run for the benefit of all nothing will change so why bother sacking Hodgson ?

That horse has already bolted. The PL runs things and unless the England team's failure starts affecting PL profits, don't expect the PL to do anything to assist the England football team, why should they? It's nothing to do with them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You do realise we've just come up against Italy and Uruguay? This wasn't like 2010 when we looked worse than USA, Algeria and Slovenia. We've played and competed with two top international teams. We didn't look inferior to either. There is definitely progress being made, and unearthing players like Sturridge and Sterling is only going to make us better in the future. I honestly think this tournament exit offers some hope for the future, unlike all the other disasters this century I listed.

Agreed - we have been much,much better than 4 years ago. However, I'm also with Hyperion, mentally we are weak and always come off worse in key moments of games againsty decent opposition.

These aren't contradictory positions.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think Roy has to take some of the blame, before we came to the World Cup, nobody knew who the starting eleven would be for sure. The point of the warm up games, is surely to give the starting eleven as much time together to bond as a team. I see far to many friendlies where the players have half a game and they keep chucking subs on. We need a settled team that is used to playing together, yes use the friendlies to introduce young talent, but surely that would be just one or two at a time and coming on for the last twenty to build the experience.
As for the game last night, SG should have come off at half time, Baines is not good enough defensively, Wayne played where most pundits wanted him to play and yes he had a good game, however it seems at the expense of everyone else. We played a lot better on Friday, so was the change for the better?.
As for long term, the problem is not that we do not have talented youngsters, it's that the big clubs pay them big wages and do not play or develop them. They send a few out on loan to clubs who will pay the money and invest little time in development that they are happy to not work as hard. As for the big clubs it's about stopping other teams getting the youngsters, then about them wanting them. The way forward is for clubs like us to develop young talent.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Yes, because Hodgson is the problem. Same as Cappello, Mcclaren, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc were before him.

I mean, what does a man who has managed Halmstads, Bristol City, IK Oddevold, Örebro SK, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool, West Bromwich Albion
and England, speaks five different languages, has won 9 league titles, 3 cups, taken Fulham to the Europa League final and won the LMA Manager of the year know about football?

It's almost as bad as when we had that nobody in charge who had only won 5 Serie A titles, 5 Suppercoppa Italias, 1 European Super Cup, 2 La Liga titles, and the Champions League, and had only managed also rans such as AC Milan (twice), Real Madrid (twice), Roma and Juventus.

Yes, it's the manager's fault, that's clearly the problem. Let's hound him out again, that will solve the deep rooted problems in English football.

anyone who argues against this is an idiot.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, because Hodgson is the problem. Same as Cappello, Mcclaren, Sven, Keegan, Hoddle, Taylor etc were before him.

I mean, what does a man who has managed Halmstads, Bristol City, IK Oddevold, Örebro SK, Malmö FF, Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland, Fulham, Liverpool, West Bromwich Albion
and England, speaks five different languages, has won 9 league titles, 3 cups, taken Fulham to the Europa League final and won the LMA Manager of the year know about football?

It's almost as bad as when we had that nobody in charge who had only won 5 Serie A titles, 5 Suppercoppa Italias, 1 European Super Cup, 2 La Liga titles, and the Champions League, and had only managed also rans such as AC Milan (twice), Real Madrid (twice), Roma and Juventus.

Yes, it's the manager's fault, that's clearly the problem. Let's hound him out again, that will solve the deep rooted problems in English football.

No, no, no.

It's always the manager's fault. It's vital to England progression on the world stage that the insecure, low-esteem people's need for a scapegoat over-rides all other considerations.

Or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here