Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Kuipers get a new contract?

D

Deleted member 2719

FDM is a fine natural athlete and has a few good years still in him at League level, either here or somewhere else.

Oh, and the Albion owe him a testimonial year or the cash equivalent. Bigtime.

I agree, IMO he deserves to step out to Falmer that's thinking with my heart and with my head he still deserves to step out at Falmer, i just worry about Gus and his 'I want completely my own team agenda' it may just spoil it for what i believe the best and most consistent goalie at the Albion since i have been going.

FDM :bowdown:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If we are serious about pushing for promotion then we should really be letting Kuipers go and keeping Brezovan a back-up to a new keeper that is better than either of them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree, IMO he deserves to step out to Falmer that's thinking with my heart and with my head he still deserves to step out at Falmer, i just worry about Gus and his 'I want completely my own team agenda' it may just spoil it for what i believe the best and most consistent goalie at the Albion since i have been going.

FDM :bowdown:

The manager wants his own team, and you label that an 'agenda', like its something sinister.

What a ridiculous comment.

Its not even true, either. He built our recovery on centre-halves from our youth set-up and four midfielders signed by Slade.

Gus very much wants 'his team'. He's been very clear about that. But, what he means by that is a team playing his style of play, rather than his personnel. If a player fits in with that [Bennett, Crofts, etc] they have a place in 'Gus' team'. If they don't [Whing, Virgo] then they don't.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Just how many people do you think would turn up for a pointless game against the likes of Watford reserves,the calibre of team we always get for testimonials.He could make more money by being given a withdean burger franchise for a year. FDM former dutch marine burger flipper has a certain ring to it.

He'd get a major turn-out if he gets his testimonial - regardless of the opposition. FACT.

Btw, I'd give him another year here. I personally think that we've got enough quality between the sticks already for League One football.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We saw with Smith that a poor goalkeeper can turn a competent defensive unit into a shipwreck in under 90 minutes.

I do think that the combination of Brezovan and Kuipers should be good enough to get us out of this league, certainly with Brez as number one. However if he was injured or lost form we would have to return to a very different style of keeping - Kuipers is a great shot stopper but doesn't come off his line or command his area like Brez and he is very quick to blame his defence. His distribution is also slower so all-in-all I think he might have a detrimental effect on our style of play if called on and - as we have seen - the confidence of defenders once lost can take time to recover (witness the change in Elphick over the two "halves" of this season).

So sadly, for me, it's time for Kuipers to hand in his gloves.
Who knows, maybe he and Hart will look after the development squad although I think/hope not

People seem to forget that Michel didn't do too badly in our seasons in the Championship. Indeed we suffered without him when he knackered his shoulder with Commons.

I think he has the ability, attitude and temperament to be an asset to the club and I hope he is given the chance

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Signed for two years according to Seagulls.co.uk - I would check your sources!

What are you questioning here; whether MK will get a new contract? Whether we are looking for a new No. 1? or simply PB has a 2 year deal instead of a 1 year deal?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
People seem to forget that Michel didn't do too badly in our seasons in the Championship. Indeed we suffered without him when he knackered his shoulder with Commons.

I think he has the ability, attitude and temperament to be an asset to the club and I hope he is given the chance

That was four years ago. He has not shown that form in the last two seasons and certainly not since Gus has been here. Can't see him being given a contract based on the last six months, which is what Gus will be making his decision from. Severnside's point about him being a diiferent type of 'keeper, from Brezovan, is a good one too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Nonsense. No-one is forgetting how good he WAS, at all. If we could offer a 2 year deal, to the Kuipers of 2004, then I'm sure we would. Unless Gus has a time machine, however, its time to look elsewhere, IMO. like.

That was four years ago. He has not shown that form in the last two seasons and certainly not since Gus has been here. Can't see him being given a contract based on the last six months, which is what Gus will be making his decision from. Severnside's point about him being a diiferent type of 'keeper, from Brezovan, is a good one too.

This.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Kuipers is a quality keeper and should be offered a new contract for two years. People says he isn't good enough yet have no evidence to back that up. Poyet came in, and has slowly organised the defence while FDM has been injured. Everyone thinks Brezovan is the only reason and Kuipers was the reason we're so shit. Frankly, no, the defence was leaking like a siv most of the season and Kuipers had to deal with it. Brezovan came in when the defence was being shored up by Tarricco and Poyet and has an easier job because of it.

People can't suddenly doubt Kuip's obvious ability because the whole team let in many a goal during most of the season. Michel deserves a contract not only on the basis that he is a good keeper with stunning reflexes, is a model pro and a loyal servant to the club but also because Brezovan is on a similar level to Kuipers so offering deals to one but not the other would be ridiculous.

