Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will / should Hodgson resign if we go out in the Group phase?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I hope Hodgson now has the courage to give more youngsters a chance. Our main problem is in defence so give Shaw, Stones and Flanagan a proper go. Maybe retain Cahill as he does have more international experience and gives me more assurance than Jagielka.

I kept looking at the England central defence last night and recalling just how classy and assuring Upson was for us (and England).

Eric Dier is starting to play more for Sporting now too... good to see.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Not in South Africa he wasn't

Yes but Upson was just as bad as anyone else in that squad! - and he managed to score a goal...... I can recall feeling very meh about Upson for England, plus he wasn't first choice at that time.

Bobby Moore would have struggled to contain Suarez last night, especially with England gifting him his scoring opportunities.

I also recall wondering when he first came to us if Upson was just looking for an easy pay day. Then his debut didn't go too well but his class did rise to the surface and was well suited to the Championship. Player of the Season etc. Now he's up there with Wayne Bridge as being one of our shrewdest deals.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Now he's up there with Wayne Bridge as being one of our shrewdest deals.

Not going to argue with that, and it all ended OK last season with Ward in for Bridge and Bridge hardy playing for Reading. Hope we can find a similar replacement for Upson whilst hanging on to Ward.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's hardly his fault is it?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He seems to have built a positive attitude within the squad and had confidence in bringing through the younger players so I think we should stick with him unless he loses confidence / good will with the squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope Hodgson now has the courage to give more youngsters a chance. Our main problem is in defence so give Shaw, Stones and Flanagan a proper go. Maybe retain Cahill as he does have more international experience and gives me more assurance than Jagielka.

I kept looking at the England central defence last night and recalling just how classy and assuring Upson was for us (and England).
That was the cause of our problem having too many youngsters not ready or up to the job.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I will despair if Roy does not clear out the older players (Gerrard, Rooney) plus some of the lightweights and give as many of the youngest players a run out against Costa Rica, to signal his intent for Euro 2016.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Utter bollocks. Who would you have? Are you seriously stupid enough to think that the problem is Roy Hodgson?

You stay classy Commander

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm glad Hodgson is being given the full 4 years; he's not had the greatest squad to work with and there's no other English manager that would be up to the job.

Hopefully this World Cup is a watershed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You stay classy Commander

Well, do you think it is Hodgson's fault, seriously? Who do you think would have done better? The problem with English football is not with the manager! Even McClaren has been proved to be a very good manager, and he got slaughtered as England boss.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I will despair if Roy does not clear out the older players (Gerrard, Rooney) plus some of the lightweights and give as many of the youngest players a run out against Costa Rica, to signal his intent for Euro 2016.

Yeah, let's ditch our top scorer in qualification and has played a part in both our goals here completely.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Well, do you think it is Hodgson's fault, seriously? Who do you think would have done better? The problem with English football is not with the manager! Even McClaren has been proved to be a very good manager, and he got slaughtered as England boss.

Funny you should mention Mcclaren, because between him and Roy they have both failed compared to Sven and Capello both did a lot better, with both of them, we reached last 16/ quarter finals, which is where England should be. Sorry but we failed at this World Cup, because we are tactically inept on the big stage. Until we start to play like the other teams who slow the game down, play for fouls and encourage the ref to brandish a card, we will always be behind. Costa Rico made Italy look poor today and how did they do that, they hassled and rushed the play maker. I get fed up with people who assume because we do not have the best players, that Roy is doing a good job. That's rubbish, we just do not play to the oppositions weakness. I bet the Italians will not play a high line against Suarez and leave him on the shoulder of the last defender. After getting back in the game against the Italians and yesterday most teams would have shut up shop and played for the draw, its about getting points on the table and not always about winning.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Spot on.

It's the players, our last three managers have won leagues/ cups in numerous countries and also the champions league.

England managers can't win - play attacking football whilst blooding younger players (as was asked for by media and fans) and lose means failure or win and play defensively means failure.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Funny you should mention Mcclaren, because between him and Roy they have both failed compared to Sven and Capello both did a lot better, with both of them, we reached last 16/ quarter finals, which is where England should be. Sorry but we failed at this World Cup, because we are tactically inept on the big stage. Until we start to play like the other teams who slow the game down, play for fouls and encourage the ref to brandish a card, we will always be behind. Costa Rico made Italy look poor today and how did they do that, they hassled and rushed the play maker. I get fed up with people who assume because we do not have the best players, that Roy is doing a good job. That's rubbish, we just do not play to the oppositions weakness. I bet the Italians will not play a high line against Suarez and leave him on the shoulder of the last defender. After getting back in the game against the Italians and yesterday most teams would have shut up shop and played for the draw, its about getting points on the table and not always about winning.

No we failed because we couldn't defend simple crosses and a long ball

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Yeah, let's ditch our top scorer in qualification and has played a part in both our goals here completely.

Well, is he realistically going to play a meaningful part in 2016? He's had 3 World Cups now and scored one goal. Hardly a respectable endorsement.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
why did some idiot start this thread?

Thanks for that.

The fact that it has now run to 10 plus pages suggests it was a reasonable and valid topic for debate, both on here and on national media all day - unless you are some sort of ostrich. or grew up in the former Soviet Union.

The thread wasn't calling for Hodgson to go - it was asking if he would or should. Reasonable in the circumstances, I would have thought.

Before leaving for Brazil, Hodgson would have set the squad some short, medium and long term objectives. The short term objective would have been to qualify from the group. This they failed to do. Having failed in his immediate objective it wouldn't have been surprising if Hodgson himself decided to resign. But it seems you don't think this is something that should be talked about. Lucky you don't set the news agenda.

Looks like the idiot is, in fact, you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here