Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was the Calais thread moved to "Other Stuff"?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The French want the border moved back to UK, if we did that it would be an absolute disaster for this country. There would be hundreds of thousands of people making their way to the UK. Once these people land on our doorstep they would refuse to the leave the UK. Like the idiots we are in this country we would offer them the chance to appeal against deportation and once that was rejected we would them offer them another chance, and another chance after this. All this rubbish costs this country hundreds of millions of pounds a year, when the reality is the EU should be handling this situation at source, otherwise what are we paying 50 million pounds a day for. These people are illegal with a large majority being economic migrants using the problems in other countries as an excuse to try and get in to this country.

This is quite the most bonkers idea i have heard from the French......again.
They signed a treaty with the UK regarding border controls on each others soil,of course if they wish to renegotiate treaties they are welcome to put their view across and proposals but when it comes to everything EU the French have been rather dismissive of ideas about renegotiation of treaties recently.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Why not let them come? Process them, offer the real Asylum seekers refugee status and arrange deprotation for those who are bogus. Problem solved, no more migrants and asylume seekers in calais, locals able to get on with their lives. Same situation as every other country (well those that don't have the luxury of being an Island anyway) in the world finds themselves in.

The UK has pretty stingent processes to find out true asylum seekers, why not use them?

You make a good point, however what are the French doing about it, why don't they process them? The problem is the the French are more then happy to have them as long as they keep trying to get into England.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well the thread was about the migrants in Calais trying to get to England, so you'd think it was a problem for us, unless they are in Calais jumping on lorries bound for Germany.

Actually the thread was about why another thread about a strike in Calais was moved.

Still England do have a fairly unique problem in that you are surrounded by water so it is much easier to keep Asylum Seekers out. Perhaps this is why Germany take so many more than the UK.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You make a good point, however what are the French doing about it, why don't they process them? The problem is the the French are more then happy to have them as long as they keep trying to get into England.

Well given that France take more than twice as many asylum applications as the UK, they might think that Britain should pull its finger out and help.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24636868

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Actually the thread was about why another thread about a strike in Calais was moved.

Still England do have a fairly unique problem in that you are surrounded by water so it is much easier to keep Asylum Seekers out. Perhaps this is why Germany take so many more than the UK.
Germany is a much much larger country than England. Almost three times the size. France also. Do you think it's fair for everyone to keep squeezing into an ever smaller space? Maybe that's part of the problem.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have the perfect solution.

1.Build a load of sporting facilities in Calais.
2.get all the migrants, asylum seekers etc to run around a track, kick a football, hit a tennis ball etc
3.pick those that show some talent and allow them asylum status
4.the rest of them can go back to whichever horrible place they come from.

We have unearthed some gems like mo Farrah, so there must be some of thes Eritreans who can run for us.

Simples...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Germany is a much much larger country than England. Almost three times the size. France also. Do you think it's fair for everyone to keep squeezing into an ever smaller space? Maybe that's part of the problem.

So we are sharing the refugee problem based on who is best able to support them?

Major-refugee-hosting-countries.png

Not very well.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They are a bigger country, and until you process them, how do you know they are genuine? The EU need to step in and get them processed and then either send them back or share them out fairly amongst the EU countries.

Absolutely agree, although I think it should be the UN that are stepping in and renegotiation the Refugee convention to ensure that all countries are doing their bit.

The data I gave was for hearing applications, every country has processes and systems to identify genuine refugees, i think these need to be put to better use so we don't have people living in limbo like those at Calais or even worse those poor suckers stuck in refugee camps across the globe.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have the perfect solution.

1.Build a load of sporting facilities in Calais.
2.get all the migrants, asylum seekers etc to run around a track, kick a football, hit a tennis ball etc
3.pick those that show some talent and allow them asylum status
4.the rest of them can go back to whichever horrible place they come from.

We have unearthed some gems like mo Farrah, so there must be some of thes Eritreans who can run for us.

Simples...

Mo's abode is in the U.S. He has moved himself and family to Oregon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe the Mods are answering the pedants and have become intolerant to any spelling mistiakes?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So we are sharing the refugee problem based on who is best able to support them?

View attachment 66313

Not very well.
I don't see what that chart has to do with anything. It shows that displaced people usually end up in a neighbouring country which shares similar culture, family ties and religion. All good. We should do all we can to support those countries however. Space is a massive factor, especially when considering a small country like ours.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't see what that chart has to do with anything. It shows that displaced people usually end up in a neighbouring country which shares similar culture, family ties and religion. All good. We should do all we can to support those countries however. Space is a massive factor, especially when considering a small country like ours.

Space may be a massive factor but it is not the only one,money is probably bigger though. It is 'all good' to expect some very poor countries to bear the brunt of the refugee problem while countries like the UK and Australia complain about those that end up on their shores and the relative few they end up taking.

I think if you look at the global figures there are a number of countries who could and should be doing more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe the Mods are answering the pedants and have become intolerant to any spelling mistiakes?

Or just plain bored with these tedious threads like the rest of us?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Space is a massive factor you are right but then so is money. It is 'all good' to expect some very poor countries to bear the brunt of the refugee problem while countries like the UK and Australia complain about those that end up on their shores and the relative few they end up taking.

I think if you look at the global figures there are a number of countries who could and should be doing more.
I agree. We should do all we can to support those countries most affected. Then perhaps it would remove some of the reasons for the problems at Calais.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here