Kuipers deserves his contract and if he doesn't get it, it will be a sad day for the whole club because it would be the wrong decision.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Kuipers is a quality keeper and should be offered a new contract for two years. People says he isn't good enough yet have no evidence to back that up. Poyet came in, and has slowly organised the defence while FDM has been injured. Everyone thinks Brezovan is the only reason and Kuipers was the reason we're so shit. Frankly, no, the defence was leaking like a siv most of the season and Kuipers had to deal with it. Brezovan came in when the defence was being shored up by Tarricco and Poyet and has an easier job because of it.

People can't suddenly doubt Kuip's obvious ability because the whole team let in many a goal during most of the season. Michel deserves a contract not only on the basis that he is a good keeper with stunning reflexes, is a model pro and a loyal servant to the club but also because Brezovan is on a similar level to Kuipers so offering deals to one but not the other would be ridiculous.

Kuipers deserves his contract and if he doesn't get it, it will be a sad day for the whole club because it would be the wrong decision.

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have read in a long time. I know Kuipers inspires over the top loyalty in a lot of fans (so much so that they slag off any other keeper who dares to challenge him) but this is simply ridiculous.

Firstly, all the crap about his loyalty is complete rubbish if you believe what you read on here. He has demanded a transfer on a couple of occasions apparently when dropped from the side and only stayed because nobody has come in for him (admittedly this is from what I hear rather than first hand knowledge but it seems to be generally accepted).

Secondly, Brezovan is younger and less injury prone so even if they were regarded as on a similar level, it would be logical to keep Brezovan of the two of them. However, in my mind Brezovan is Kuipers equal in shot stopping and clearly better off his line and with distribution so they are not equal.

Thirdly, the defence was still leaking goals when Brezovan came in for Kuipers at Leeds and soon after we conceded only 1 goal in 6 games. The only changes to the defence from earlier games was Brezovan and El Abd for Kuipers and Virgo. I am not saying Brezovan was the only factor by any means but I think he gets less credit than he deserves. Calderon and Painter are hailed as major reasons behind our upturn in form whereas Brezovan gets a lot less credit.

Finally, I agree it will be a sad day when players like Kuipers and Hart are released. However, we have to move forward as a club and our problem in previous years has been keeping players out of loyalty rather than playing ability. Having said this, I wouldn't be too upset if Kuipers got a new contract, although I think we need a new keeper to compete with Brezovan, but giving him a two year deal at this stage of his career would be ludicrous, in my view.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
The way I see it is people are saying offer Kuipers a contract because he has been a 'loyal servant' to the club not on his goalkeeping abillity. And to be honest if we want to be in the championship by falmer we need a championship keeper to do so or at the very least we need to have a top leauge one keeper and I think we just about have that in Brezovan. If Kuipers does get a new contact i would hope it would be on back up basis only (unless Brezovan has a string of absolute shocker)as IMO hes is not good enough to be our number one in our promotion push.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That is the biggest load of rubbish I have read in a long time. I know Kuipers inspires over the top loyalty in a lot of fans (so much so that they slag off any other keeper who dares to challenge him) but this is simply ridiculous.

Firstly, all the crap about his loyalty is complete rubbish if you believe what you read on here. He has demanded a transfer on a couple of occasions apparently when dropped from the side and only stayed because nobody has come in for him (admittedly this is from what I hear rather than first hand knowledge but it seems to be generally accepted).

Secondly, Brezovan is younger and less injury prone so even if they were regarded as on a similar level, it would be logical to keep Brezovan of the two of them. However, in my mind Brezovan is Kuipers equal in shot stopping and clearly better off his line and with distribution so they are not equal.

Thirdly, the defence was still leaking goals when Brezovan came in for Kuipers at Leeds and soon after we conceded only 1 goal in 6 games. The only changes to the defence from earlier games was Brezovan and El Abd for Kuipers and Virgo. I am not saying Brezovan was the only factor by any means but I think he gets less credit than he deserves. Calderon and Painter are hailed as major reasons behind our upturn in form whereas Brezovan gets a lot less credit.

Finally, I agree it will be a sad day when players like Kuipers and Hart are released. However, we have to move forward as a club and our problem in previous years has been keeping players out of loyalty rather than playing ability. Having said this, I wouldn't be too upset if Kuipers got a new contract, although I think we need a new keeper to compete with Brezovan, but giving him a two year deal at this stage of his career would be ludicrous, in my view.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Well according to the man himself he is. When asked at Withdean gym whether he would be here next year, he replied confidently "yes for sure".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here