Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Off the top of my head English centre backs not in the squad better than Mings; Dunk, White, Webster, Tomori, Guehi, Tarkowski, Mee, Konsa, would even have Dan Burn.

I get that he likes Mings and Coady (also bang average) in the squad as cheerleaders who won't rock the boat... but FFS Mings has just been dropped by his club! It's rank bad management and must be really demoralising for those on the fringes of what it is evidently now a closed shop.

It's not just the defence where he is picking his favourites over form either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
WTF is Kane doing in the squad? He's stinking the place out at Spuds at the moment.

Callum Wilson has 4 in the league for a shit Newcastle. Mount, King, Ings, Gallagher, Townsend all have 3 goals in the league. Harry Kane is 97th top scorer with 1 goal. FFS.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It’s a shame for Dunk and England that he’s never picked. He’d make the national team more difficult to beat.

Southgate isn’t doing his job properly and he’s why we’ll struggle to win any tournament.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
WTF is Kane doing in the squad? He's stinking the place out at Spuds at the moment.

Callum Wilson has 4 in the league for a shit Newcastle. Mount, King, Ings, Gallagher, Townsend all have 3 goals in the league. Harry Kane is 97th top scorer with 1 goal. FFS.

In Kane's defence he has scored 9 in 14 for England in 2021 and 7 in 14 across all competitions for Tottenham this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In Kane's defence he has scored 9 in 14 for England in 2021 and 7 in 14 across all competitions for Tottenham this season.

Yeah. Still....league form determines selectability, and that. I also think he's setting a bad example by looking like he's downed tools (even if he's simply not getting any service) at Spuds. I wouldn't pick a Bolshie in my squad ???

(and I'm a fan of Kane).

Actually, stepping back....I vowed to not join the bully boys who love to attack Gareth at every turn (because he looks soft and a dweeb) so I will stop now and accept that Southgate must have his reasons, and there is every chance that all will come good. :rolleyes:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
[QUOTE=he made a the statement when taking over that he would only pick players who were on form …….. clearly not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Southgate on why Lingard, Greenwood and Sancho not in squad.
"They just aren't playing a lot of football"

Number of PL appearances by John Stones this season - 2.
Number of PL appearances by Lewis Dunk - 10.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ye, Kane is always going to be picked. England doesnt have a better striker - end of story.

Stones only played one or two games this season but same thing as with Kane - best in his position. But Maguire, Coady, Mings... how any of these gets the nod over someone like Dunk or White is a mystery.

James Ward-Prowse over Lallana is also a bit of a joke.

But all that said, the upcoming two games are the end of the World Cup qualifiers and I understand why Southgate wouldnt want to do a massive shake-up at this point with so much at stake. I dont agree with his decisions, but they are understandable.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Why do the supposed senior Journos never question Southgate or ask the difficult questions? All, pretty much without exception are far too close to him and don't want to be ostracised by upsetting him or the FA.

Mings and Stones don't get picked by their club managers - but Southgate says he picks players on current form?

As it happens I'd keep all three of Stones, Sterling and Kane in the squad but I wouldn't haven't Mings (or probably Coady) anywhere near the squad.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Why do the supposed senior Journos never question Southgate or ask the difficult questions? All, pretty much without exception are far too close to him and don't want to be ostracised by upsetting him or the FA.

Mings and Stones don't get picked by their club managers - but Southgate says he picks players on current form?

As it happens I'd keep all three of Stones, Sterling and Kane in the squad but I wouldn't haven't Mings (or probably Coady) anywhere near the squad.

probably as he has proven record so far

WC semi
Nations league final
Euros Final
Qualified

Cant really knock it

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

WC semi
Nations league final
Euros Final
Qualified

Cant really knock it

you can, and I will...

he lost us the semi final through starting an injured Kane and sticking with him and not changing his tactics when we clearly need too.
he lost us the final with his lack of courage again to change the tactics when it was clear as daylight and unforgivably sending on the kids to take penalties....

awful, awful decisions.

It is fine beating weak teams and qualifying, but when we should and have a squad capable of beating anyone on our day, why do we always fail ? he is part of that failed mindset from the under performing "golden generation" of the 80's/90's/00's.

Disappointing

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think Mings was only dropped for one game (and then came on anyway). The issue with Mings isn't that he's not playing regularly but that he is regularly playing dreadfully

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Random probably incorrect thought: Dunk is captain, and Southgate doesn't look like he puts two club level captains in the same position. Pickford, Maguire, Henderson and Kane from a quick look. One in each role. The one appearance Dunk made he was the only club level captain among the back 4. For as long as Maguire is in the team then Dunk won't be if that's correct, and lesser talents will be. Doesn't justify why Maguire seems to be chosen regardless of form but does perhaps explain why others are chosen over Dunk.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
White missing is more baffling than Dunk for me

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Random probably incorrect thought: Dunk is captain, and Southgate doesn't look like he puts two club level captains in the same position. Pickford, Maguire, Henderson and Kane from a quick look. One in each role. The one appearance Dunk made he was the only club level captain among the back 4. For as long as Maguire is in the team then Dunk won't be if that's correct, and lesser talents will be. Doesn't justify why Maguire seems to be chosen regardless of form but does perhaps explain why others are chosen over Dunk.

Are there any other club captains who have a claim for an England squad place that aren't being picked?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

WC semi
Nations league final
Euros Final
Qualified

Cant really knock it

We beat ONE decent side in those two tournaments - Germany in the Euros.

When the chips were down (Croatia in the WC Semi and Italy in the Euro final ) he was found wanting.

(Nations league - really?)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Mings is captain of Villa isn’t he?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
White missing is more baffling than Dunk for me

100% this.

He picks White last season when although playing 'well', he wasn't playing at the top of his game.

Now he leaves him out (and he's been great for Arsenal recently) and yet continues to pick Mings who has been dropped by Villa.

Baffling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
you can, and I will...

he lost us the semi final through starting an injured Kane and sticking with him and not changing his tactics when we clearly need too.
he lost us the final with his lack of courage again to change the tactics when it was clear as daylight and unforgivably sending on the kids to take penalties....

awful, awful decisions.

It is fine beating weak teams and qualifying, but when we should and have a squad capable of beating anyone on our day, do we always fail, he is part of that failed mindset from the "golden generation" of the 80's/90's/00's.

Disappointing

100% with you, he 's a tactical moron when he comes up against a half decent manager of a good team. Totally incapable of reading what is happening and what changes are needed when the balance of play swings. Just sticks with plan A regardless as far as I can tell. I could be wrong as I don't watch that many England games but I do watch the big ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here