Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was the Calais thread moved to "Other Stuff"?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many women and children are there ? Would you leave your wife and kids behind to flee for safety ?

Blokes running off and leaving wife and kid(s) behind? Come on, it happens in every country and every social strata going on a daily basis.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can "The Big Board" just be for football discussion?

If I want a discussion about Chinese eating dogs or Immigration I would not go to the main forum to have that...

What's there to discuss about football?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As i said previously , that's working out well at the moment isn't it ? We cant get rid of people who've raped 14 year old girls you clown , have you seen the trouble we have with ''asylum seekers'' and the appeals process ? Of course not, you're in Australia........

Well you are right about one thing I have no idea what you are on about? What is the problem with the application process?

last time i looked about 40% of asylum seekers did not have their applications processed even after an appeal. Seems like a system doing a reasonable job in difficult circumstances to me.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

There is no grey area. The EU has its own "internal" regulations about processing asylum seekers its called the Dublin Agreement.(Regulation (EU) No 604/2013)

article xii states

Where it is established, on the basis of proof or circumstantial evidence as described in the two lists mentioned in Article 22(3) of this Regulation, including the data referred to in Regulation (EU) No 603/2013, that an applicant has irregularly crossed the border into a Member State by land, sea or air having come from a third country, the Member State thus entered shall be responsible for examining the application for international protection.

‘third-country national’ means any person who is not a citizen of the Union within the meaning of Article 20(1) TFEU and who is not national of a State which participates in this Regulation by virtue of an agreement with the European Union;

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is no grey area. The EU has its own "internal" regulations about processing asylum seekers its called the Dublin Agreement.(Regulation (EU) No 604/2013)

article xii states

Where it is established, on the basis of proof or circumstantial evidence as described in the two lists mentioned in Article 22(3) of this Regulation, including the data referred to in Regulation (EU) No 603/2013, that an applicant has irregularly crossed the border into a Member State by land, sea or air having come from a third country, the Member State thus entered shall be responsible for examining the application for international protection.

‘third-country national’ means any person who is not a citizen of the Union within the meaning of Article 20(1) TFEU and who is not national of a State which participates in this Regulation by virtue of an agreement with the European Union;

It also states that a person cannot be denied Asylum on the basis that they have passed through another safe state. it is up to the recipient of the application to decide if to send that applicant back to the original country. My understanding is that this doesn't happen often due to the overarching ideas of the convention being about international cooperation in the problem and for the fact that is causes a disparity of numbers across signatories of the convention. Also if a person has ties or connections with a certain country they can request asylum from there.

http://www.unhcr.org/3ae68ccec.html

Like I said a bit of a grey area and one which i think needs addressing.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Blokes running off and leaving wife and kid(s) behind? Come on, it happens in every country and every social strata going on a daily basis.
Yes it does, but not leaving them ''in danger and fear of their lives '', certainly not by anyone with any moral fibre, are you suggesting that someone who has just got on their toes and left his wife and children behind in mortal danger is someone who we would want in this country ??

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well you are right about one thing I have no idea what you are on about? What is the problem with the application process?

last time i looked about 40% of asylum seekers did not have their applications processed even after an appeal. Seems like a system doing a reasonable job in difficult circumstances to me.
Its just not worth responding to you, youre so far away as to be clueless , reasonable job ?????:facepalm:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes it does, but not leaving them ''in danger and fear of their lives '', certainly not by anyone with any moral fibre, are you suggesting that someone who has just got on their toes and left his wife and children behind in mortal danger is someone who we would want in this country ??

wtf? :facepalm:

Can you tell all this from a picture on the telly too?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It also states that a person cannot be denied Asylum on the basis that they have passed through another safe state.

That is correct they cant,however

"If the applicant has been living for periods of time of at least five months in several Member States, the Member State where he or she has been living most recently shall be responsible for examining the application for international protection."

which brings us nicely back to the point where the French are doing as little as possible in the hope the migrants make it our way,knowing they will have responsibility for them when a period of time elapses

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That is correct they cant,however

"If the applicant has been living for periods of time of at least five months in several Member States, the Member State where he or she has been living most recently shall be responsible for examining the application for international protection."

which brings us nicely back to the point where the French are doing as little as possible in the hope the migrants make it our way,knowing they will have responsibility for them when a period of time elapses

agree entirely which also brings us back to the fact that the UK take half as many applications as the French and maybe they think it is only fair to send a few more over the channel.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
agree entirely which also brings us back to the fact that the UK take half as many applications as the French and maybe they think it is only fair to send a few more over the channel.

which brings us back to not everyone considers the french viewpoint is valid

i see where this is going

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
which brings us back to not everyone considers the french viewpoint is valid

i see where this is going

round in circles?

So neither government wants to deal with the problem and it just sits there getting worse.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
wtf? :facepalm:

Can you tell all this from a picture on the telly too?
Did you bother to read the post that this was replying to , or were you too busy playing to the right on gallery in your determination to be ''outraged and flabbergasted'' at my ''ignorance'' ?

PS You can substitute ignorance for Realism if you want to join the real world.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Did you bother to read the post that this was replying to , or were you too busy playing to the right on gallery in your determination to be ''outraged and flabbergasted'' at my ''ignorance'' ?

PS You can substitute ignorance for Realism if you want to join the real world.

Yes i read it (twice), and i stand by my post.

Are you going to kick out anybody who leaves their wife in danger too or is your indignation only reserved for foreigners?

What about people who put their wives in danger? are you going on a deportation crusade against domestic violence?

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Actually the thread was about why another thread about a strike in Calais was moved.

Still England do have a fairly unique problem in that you are surrounded by water so it is much easier to keep Asylum Seekers out. Perhaps this is why Germany take so many more than the UK.

Germany has a similar population to England bit is a bigger country.
Here's an idea, your country is about 30 times the size of England with about a quarter of our population, you seem keen on us taking them...
You take them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Germany has a similar population to England bit is a bigger country.
Here's an idea, your country is about 30 times the size of England with about a quarter of our population, you seem keen on us taking them...
You take them.

Would love to. Bit short on water here though (there is always something isn't there)

Seriously though, I am trying to do exactly that because i think that we have a responsibility to do our share to solve a global problem. Sadly there is bi partizan agreement here that we should do all we can to shirk those responsibilities. Still I will keep doing what I can.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bushy might be the board's very own purple headed angry Ian Foot type character, but at least he lives here. If there's one thing worse than a tedious preachy bell-end, it's one who lives 13,000 fking miles away. I subscribe to the view that if you're not British or don't live here, then keep your nose out of British affairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here