Who's the best player we've had on loan and never signed?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Dickov. Matt leTissier was in the Brighton side who played against Liverpool in Jimmy case's testimonial in 1994 and was a player who I wished had played in the blue and white stripes on a contract.

Oct 25, 2003
McShane brings with him a reasonable amount of nostalgia, mainly for his goal against Palace. He was also an average championship player in what was a very much below average championship team massively punching above his weight, so he stood out like a sore thumb (the old Jeff Minton scenario). I'm not convinced he was ACTUALLY that great and wouldn't get in our team now, whereas Bridge and Sidwell would be stand out performers for us

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed re McShane. Stood out as he was an average defender at a time when our defence was going through an awful run. History has judged him to be a player nowhere near good enough to get regular top flight football, and one who is extremely error prone in the Championship.

He's looked upon more fondly than he should be purely on the basis of a winning goal (that he didn't actually score) at Selhurst Park.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would say Keown edges it over Bridge based on what they had achieved during their careers. Keown 3 titles, 3 FA cups and a Uefa cup and 43 caps. Bridge has one title with Chelsea, one FA cup and 36 caps. Sidwell was good but only played for us in the 3rd tier and never really set the world alight like we thougth he might. As for some of the others mentioned, eg Dickov, seems people are just trying to recall anyone on loan! Don't know Brian Dear as before my time.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don't think there's any doubt that out of the loan forwards, Brain Dear had the potential to be one of our greatest. He was a bit like Tony Cottee in build ( perhaps a bit more chunky) but his record for West Ham was 39 goals in 82 games. Problem was this was over 8 years, so even with that type of record he was overall a bit second or third choice there.
I don't know if he was available for transfer or that we could have afforded him, but a player like that at our level, and keeping him off the drink, would have been immense. Like Greaves and Moore, he liked a drink, which was his and their downfall at the Hammers.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He wasn't a loanee - he was a free agent when he played for us

Have to agree with Keown although Brian Dear had a pretty awesome period with us; scored goals for fun. Steve Cotterill and Paul Moulden didn't do too badly either

Brian Dear Too Dear:) I remember it well.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I would say Keown edges it over Bridge based on what they had achieved during their careers. Keown 3 titles, 3 FA cups and a Uefa cup and 43 caps. Bridge has one title with Chelsea, one FA cup and 36 caps. Sidwell was good but only played for us in the 3rd tier and never really set the world alight like we thougth he might. As for some of the others mentioned, eg Dickov, seems people are just trying to recall anyone on loan! Don't know Brian Dear as before my time.

Did you ever see Paul Dickov in action for us ? He was a one man team and received a standing ovation on his last game for us.

Keown, Dickov and Bridge stand out for me as I saw all 3 in action.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Best player? My instinct was Keown but on reflection I think Bridge was the classier player. He also helped us to 4th whereas, although Keown went on to a stellar career, he was not a stand-out player in what was a mid-table second tier Albion side at a time when the standard of overall football was at a low ebb (mid-80s).

In terms of impact, Ward of course scored the winner against ManU at the Goldstone and at Newcastle in the FACup, but overall it's hard to look beyond Paul Dickov who was sensational for Liam Brady mid-90s and turned around a poor season for the Albion.

PG

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
sidwell played for us in the 2nd tier

Apologies. Could've have sworn he played for us in the run in for promotion but of course he scored those goals against Burnley!!

Did you ever see Paul Dickov in action for us ? He was a one man team and received a standing ovation on his last game for us.

Keown, Dickov and Bridge stand out for me as I saw all 3 in action.

Yes I did. It's still my opinion that in terms of the quality of player, Keown was the best and would have been a great signing, had we the £45k (which I think was what they were after). Bridge comes a very close second. Dickov also played for us in the third tier where as Keown played in the 2nd. Still, it's about opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports