Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so many women reporting on sport on the BBC?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There are more men into watching professional sport than women - that is a fact. I don't think that it's a coincidence that many of the women who report on men's sport are in the eye-candy category.

Indeed, F1's Suzi Perry seems to know her stuff and to look at is not an out and out stunner but has something about her that makes you want to keep on watching. She never wears anything revealing or glamorous but in jeans and a blouse she always looks smart. Nice bird I'd say and someone I'd like to go on a dinner date with who is easy on the eye but also can talk sport too. Luvverly. I'd certainly choose her over DC or the leprechaun.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm all for having knowledgable female voices in sports reporting. What I think insults everyone's intelligence is they are there strictly for window dressing, that does no one any favours, male or female.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is a serious debate to be had here somewhere although I’m sure this thread is it. It’s not that there are too many women presenters, it’s simply that there are too many women presenters who are just dreadful. If I catch the sports report on breakfast news I switch off as whoever presents that gives an air that she knows as much about the subject matter as I do about quantum physics (and it’s an invariably an update about Badminton or some other sport no-one watches). Then there is the Northern one who talks about business but took about a 1 year before she read the autocue and not talk without 10 seconds between each word. Likewise, whoever presented TFLS on Sat was just as bad and don’t get me started on Jackie Oatley’s commentary which sounds like a kid who won a competition on Jim’l fix it (sorry NAN). Personally, I think the obsession within the BBC of getting regional accents on screen has lost the first rule of thumb which should be are they any good?

Before anyone says I’m some kind of Neanderthal misogynist whose favourite joke is ‘What do you tell a women with 2 black eyes? there is no issue on SSN where the coverage is slick and professional. Whilst one could argue beauty seems to be a pre requisite, I’d argue all day and night that they are better at their jobs than the BBC counterparts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As far as I'm concerned as long as Tim Lovejoy has a job anywhere on television, anything goes.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Suzy Perry, Clare balding, Hazel Irvine, Sue Barker, Gabby Logan.....all good sports presenters, all know what they are talking about. The BBC has a fair few females that are around the grounds reporting during Final Score.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
As much as footballers were once so much our idols, which silly people get the idea that all modern-day professionals act as anything other than out and out hammy fancydans? Football is not this macho battle that somehow with a touch of greater might and a pair of testicles makes it an all-man sport with no room for female opinion or observation or involvement.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is a serious debate to be had here somewhere although I’m sure this thread is it. It’s not that there are too many women presenters, it’s simply that there are too many women presenters who are just dreadful. If I catch the sports report on breakfast news I switch off as whoever presents that gives an air that she knows as much about the subject matter as I do about quantum physics (and it’s an invariably an update about Badminton or some other sport no-one watches). Then there is the Northern one who talks about business but took about a 1 year before she read the autocue and not talk without 10 seconds between each word. Likewise, whoever presented TFLS on Sat was just as bad and don’t get me started on Jackie Oatley’s commentary which sounds like a kid who won a competition on Jim’l fix it (sorry NAN). Personally, I think the obsession within the BBC of getting regional accents on screen has lost the first rule of thumb which should be are they any good?

Before anyone says I’m some kind of Neanderthal misogynist whose favourite joke is ‘What do you tell a women with 2 black eyes? there is no issue on SSN where the coverage is slick and professional. Whilst one could argue beauty seems to be a pre requisite, I’d argue all day and night that they are better at their jobs than the BBC counterparts.

Male or female, from Windsor or Newcastle, the test needs to be "are they any good?"

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Males have Townsend and Chiles to represent them in football punditry.....hardly a selling point.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
i must admit - when i saw the presenter for the FLS, i thought...

"whaaaa? she is not in football circles, never played, never been up and down the country watching games, never had bundles at school playing wembley etc"

she's a plant - all part of the plan to gay everything up....i mean a girl in a frilly dress presenting football? it's just weird.....sorry.

I'm not sexist, but I'm not some communist either where everyone and everything is the same or the thought police are out in force.

But TV is weird, look at the ammount of sex cases who worked for TV. And millions watch X-factor, where Louis walsh presents a singing competition for boys....i mean would you trust him with your sons?

Perhaps you'd like to read this before dismissing FLS presenters.

http://www.streetgames.org/www/content/my-sporting-life-jacqui-oatley

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I do agree really, and before the pc brigade jump on us, consider this, what would happen if five men started presenting Loose Women. Perhaps some sensible conversation for once?

Sensible conversation?! They'd all bale after doing one show - as the ones you weren't gay would all be shitting themselves about how the rest of 'the brotherhood' would perceive them afterwards (if not before).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So this is what the internet would have looked like in 1974.

Afraid not. The only dissent to the misogyny shown by some posters on this thread and others would have been women in 1974. And not all women at that time either. At least some (many, or even most, hopefully) men now take issue with it too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bloody hell, I was just about to get into this thread but bloody Rumbelows have called, the Mrs is trying to rent a tumble dryer and they need my signature. She's always doing this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here