Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so many women reporting on sport on the BBC?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A typical Goldstone fishing trip.

1) Post ill considered sub Daily Express nonsense. Make it as near the knuckle as possible without actually swearing or breaking board rules.
2) Light blue touch paper and retreat. Do not return to thread
3) Knock one out

At least it's been worth reading this thread for Edna's comments.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Suzy Perry, Clare balding, Hazel Irvine, Sue Barker, Gabby Logan.....all good sports presenters, all know what they are talking about. The BBC has a fair few females that are around the grounds reporting during Final Score.

Perry knows her motorsport, and Balding and Irvine are excellent presenters. Not having the simpering Barker or the dreadful Logan though. Both very poor presenters, in my (personal) opinion.

Not because they're ladies, of course. Just because they are poor.

No issue with the likes of Oatley commentating on MotD either. All the time they still allow Motson to continue, pretty much anybody else is preferable.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perry knows her motorsport, and Balding and Irvine are excellent presenters. Not having the simpering Barker or the dreadful Logan though. Both very poor presenters, in my (personal) opinion.

Not because they're ladies, of course. Just because they are poor.

No issue with the likes of Oatley commentating on MotD either. All the time they still allow Motson to continue, pretty much anybody else is preferable.

Logan, I can live with. Barker is cringeworthy though. Never get the impression she knows her stuff with the exception of tennis, and as you say, it's the simpering arse kissing towards whoever happens to be the guest (used to be Ally McCoist on QOS but also applies to John McEnroe etc).

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Every time I watch BBC news the sport is reported by a woman. Why? All the sport being reported is played 100% by men. What do these ladies know about football, rugger, F1?

The BBC really has gone too far ... again.
I'm with you. Ignore the PC brigade. I am partially deaf and the higher pitch of female voices is spoiling my enjoyment of the reporting of sport.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Case rests, m'lud.

images

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Women presenters? Fine.

Women Commentators? I'm yet to have been convinced. It's clearly not a sexist thing (he says). It's a voice pitch thing and it's 100% my preference. I'm so STUCK in a BLOKE talking over the footer that this simple little change really challenges me. Especially in the first ever match on MOTD by a female commnetator. I just remember her shout "YA-KOO-BOOOOO!!!!" as Yakubu scored. It was SO unnatural.

Again, it'll just be me being stuck in my audio ways. Actually thinking about it, it's only FOOTBALL that a female commentator annoys me on.

Perhaps I should see a shrink.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel the same way about female commentators as I do about female comedians. Yes, there are a few good ones out there but most are banal or even rubbish in my personal opinion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
John Motson is to football commentary, what Paul McCartney is to music.

In the 'untouchable' sense, yes.

I'd say he's worse, though. McCartney is DULL and irrelevant. Motson is often plain wrong.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Certainly helps to explain the up sales in microwaveable food these days!

Sorry ladies, just kidding.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd say he's worse. McCartney is DULL and irrlevant. Motson is often plain wrong.

The thing that grates for me with Motty is that little laugh thing he can't help doing at times, you know the "I fancy that <chuckle> Rooney won't be quite so keen on seeing that one again!". That, and the somewhat dated style he has, which always seems to me to be like something out of a Roy of the Rovers comic.

Bit of a living legend, I know, but I'm not keen.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In the 'untouchable' sense, yes.

I'd say he's worse, though. McCartney is DULL and irrelevant. Motson is often plain wrong.

They both used to be good at their profession (in McCartney's case I'm talking about his singing), now they are both awful and should retire.

WTF happens to Motson's voice when someone has a shot on goal? It's like someone is squeezing his testicles.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They both used to be good at their profession (in McCartney's case I'm talking about his singing), now they are both awful and should retire.

McCartney probably needs the money though, you know?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The thing that grates for me with Motty is that little laugh thing he can't help doing at times, you know the "I fancy that <chuckle> Rooney won't be quite so keen on seeing that one again!". That, and the somewhat dated style he has, which always seems to me to be like something out of a Roy of the Rovers comic.

Bit of a living legend, I know, but I'm not keen.

WTF happens to Motson's voice when someone has a shot on goal? It's like someone is squeezing his testicles.

All that, yes, and the fact he often calls it plain wrong "And it's a goal! It's in. No actually he's cleared it. Good chance, that"

And the fact he decides on his own pronunciation of players' names, and refuses to budge. Such as Olivier Giroud, which Motty insists ends 'RUDE', in contrast to the rest of the world, who use a silent D. Yesterday a case in point:

Motty: "Great penalty from GiRUDE"

Stadium announcer clearly audible in the background: "Arsenal's second, number 17, Olivier.."

60,000 Gooners: "GIROOOOOOOO"

Motty: "And that's GiRUDE's second of the game"....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it's just me, but Motson never seems to know what's actually happened until about 5 seconds later, i.e.
"Was it offside? The referee didn't give it."
"Was the whole of the ball over the line? He's given it!"
"And it's...oh...yes, I think...yes, there...it's Suarez who looked as if he might have got the final touch".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All that, yes, and the fact he often calls it plain wrong "And it's a goal! It's in. No actually he's cleared it. Good chance, that"

And the fact he decides on his own pronunciation of players' names, and refuses to budge. Such as Olivier Giroud, which Motty insists ends 'RUDE', in contrast to the rest of the world, who use a silent D. Yesterday a case in point:

Motty: "Great penalty from GiRUDE"

Stadium announcer clearly audible in the background: "Arsenal's second, number 17, Olivier.."

60,000 Gooners: "GIROOOOOOOO"

Motty: "And that's GiRUDE's second of the game"....

It was his insistence on overemphasising the second syllable of a particular Chelsea striker's surname that used to get on my nerves. "Drog-BAAAAA!" :angry:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yep Motson grates on me a bit now too I'm afraid, but guess that's why he drifts off to lesser games.

Female commentators are wrong for the same reason as why it is difficult to listen to children commentating, the pitch and tone are just annoying. I also find it difficult to stomach when I hear a girly scream at the football. It's a mans game and whilst I'm happy for women to participate in it they need to realise they need to act like men to do it.

If I turned up at a cookery class at the WI would try and fit in, I wouldn't start farting and swearing. It's the same thing. And yes there are men on hear who have swallowed all this modern bollocks but frankly it's nonsense. Yes it would be nice to treat women exactly the same as men, likewise it would be nice if women treated men the same. BUT we are not. We are fundamentally different and recognising this and accepting that different sexes have different qualities is the way forward.

One quality that no woman has yet to posess is the ability to commentate on football matches. And until one can get a deep enough voice to do so they never will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here