Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilko Johnson

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I've never seen that doco but would love to. Does it talk about the Frankie Goes To Hollywood rumours? Apparently Wilco and Norman (Watt Roy) played guitar and bass on all FGTH's hits and stood behind the curtains playing the songs live for the few "concerts" FGTH "played". I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon and it certainly looked like they were faking it! Wilco is a legend in Southend where here my family lives, my brothers and a bunch of their mates are all on first name terms with Wilco and Norman, some even having played withh them in a few pub and touring bands. Lots of grief going on that way, a lovely bloke by all accounts.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I never was into the punk scene, although I loved a modern re formed Dt Feelgood a few years back... However, Wilko was on the Paul Jones radio show back in March.....His comments about accepting the cancer and his courage in facing up to it were truly inspirational
If it ever happens to me, I hope that I can face it in the same way.

Rock on Wilco

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Good to see he's feeling well enough to play at three blues festivals this summer.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've never seen that doco but would love to. Does it talk about the Frankie Goes To Hollywood rumours? Apparently Wilco and Norman (Watt Roy) played guitar and bass on all FGTH's hits and stood behind the curtains playing the songs live for the few "concerts" FGTH "played". I saw them at Hammersmith Odeon and it certainly looked like they were faking it! Wilco is a legend in Southend where here my family lives, my brothers and a bunch of their mates are all on first name terms with Wilco and Norman, some even having played withh them in a few pub and touring bands. Lots of grief going on that way, a lovely bloke by all accounts.

I've always found these FGTH rumours slightly baffling. Wilco's style was not exactly in keeping with the Trevor Horn production style that frankie trie to emulate on stage.

Loved the Feelgoods though. Saw them at Hammersmith in 74 and the Reading Festival in, I guess, 75. Then with Gypie Mayo on guitar at Crawley Leisure centre a few years later. "Stupidity" is one of the all-time great live albums.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A pedant writes:

Please everybody, his name is Wilko - not Wilco.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Great news - as he's still feeling hale and hearty Wilko has announced two London gigs for next month. Long may he continue.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Even better news - the great man is well enough to book gigs through to March including a trip to Japan. No Sussex dates but we can live in hope!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I love it when this is bounced and it's such good news

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Even better news - the great man is well enough to book gigs through to March including a trip to Japan. No Sussex dates but we can live in hope!

That really is great news. I can now depart to Snorington with a warm, positive feeling - after enduring a particularly rubbish day.

Cheers Catsta. :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
He was booked for one show - having played the Forum many times over the years - but it sold out so quickly another was added. And then another. There are only tickets available for the Weds show now. A great place to watch him, hot sweaty, a proper live music venue. Oh, and you might just see me.

Thanks for the heads up - booked :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here