[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Gary Neville said on SSN that this, aside from Kane, is the worst injury Southgate could have because ‘there is absolutely zero cover in terms of another dominant English centre back’.

Unbelievable.

It is weird how much of a blind spot we are to the pundits.

Have a feeling if goes well next season that will change.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
It is weird how much of a blind spot we are to the pundits..

Stephen Warnock on Sunday was self appointed President of the Lewis Dunk should play for England fan club...until the red card, which as the next poster said ended that momentum. I think I was distraught as Dunk was.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's worth reflecting that Sir Alf Ramsey picked a team for a World Cup Final that included 7 players outside of the Top 6 in the English top flight, and this in an era when the vast majority of players were actually English.

If you transpose the club finishing positions into today's it would be the equivalent of having your captain and two attackers from Wolves, your right-back from West Brom and your midfield dynamo some kid who has just broken into the Palace team.

The point I'm making is that today the club someone plays for seems to carry a load more weight than it once did, rather than whether that player is actually right for the system the manager wants to play.

Given that Southgate loves to play 3 centre backs with wing-backs it is incredible that he has ignored Dunk for the last 4 seasons, particularly when you consider how many Southgate has tried (other than Maguire and Stones) in that period: Eric Dier, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Michael Keane, Chris Smalling, Fikayo Tomori, Tyrone Mings, Joe Gomez, Conor Coady.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gary Neville said on SSN that ‘there is absolutely zero cover in terms of another dominant English centre back’.

Meanwhile...
[TWEET]1392065303396376578[/TWEET]
It really is getting far, far beyond a joke.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
As Warren Aspinall said on the Albion Unlimited show last night, Southgate's actions go completely against his words.

Southgate has said he will pick players based on how well they are doing for their club. Dunk is having a blinding season and literally is one of the best English CB's so should be a constant in the England squad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As Warren Aspinall said on the Albion Unlimited show last night, Southgate's actions go completely against his words.

Southgate has said he will pick players based on how well they are doing for their club. Dunk is having a blinding season and literally is one of the best English CB's so should be a constant in the England squad.

He's genuinely top 3 alongside Maguire and Stones. The rest some way behind.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I read at the weekend that Dunk's goal was his 11th in the four years that he has been playing in the EPL. It put him on his own above VVD as the top scoring centre back in the division during that time. Not at all bad, especially when you consider that when Duffers was at his best and the top scoring defender for a season, Dunk wasn't even the target for our set pieces. It should be 12 though!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Given that either Southgate finally made his first visit to the Amex when he knew Dunk was suspended, or Dunk got himself suspended when he finally had a chance to impress, I think it's time to draw a veil over the whole business. It's just not going to happen. It's actually probably good for us, but just seems so unfair.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Obviously, this question seems to be settled. Lewis's age seems to be against him now. I just thought it worth mentioning that, with Tomori today following Ben White, Southgate is continuing to pick centre backs that, whilst promising, wouldn't have ever been selected ahead of Dunk by a Brighton manager. Good luck to Fikayo. He was very young when with us and its good to see him progress. He's still not as good as Lewis, but then in that, he's in very good company.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Obviously, this question seems to be settled. Lewis's age seems to be against him now. I just thought it worth mentioning that, with Tomori today following Ben White, Southgate is continuing to pick centre backs that, whilst promising, wouldn't have ever been selected ahead of Dunk by a Brighton manager. Good luck to Fikayo. He was very young when with us and its good to see him progress. He's still not as good as Lewis, but then in that, he's in very good company.

Yep. Maguire is out injured. Stones is currently injured too, and still no room for the towering English defender at the heart of the current third best defence in the Premier League.

Treasure the one cap, Lewis, because that's your lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The nail in his England coffin was the :dunky: at Palace. Southgate was FURIOUS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will be as supportive as usual of an England team containing Tyronne Mings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just have to accept it.

GS isn’t going to bring in a 29 year old who he clearly thinks is substandard. Similarly Tarkowski (28) and Keane (28). Incredibly Keane got 12 caps when even Everton supporters rated him a defensive car crash.

The question for us now is will Webster earn call ups?

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Just have to accept it.

GS isn’t going to bring in a 29 year old who he clearly thinks is substandard. Similarly Tarkowski (28) and Keane (28). Incredibly Keane got 12 caps when even Everton supporters rated him a defensive car crash.

No..... Southgate is a Kn@b his tactics lost us the Euro final

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just have to accept it.

No, he won't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will Tyrone ever NOT play for England again:-

[tweet]1456262108308336655[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports