Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilko Johnson

I bought this just before Xmas. Not watched it yet. I heard a doc on the radio and found the whole Canvey Island scene fascinating and a little bizarre to be honest. Shame about the main fella.

Excellent documentary, very atmospheric and quirky, as is Wilko's biog.

Brother in law lives near Canvey. A few years ago when visiting him we were at a loss for something to do and go out (his partner was poorly "with child" and wanted a rest). So on a grey, damp, November Sunday afternoon we went to Canvey Island. Parked in a car park near the a closed funfair and parade of amusement arcades and went up on to the sea/river wall - for some unknown reason Mrs P and the small P's elected to stay in the car. Looking out over the murky Thames to Kent on the far side I did get a very brief feel as to the atmosphere of this unique bit of England.

Bradley Wiggins earned several more cool points (not that he really needs them) by stating in an interview that Wilko is one of his favourite guitarists.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What shit news. Wilko at the Komedia was the last gig I went to.

The man IS some kind of hero

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I saw him at Worthing at few years ago, and with the Feelgoods about thirty odd years ago. That was an awesome gig.

I am saddened by this news.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Never saw Wilko, except on telly .....I did see the later line up of Dr Feelgood when they played around here a few years back , singer was Robert Kane ...they were awesome, a night to remember

Sad news about the man....The article says that he has vowed to keep rockin' 'till the end. That is the spirit of a true rock musician.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He also cut some peasants tongue as Sir Illyn in A Game of Thrones.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Always loved the start of this song. Wilko!

When that other band called Wilco first came out I thought the man had formed a new band and just called it after himself.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Very sad to learn this - just finished reading his biography which is excellent. A good many years since I saw him play live but his unique style was something to be marvelled at. My "if you could spend a day in the past...." wishj would be watching the original Feelgoods playing live at a a small sweaty club somewhere.

As one who did, at The Greyhound in Richmond, I can tell you it was very memorable.
Sweaty, packed to the gills, exciting, and hard work to catch glimpses of the staccato strumming and razor soloing energetic maniac robot Wilko. Sensational!
I bought the debut 45 released a week later and joined the Dr's fan club.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
That interview on Front Row was remarkable - so typically Wilko. I can't describe how much I'm going to miss him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent documentary, very atmospheric and quirky, as is Wilko's biog.

Brother in law lives near Canvey. A few years ago when visiting him we were at a loss for something to do and go out (his partner was poorly "with child" and wanted a rest). So on a grey, damp, November Sunday afternoon we went to Canvey Island. Parked in a car park near the a closed funfair and parade of amusement arcades and went up on to the sea/river wall - for some unknown reason Mrs P and the small P's elected to stay in the car. Looking out over the murky Thames to Kent on the far side I did get a very brief feel as to the atmosphere of this unique bit of England.

Bradley Wiggins earned several more cool points (not that he really needs them) by stating in an interview that Wilko is one of his favourite guitarists.

I finally got round to watching this documentary a few weeks back. Fascinating stuff and I never realised how big Dr Feelgood were before Milk and Alcohol. In fact this single was a bit of an after thought and not really representative of the band. Well, this is my take any way. I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Still haven't got round to seeing Oil City Confidential, but had a memorable night out on Canvey a few years ago. British Sea Power - who have a song called Canvey Island about the 1953 floods - played the Monaco night club. The evening was kind of sponsored by Canvey Island FC, and the band wore the team's shirts for the gig. For the usual full-on mental encore of 'Rock in A', Wilko himself joined them on stage. There was some footage of this somewhere, but sadly looks like it's been taken down (all I can find is this clip of them doing Canvey Island: British Sea Power - Canvey Island @ eponymous, Feb 7, 2008 - YouTube ). Fantastic evening.

A "heads up" to use the modern vernacular to let you all know that the superb "Oil City Confidential" is on BBC4 tonight 23:35 to 01:25. The music shows preceding appear to be worth a look as well. Set the VHS or Betamax if it is past your bed time.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
For anyone interested, a new series of the very good 'Mastertapes' has started on BBC Radio 4, these are always in 2 parts called 'The A Side' and 'The B Side', the first (double) episodes are with Wilko Johnson, now available on the iPlayer.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Both programmes are well worth a listen - some superb anecdotes from the great man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here