Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who would have been the perfect leader to take us through this pandemic

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At the time I thought she was evil heartless @#%& without an ounce of compassion, as with many things as one ages our views opinions and tastes evolve I am now in my sixties and with the benefit of hindsight over the intervening years One can reflect as such I now think she was the most evil heartless #**%@ with out an once of compassion who did no lasting good, with no industrial base no British owned motorcar industry same for steel all the oil was sold off and not reinvested (see Norway for how it should have been done) no renewal of the council housing stock which was sold off, the destruction of trades unions the selling off of our assets rail, BT, Gas, Electricity parts of the Post Office, parts of the NHS (see Capita) the throwing of a generation onto the scrap heap with no jobs no hope while allowing free reign to assist stripping money people no one has ever heard of making millions on the backs of the masses, I cannot genuinely think of one thing she got right evil pure evil

Major sold off BT, gas and electricity etc. I still have the carriage clock from the electricity board I was working for.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Whoever it was is always going to get criticised, but as the vaccination programme is still part of the overall pandemic in my opinion, I think Boris has done just as well as anyone else was lively too.

He’s a morally bankrupt, elitist, misogynistic, racist, odious, serial lying man-child philanderer, but apart from that, yes it’s all pretty darn swell having ‘Boris’ as people strangely persist in calling him, at the helm. Did you refer to Cameron as simply ‘David’ or May as simply ‘Theresa’ in the same manner?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The chuckle brothers. Even just the dead one.

More seriously if Corbyn had been in charge the probability is we'd have had:

A people's bank to support small businesses (in the manifesto)
We'd all have free internet. Which we now know is a necessity.
The NHS would have more money and wouldn't have suffered even more privatisation.
He would have actually followed the science and we'd have far less deaths. Or if you prefer need have followed the unions quicker than BJ did and we'd have far fewer deaths.
We'd probably have introduced a universal basic income, removing the penury many suffer under universal credit as well as targeting relief more effectively and for less cost than the furlough scheme.
We'd have recognised public transport is a public service and at the very least have fully renationalised rail, which would at least legally have been possible at less cost than the sums we're paying private foreign companies to run the service.
On the other hand we would have criticized Israel and maybe got billionaires to pay tax so a narrow escape eh?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Major sold off BT, gas and electricity etc. I still have the carriage clock from the electricity board I was working for.

BT shares went on sale in November 1984. British Gas was privatised and the shares sold in December 1986.

Margaret Thatcher was PM from 1979 to 1990, She left office on 28th. November 1990, and the electricity industry went private in December, so it's reasonable to assume that can be attributed to her also.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
At the time I thought she was evil heartless @#%& without an ounce of compassion, as with many things as one ages our views opinions and tastes evolve I am now in my sixties and with the benefit of hindsight over the intervening years One can reflect as such I now think she was the most evil heartless #**%@ with out an once of compassion who did no lasting good, with no industrial base no British owned motorcar industry same for steel all the oil was sold off and not reinvested (see Norway for how it should have been done) no renewal of the council housing stock which was sold off, the destruction of trades unions the selling off of our assets rail, BT, Gas, Electricity parts of the Post Office, parts of the NHS (see Capita) the throwing of a generation onto the scrap heap with no jobs no hope while allowing free reign to assist stripping money people no one has ever heard of making millions on the backs of the masses, I cannot genuinely think of one thing she got right evil pure evil

Trade unions are alive and serving members, just not trying to run the country by proxy. She didn’t sell off the Post Office, the Post Office is still in full government ownership, Royal Mail has been sold but 23 years after Thatcher last served as PM. Perhaps Girobank, which was a PO sub, which was sold off. You clearly like government ownership of many parts of the U.K. economy

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Like her or loathe her, Margaret Thatcher never avoided tough decisions…

Loathed her……. But you’re right.

John Major would have been sensible, and Gordon Brown would have done what is necessary with good judgement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’s a morally bankrupt, elitist, misogynistic, racist, odious, serial lying man-child philanderer, but apart from that, yes it’s all pretty darn swell having ‘Boris’ as people strangely persist in calling him, at the helm. Did you refer to Cameron as simply ‘David’ or May as simply ‘Theresa’ in the same manner?

Why strange? It's not without precedent. Thatcher was widely known as 'Maggie', and Churchill was often spoken of as 'Winnie'. And come to think of it, no, we didn't refer to Cameron as David, but 'Call me Dave' was in common usage.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Which has subsequently been well and truly superceded by our £37 billion Track and Trace failure.

And of course the interest we as a nation have gathered in on the proceeds of the gold sale, (can’t lend gold but you can certainly make cash work for you)

Jimmy Grimble

And I say England’s greatest prime minister was Lord Palmerston.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kirsty Williams.

Common sense, hard working and not corrupt.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The NHS would have more money and wouldn't have suffered even more privatisation.
He would have actually followed the science and we'd have far less deaths. Or if you prefer need have followed the unions quicker than BJ did and we'd have far fewer deaths.
We'd probably have introduced a universal basic income, removing the penury many suffer under universal credit as well as targeting relief more effectively and for less cost than the furlough scheme.
We'd have recognised public transport is a public service and at the very least have fully renationalised rail, which would at least legally have been possible at less cost than the sums we're paying private foreign companies to run the service.
On the other hand we would have criticized Israel and maybe got billionaires to pay tax so a narrow escape eh?
But, he wore the wrong coat to an Armistice Day commemoration...?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why strange? It's not without precedent. Thatcher was widely known as 'Maggie', and Churchill was often spoken of as 'Winnie'. And come to think of it, no, we didn't refer to Cameron as David, but 'Call me Dave' was in common usage.

His family call him Alec. Boris is his third name but he chose it deliberately for politics as it’s more user friendly than Alexander.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
His family call him Alec. Boris is his third name but he chose it deliberately for politics as it’s more user friendly than Alexander.

Johnson is my preferred name for him, because somehow it says something quite accurate about him. But, if we have to select one of his other names, it's got to be De Pfeffel, just to confirm that he's a man of the people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats an awful lot to do in two years. i'd have thought the argument would be Corbyn's strong leadership, but alas not made.

so, where had Corbyn been all this time, has he been using his leadship and appeal to the masses to communicate a better repsonse from government or for individuals to follow? Blair and Brown have chipped in with their views a couple of times.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here