Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Right, so i think i have got it now. We have been given 6 dates on a thursday one in sept(21) two in oct(5 and 26) two in nov(9 and 30) and one in dec(14)
On those dates we will either be playing at home in the Europa League or away - not sure which at the moment or indeed whether home or away first.
The teams in our group will be decided by a draw from 4 pots although it is not certain yet which pot we will be in or indeed the teams in the same pot as us or even most of the teams in the other pots as some qualifying games are still taking place and some teams have still to drop down from champions league qualifying. The groups will consist of one team from each pot so if for instance we are in pot 2 we will play one team each from pot 1, pot 3, and pot 4 unless, which is apparently more likely, we are in pot 3 in which case we will have to play one from pot 1,one from pot 2, and one from pot 4. At this point i think it is fair to point out a certainty in that we cannot play a team from our own country in the group stage. Please keep up at the back!
Apparently maybe a few days after the draw is made we will get our group running order and some time after that we may well find out which of our esteemed members are serious about the away games which is probably very dependent on which country our undetermined opponents hail from and on which date we are playing them and do not forget we will be on a reduced allocation compared to the premier league and some of the undetermined opponents stadia are quite small.
After our 6 group games our final position in the group will determine what happens next. If we come fourth (surely not) that is it, finito. Third and we drop down to the conference. Second we play off against a team coming down from champions league(third in cl group). First and we automatically enter the knockout rounds.
Hope this clears some things up and needless to say there was not much of interest to me on the tv tonight!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Right, so i think i have got it now. We have been given 6 dates on a thursday one in sept(21) two in oct(5 and 26) two in nov(9 and 30) and one in dec(14)
On those dates we will either be playing at home in the Europa League or away - not sure which at the moment or indeed whether home or away first.
The teams in our group will be decided by a draw from 4 pots although it is not certain yet which pot we will be in or indeed the teams in the same pot as us or even most of the teams in the other pots as some qualifying games are still taking place and some teams have still to drop down from champions league qualifying. The groups will consist of one team from each pot so if for instance we are in pot 2 we will play one team each from pot 1, pot 3, and pot 4 unless, which is apparently more likely, we are in pot 3 in which case we will have to play one from pot 1,one from pot 2, and one from pot 4. At this point i think it is fair to point out a certainty in that we cannot play a team from our own country in the group stage. Please keep up at the back!
Apparently maybe a few days after the draw is made we will get our group running order and some time after that we may well find out which of our esteemed members are serious about the away games which is probably very dependent on which country our undetermined opponents hail from and on which date we are playing them and do not forget we will be on a reduced allocation compared to the premier league and some of the undetermined opponents stadia are quite small.
After our 6 group games our final position in the group will determine what happens next. If we come fourth (surely not) that is it, finito. Third and we drop down to the conference. Second we play off against a team coming down from champions league(third in cl group). First and we automatically enter the knockout rounds.
Hope this clears some things up and needless to say there was not much of interest to me on the tv tonight!
Almost perfect, apart from the fact that I believe we will know our 'running order' of matches fairly soon after the draw is made (within hours) - although they are subject to negotiation between the clubs and police input etc. For this reason, those of us who are responsible for organising travel within our groups will have a very busy night on Aug 31st (after all the qualifiers are confirmed) working out the various options for getting to/from our 22 (I think I make it) potential opponents, ready to try and beat the rush to the cheapest flights etc once the matches are 100% confirmed.....

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
For some reason I thought the winners of tonight's round of gane went through to the group stages but I see they go through to the play offs.

I wonder if these teams have a bit of an advantage over those who go straight through, their squads will potentially be better prepared than us.

Really excited about the upcoming draw, there are some massive clubs in the mix.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There are 3 teams I really want to avoid in our group based on these pots:
Marseille - because of the expected violence from their fans
Qarabag - that would be a trek and a half
TSC - their ground only holds about 4500 so very small allocation for us !
Understand UEFA regulations mean TSC would have to play elsewhere

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
This shows the best and worst case scenarios re the rankings and where the teams would sit in the various pots.
Europa Lge Scenarios.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here