Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's the best player we've had on loan and never signed?

Martin Keown. Even as a lad I could tell he oozed class but we didn't have the £50-100k they wanted for him at the time.

Add it to the long list of mistakes made by the club owners I the late 80's, early 90's.

This - wasn't he loan for two seasons, it seemed like?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He wasn't a loanee - he was a free agent when he played for us

Have to agree with Keown although Brian Dear had a pretty awesome period with us; scored goals for fun. Steve Cotterill and Paul Moulden didn't do too badly either

Pretty sure he wasn't a free agent as Southampton paid a fee.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pretty sure he wasn't a free agent as Southampton paid a fee.

Hmm... just checked on Wikipedia and this tells me that Sergei wasn't on loan but played for us as a non-contract player, however, it also says that Saints paid a fee for him. It doesn't say to whom though.

My memory is that he wasn't a loan player but it was more than 20 years ago

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I'd forgotten that one, good shout.

We had him when he was a kid, was he at Arsenal at the time? He was very highly rated I seem to remember.

Yeah Arsenal, tenacious player with a touch of class. Didn't we look into buying him but same old story no readies at the time?

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Can't believe no one has mentioned Lloyd Owusu.

Or was he a free agent?

According to the (admittedly sometime incorrect) Wikipedia, he was on loan from Cheltenham.

I seem to recall him being offered a deal (after him and Harty formed a great partnership) but he fancied going to Australia.

Last edited:

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Sidewall, Keown, Dickov, Bridge... How about a best ever team of loan players? I think Danny Wilson may have been on loan before we signed him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here