Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hoskins Twitter

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course we all have the right to criticise, I just feel that he gives more to the team than many people want to see and in my view he gets a particularly hard time across this forum. Likewise though I agree with your sentiments that he also throws in mediocre performances and just hope that his contribution continues to grow as I believe that a slightly more attacking edge from us will bring about more to his game. Hopefully his petulance is at an end (I know its a big trust) and that he can move forward with the team

Couldn't agree more. Adding that, hopefully, Oscar plays him more as a striker, than a midfielder a la Gus. Ash's best games seem to be as a striker; his natural position IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hoskins went to Sheffield Utd with a hernia problem, when what he should have done was stayed with us and get properly fit. But like all players, he wanted to play. As it was he did more damage, and needed to have an op before the end of the season anyway. His injuries have been bad luck, and the last I heard was that he was running and things were looking good for a September return

You have more faith in him (well, his injury record) than me. Still think we should have released him, invested in another striker. But here's hoping he can shake his injuries, and finally contribute to the team.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not exactly my favourite player. His 4 misses v forest when we drew 0-0 was the final straw.

Very little return for his transfer fee and 2 years wages.

Thing is before that game we were not creating much at all . Hoskins started and was involved in all sorts . Yes it didn't go for him but the team benefited from him that day

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
You have more faith in him (well, his injury record) than me. Still think we should have released him, invested in another striker. But here's hoping he can shake his injuries, and finally contribute to the team.

I agree with BW. Should have released him but be more than happy of course if he turns out to be a huge success. I always agree with BW. He is the font of all knowledge.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
I think that a fit Hoskins is like a new signing! (trouble is - I am sure I said this last year!)

Trouble is I fear he would be like a new signing if we were in Division 1. Have a feeling its just not going to work out for him in Championship. Knight was a better finisher but never made the grade in Championship and in those intervening years I feel the quality required has gone up rather than down. Paynter, good in Division 1 but next year my guess is he'll prove he is not up to Championship.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
He had recovered from his op back in April at the sponsors dinner and was going to resume training when they all came back from their summer break. Maybe he has injured his knee again? I remember Blackwell had a problem where his op had gone well but whenever he tried to train with more exertion, it started swelling badly.

I heard this morning that this is the case and he is going to be sidelined again for some time. Really hope its not true but fear the worst. I wonder if our transfer budget will stretch to another striker as well as two midfielders and a first choice left back as that's what I think we'll need.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I have been all willing for us to keep Hoskins on the off chance that a gamble of getting him fit would pay off...However, I think that the time has now come to cut our losses...Especially at a time, where as fans, we are being asked to pay more.

Even if he does get fully fit, then is he good enough to play in the Premier league? Also, what if he did get fit and score goals and then the end of next year, holds us to ransom over an increased wage...No, sorry not worth it anymore.

I would rather we let him go and enable him to start again at another club while he is still young enough.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I have been all willing for us to keep Hoskins on the off chance that a gamble of getting him fit would pay off...However, I think that the time has now come to cut our losses...Especially at a time, where as fans, we are being asked to pay more.

Even if he does get fully fit, then is he good enough to play in the Premier league? Also, what if he did get fit and score goals and then the end of next year, holds us to ransom over an increased wage...No, sorry not worth it anymore.

I would rather we let him go and enable him to start again at another club while he is still young enough.

This completely, very sensible post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, what if he did get fit and score goals and then the end of next year, holds us to ransom over an increased wage...No, sorry not worth it anymore.

By that logic we should get rid of our ENTIRE squad. They could all do that.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Not that I disagree with you but who out of our current squad is good enough to play in the prem at the moment?

Bricutt probably, Buckley maybe, PiG maybe, Ulloa maybe.

Also cut our losses?? Why? He is contracted so surely we'd have to pay up his contract to get rid of him. Given the size of our squad currently I'd say we need all the senior pros we can get. People said the exact same thing about Vicnete, not saying it's going to work out the same but we might as well let the lad see out his contract.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not that I disagree with you but who out of our current squad is good enough to play in the prem at the moment?

Also, last time I checked, we are in the Championship.

I wouldn't really worry that we don't have 'prem' players yet.

I find most of the prem players will be in the...ummm....well you get the idea.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd say any striker needs a decent injury free run in the first team before anyone should start to judge them, not that that will stop the usual NSC binfest

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I heard this morning that this is the case and he is going to be sidelined again for some time. Really hope its not true but fear the worst. I wonder if our transfer budget will stretch to another striker as well as two midfielders and a first choice left back as that's what I think we'll need.

We play one up top. We don't need more than 5 strikers.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

Sadly this is what I am hearing too. Could be out for the whole season apparently!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'd say any striker needs a decent injury free run in the first team before anyone should start to judge them, not that that will stop the usual NSC binfest

No come on,that's far too sensible.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Could be out for the whole season apparently!
Groan...... just when I was getting excited about our attacking options for the coming season, potentially someone to add a different approach,...... oh well, that would appear to be that if he is crocked again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is a joke isn't it ???

3 years wages and transfer fee for pretty much no return.

We signed him for £500,000 and a 2 year deal. The 2 year deal ended, after scoring 2 goals. Surely we didn't have a "play 5 games and we'll add a third year" clause to the deal?! What a waste of money. It was a mistake giving him a new contract, even before any hint of a longer term absence. If he is out for the season then I reckon he should be employed in another role at the club, get him working with the kit man or something. Make him work for his inflated wage packet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here