Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's the best player we've had on loan and never signed?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We'd heard he was too small so told him not to bother coming over (according to Keane in his book).

Which was quite interesting as he was definitely scheduled to come over but failed to materialise. At the time I was told he was worried about home sickness (he was scheduled to lodge with my family). Either way we missed out big time.
We had Ian Wright on trial and he was probably the biggest miss of all time but as far as loan players are concerned, Keown was one of the best English central defenders of the modern era.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd forgotten that one, good shout.

We had him when he was a kid, was he at Arsenal at the time? He was very highly rated I seem to remember.

Yes, arrived with someone else at the same time (Flatts, maybe?). I remember thinking he looked a class apart back then.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You lot have short memories. It has to be the one, the only, the Belarusian midfield maestro, the euro finalist and Goldstone legend.....Sergei Gotsmanov.
Very much this - oozed class

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Definitely Bridge. We've missed him this season. I believe he's been the difference.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sidwell
Bridge
McShane

Funny to keep seeing McShame there, I know he did alot for you against Palarse but during his time at Sunderland he must have been one of the worst players I have ever seen play week in week out! Watching Bridge week in week out was quality he was a cut above the rest in the Championship

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
SERIOUSLY:

Martin Keown
Brian Dear

excluding players that played for the Albion permanently.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Martin Keown, was absolute mustard at the time, we also turned down Gary Pallister as Keane, Wright from trials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here