Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will / should Hodgson resign if we go out in the Group phase?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
No, the first tournament I can remember is Euro 96. Since then, we've underachieved or generally disgraced ourselves far more in 2000, 2004, 2006 and 2010, bearing in mind the players available at those times.

Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Henderson, Walker, Shaw, Hart, Lallana, Wilshere etc will become a team that is better for this experience in the long run.

Bull fu**ing sh**. With respect, heard it all before. Lion heart? More like dicky heart. Why do people over talk and over debate England? We are bloody naive and will continue to be

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, the first tournament I can remember is Euro 96. Since then, we've underachieved or generally disgraced ourselves far more in 2000, 2004, 2006 and 2010, bearing in mind the players available at those times.

Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Henderson, Walker, Shaw, Hart, Lallana, Wilshere etc will become a team that is better for this experience in the long run.

England have not lost both opening games since 56 apparently so this is the biggest let down for you. It was shite and if you are pinning your hopes on the latest set of technically inadequate and creatively inept players then I feel for you as you will be disappointed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Switzerland?

Got Finland to their highest ever ranking & got a Swiss team to their first international finals since nineteen sixty something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bull fu**ing sh**. With respect, heard it all before. Lion heart? More like dicky heart. Why do people over talk and over debate England? We are bloody naive and will continue to be

This.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Cap on foreign players in 25 man squads are needed and we need to improve the number of top qualified coaches and facilities across all levels of football.

B teams are not the answer.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's like all those try hard stat munchers from last season at the Albion, spent all season warranting OG and his boring football and when it came to it, Derby took the pi** out of us.

Stop it please. Stop being blind number crunching zombies.

We have been humbled by an old Italian side and South American side with 2 decent players with a so called "poor defence"

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Until the Premier League is brought to heel by the FA and football is run for the benefit of all nothing will change so why bother sacking Hodgson ?
The Premier League was set up by the FA 'To make the England side stronger and more competitive'. Then they saw how much money could be made thanks to the collective sucking of Murdoch's financial cock. The genie is out of the bottle and The English national side is fecked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You do realise we've just come up against Italy and Uruguay? This wasn't like 2010 when we looked worse than USA, Algeria and Slovenia. We've played and competed with two top international teams. We didn't look inferior to either. There is definitely progress being made, and unearthing players like Sturridge and Sterling is only going to make us better in the future. I honestly think this tournament exit offers some hope for the future, unlike all the other disasters this century I listed.

You need to get some perspective here. Germany rolled out a new young team in 2006 and have been finalists or semi-finalists in every tournament since. England do the same and lose both first games. Progress?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No. Absolutely no. Everyone knew we were going to struggle in this World Cup with the squad we had. No way is it Hodgson's fault, he can only pick from what we have. I did have a vague hope we might have got out of the group phase, but playing Italy and Uruguay as our first 2 games, we were always going to struggle.

Pissed off = Yes
Disappointed = Yes
Unexpected = No

Roll on Euro 2016

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You need to get some perspective here. Germany rolled out a new young team in 2006 and have been finalists or semi-finalists in every tournament since. England do the same and lose both first games. Progress?

But taking that point, and putting it against the original question, the answer is... "it won't make any difference".

And the whole point is that, until the Premier League, FA and Football League merge under one umbrella, offering a focussed, unified approach to the progress of the game in England for all - from grasss roots to the very top - without so much sticking to the fingers of a very few or non-English, the situation with the national side will never get better.

But they won't - the proof being their pathetic offering of the answer being 'create a League 3'.

Until then...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nice fishing trip, Bry

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
You do realise we've just come up against Italy and Uruguay? This wasn't like 2010 when we looked worse than USA, Algeria and Slovenia. We've played and competed with two top international teams. We didn't look inferior to either. There is definitely progress being made, and unearthing players like Sturridge and Sterling is only going to make us better in the future. I honestly think this tournament exit offers some hope for the future, unlike all the other disasters this century I listed.

Precisely this. If we had our 2010 group, we would beaten Algeria and Slovenia comfortably and probably beaten the USA. Top of the group with 7/9 points.

Both our first two games in this World Cup could've easily been Quarter Finals.

I can definitely see progress.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Precisely this. If we had our 2010 group, we would beaten Algeria and Slovenia comfortably and probably beaten the USA. Top of the group with 7/9 points.

Both our first two games in this World Cup could've easily been Quarter Finals.

I can definitely see progress.

I appreciate what you are saying about the quality of the opposition, but the facts are:

Played 2, lost 2, 0 points and bottom of the group.

That isn't the direction of travel I was hoping for.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

In Euro 2012, 6 years after their new, young team was rolled out in 2006, Germany lost to Italy 2-1.

Some would say that in losing 2-1 against Italy 6 years earlier than Germany did after rolling out a new team, England have done considerably better than Germany.

See what you can do if you choose which facts to report and compare carefully enough?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
England have not lost both opening games since 56 apparently so this is the biggest let down for you. It was shite and if you are pinning your hopes on the latest set of technically inadequate and creatively inept players then I feel for you as you will be disappointed.

That's a shit statistic, although the reality probably helps your point, as it ignores when England do not even qualify for the World Cup final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here