Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so many women reporting on sport on the BBC?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can only guess that after women playing sports for hundreds of years the BBC realised they may have something to say about it as well.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There are more men into watching professional sport than women - that is a fact. I don't think that it's a coincidence that many of the women who report on men's sport are in the eye-candy category.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I need to report a glitch on NSC to Bozza. It seems to be bringing up threads by Goldstone from about 40 years ago, really strange.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is all very well, but with all these birds on the telly, somewhere there is a bloke making his own tea.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i must admit - when i saw the presenter for the FLS, i thought...

"whaaaa? she is not in football circles, never played, never been up and down the country watching games, never had bundles at school playing wembley etc"

she's a plant - all part of the plan to gay everything up....i mean a girl in a frilly dress presenting football? it's just weird.....sorry.

I'm not sexist, but I'm not some communist either where everyone and everything is the same or the thought police are out in force.

But TV is weird, look at the ammount of sex cases who worked for TV. And millions watch X-factor, where Louis walsh presents a singing competition for boys....i mean would you trust him with your sons?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

"whaaaa? she is not in football circles, never played, never been up and down the country watching games, never had bundles at school playing wembley etc"

she's a plant - all part of the plan to gay everything up....i mean a girl in a frilly dress presenting football? it's just weird.....sorry.

I'm not sexist, but I'm not some communist either where everyone and everything is the same or the thought police are ou in force.

But TV is weird, look at the ammount of sex cases who worked for TV. And millions watch X-factor, where Louis walsh presents a singing competition for boys....i mean would you trust him with your sons?

That's a wind up yeah?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
That's a wind up yeah?

seriously, would you?

hand on heart you would say none of the people in this picture like willys near their bums?

medium_59CNmGlW8z8eY_i2BdM-C0VWmYwjKSHV3ZijYGZS4Eo.jpg

article-2458172-18B9251A00000578-765_634x482.jpg

I would go for (in a speculative opinion) that all are gay - but hey, no problem with that....

....but the boys are young, impressionable, on the edge of 'staredom' (heheh), with a massive desire to "do anything for their dream" - and with a "very camp" mentor.....hmmmm.....and TV presenters with a history of boy abuse.....and you are completely ok with your sons hanging out with him?

Are 12million people in England really that asleep, or is it just you nibble?

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I played football for a team every weekend for years. I played football games in the playground at school. I travel up & down the country watching the Albion.

Does not having a penis render my contribution to this debate irrelevant?

I'm pretty sure Manish Bhasin, Dan Walker, Mark Chapman, Jeff Stelling, Des Lynam, Clive Tyldesley, John Motson, Jake Humphries, Jonathan Pearce et al have never played professional football either but you don't seem to be questioning their ability (well, not on the basis of them having a Y chromosome at any rate).

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I played football for a team every weekend for years. I played football games in the playground at school. I travel up & down the country watching the Albion.

Does not having a penis render my contribution to this debate irrelevant?

Yes Love , now get your knickers on and make me a cup of tea.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What has Louis and the boys got to do with the over representation of women reporting men's sport on the BBC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sometimes when I watch BBC news, the fighting in various civil wars, uprisings and conflicts is reported by a woman. Why? All the fighting is done 100% by men. What do these ladies know about murdering, maiming, bombing?
But they could lighten up a bit.
It's tough to knock one out when they are just droning on about murdering, maiming & bombing.

Crack a smile love, and show us your bangers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
seriously, would you?

hand on heart you would say none of the people in this picture like willys near their bums?

View attachment 49018

View attachment 49019

I would go for (in a speculative opinion) that all are gay - but hey, no problem with that....

....but the boys are young, impressionable, on the edge of 'staredom' (heheh), with a massive desire to "do anything for their dream" - and with a "very camp" mentor.....hmmmm.....and TV presenters with a history of boy abuse.....and you are completely ok with your sons hanging out with him?

Are 12million people in England really that asleep, or is it just you nibble?

Riiight.

Anyway back to topic, I would imagine the women that present or act as pundits on Sports programmes have an interest in sport as it's quite a lot of effort to go to for summat they have no interest in. And I've no doubt they are picked in part for their attractiveness, that's unfortunately the way the TV world still works. Doesn't explain Claire Balding though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't mind woman presenters for sport if they have got the job because they are the best option for it. However you do get the impression with the BBC at the moment that they are being given roles partly on the basis of their sex ahead of males who maybe more knowledgable about the sport.

Note I do not include Clare Balding in this who knows her stuff. Or any of the Sky Sports News lovelies who are clearly not recruited for their knowledge, which made their hypocritical sacking of Keys and Gray even more laughable.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I'm not sexist, but I'm not some communist either where everyone and everything is the same or the thought police are out in force.

I do agree really, and before the pc brigade jump on us, consider this, what would happen if five men started presenting Loose Women. Perhaps some sensible conversation for once?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The only "plan" a TV company would have to employ women as sports presenters would be to increase viewing figures. More women enjoy sports these days therefore it makes perfect sense there would be more women presenters. Nowt sinister in that and certainly not a plan to "gay" things up. Hybrid X's theory of "gaying things up" makes no sense. Why would you employ attractive women if you were trying to gay things up?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only "plan" a TV company would have to employ women as sports presenters would be to increase viewing figures. More women enjoy sports these days therefore it makes perfect sense there would be more women presenters. Nowt sinister in that and certainly not a plan to "gay" things up. Hybrid X's theory of "gaying things up" makes no sense. Why would you employ attractive women if you were trying to gay things up?

As a woman, I prefer to watch someone like Jeff Stelling than a dolly bird.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here