[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Seriously, we are not 5 years old!
My original post was a tongue in cheek attempt at both humour and to show how little we know about who we will actually play in what is a complicated process!
I accept that it did not come across when being read as i thought it would when writing it for which i apologise. In hindsight i should have used emojis instead of the "keep up at the back" quip to convey my comic intent.

Right, so i think i have got it now. We have been given 6 dates on a thursday one in sept(21) two in oct(5 and 26) two in nov(9 and 30) and one in dec(14)
On those dates we will either be playing at home in the Europa League or away - not sure which at the moment or indeed whether home or away first.
The teams in our group will be decided by a draw from 4 pots although it is not certain yet which pot we will be in or indeed the teams in the same pot as us or even most of the teams in the other pots as some qualifying games are still taking place and some teams have still to drop down from champions league qualifying. The groups will consist of one team from each pot so if for instance we are in pot 2 we will play one team each from pot 1, pot 3, and pot 4 unless, which is apparently more likely, we are in pot 3 in which case we will have to play one from pot 1,one from pot 2, and one from pot 4. At this point i think it is fair to point out a certainty in that we cannot play a team from our own country in the group stage. Please keep up at the back!
Apparently maybe a few days after the draw is made we will get our group running order and some time after that we may well find out which of our esteemed members are serious about the away games which is probably very dependent on which country our undetermined opponents hail from and on which date we are playing them and do not forget we will be on a reduced allocation compared to the premier league and some of the undetermined opponents stadia are quite small.
After our 6 group games our final position in the group will determine what happens next. If we come fourth (surely not) that is it, finito. Third and we drop down to the conference. Second we play off against a team coming down from champions league(third in cl group). First and we automatically enter the knockout rounds.
Hope this clears some things up and needless to say there was not much of interest to me on the tv tonight!
I've reread your post (twice) and still believe it's a serious synopsis of a complicated qualifying process, and not as you claim.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I hope we don't.

Firstly, we'll get about 500 tickets. Secondly, we'll reciprocate by giving them a similar number, yet Brighton will be overrun with pissed up twats from Scotland and Northern Ireland all pissing in the street and singing shite sectarian songs in the train queue.

Why only 500? Liverpool got nearly 3k there last season

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Fair enough, I was basing it on what PSV seemed to get last night. That small cheese wedge in the corner looks tiny.

Probably more to do with PSV not taking up their full allocation as the fixture would have only been confirmed the week beforehand.

Still agree with your point about not wanting to draw them, we'd almost certainly only give them a 5% away allocation in reciprocation but they'd bring down loads. Probably end up with a load of them in the home end too

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Still agree with your point about not wanting to draw them, we'd almost certainly only give them a 5% away allocation in reciprocation but they'd bring down loads. Probably end up with a load of them in the home end too
As the remaining tickets will almost certainly only be available to STH and existing Albion+ members only this is highly unlikely

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It would be carnage if we get rangers
I think they are the lesser of the two evils in that city as far as sectarian vitriol rolled out would be concerned anyway.

We will see far more aggro from some of the European teams with reputations, they will make the Palace ultras look like a kindergarten party.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think they are the lesser of the two evils in that city as far as sectarian vitriol rolled out would be concerned anyway.

We will see far more aggro from some of the European teams with reputations, they will make the Palace ultras look like a kindergarten party.
I doubt they would be the lesser of the two evils in all honesty, and I don't want to find out. I hope we don't draw either of them (assuming Celtic finish 3rd in their group and not 4th).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I doubt they would be the lesser of the two evils in all honesty.
Well we wont get the anti catholic songs will we for a start, and I know a few friends who support Rangers and they speak fondly of us, because of Connor Goldson and now Sima, also the fact we were called Brighton & Hove Rangers at one point in our previous incarnation and a Scotsman on the board at the time, which was then changed to Albion (also a strong Scottish connection) as we know, and that same Scotsman was still on the board of the new evolution of the club at the time if I remember correctly and could have been influential adding Albion once Rangers was dropped.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree, I think it would be cracking, just what we want an atmosphere to remember on our first campaign. We can't go cherry picking lesser teams and teams we think won't out sing us or be boisterous. I think you will find most European games last year had outbreaks of fighting and away fans taking over the oppositions city for 24 hours, especially in the later stages.

There are going to be some right meltdowns on here I fear, be careful what you wish for eh.

Well we wont get the anti catholic songs will we for a start, and I know a few friends who support Rangers and they speak fondly of us, because of Connor Goldson and now Sima, also the fact we were called Brighton & Hove Rangers at one point in our previous incarnation and a Scotsman on the board at the time, which was then changed to Albion (also a strong Scottish connection) as we know, and that same Scotsman was still on the board of the new evolution of the club at the time if I remember correctly and could have been influential adding Albion once Rangers was dropped.
Not quite the longest ever sentence on NSC, but a good effort all the same.
How bizarre that anybody could think that the changing of our name from Rangers in favour of West Brom could endear us to 'Gers!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
As the remaining tickets will almost certainly only be available to STH and existing Albion+ members only this is highly unlikely

I’m sure tickets will be available to A+ members and STH guests, same as when most of the bigger sides come to the Amex, and we get quite a lot of away fans in the home end.

Not sure why it would would be any different if Rangers came down?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It’s been said elsewhere but there will be plenty of clubs in the Europa League with fans who will see a trip to ‘little old Brighton’ as an excuse for a bit of a bender and it will attract a lot of the idiots. Some clubs we could meet have more than their fair share of such idiots too. It’s best to be aware, but I am not planning to let it ruin my enjoyment and trust that it will be well policed if necessary (hopefully not).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

Anyway, we can agree to disagree, I think it would be cracking, just what we want an atmosphere to remember on our first campaign. We can't go cherry picking lesser teams and teams we think won't out sing us or be boisterous. I think you will find most European games last year had outbreaks of fighting and away fans taking over the oppositions city for 24 hours, especially in the later stages.

There are going to be some right meltdowns on here I fear, be careful what you wish for eh.

Be very careful what you wish for. I grew up in London and lived there until 1978. In about 1970, Rangers came down for a preseason friendly against QPR or Fulham. Lived in Hammersmith at the time. It was a total nightmare and literally put me off football until the 90s, when my in-laws, who lived between Eastbourne and Pevensey, introduced me to Brighton. Their fans were dreadful, and from what my niece tells me (she lives in Glasgow) not much has changed. Brighton will be full of drunken Scots for about 4 days, believe me.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I doubt they would be the lesser of the two evils in all honesty, and I don't want to find out. I hope we don't draw either of them (assuming Celtic finish 3rd in their group and not 4th).
Celtic have very decent support as do the Blue noses and should behave themselves. It's been the European ultras that tend to cause the issues abroad. That said, Brighton would be a popular choice and seen as somewhere that the hordes must visit. Large numbers and large amounts of drinking would inevitably lead to issues. Let's hope not.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There is a fair amount of drunken and high Scots down here already, and every weekend we are inundated with drunken plastic cockneys.
Most of the Scots I see in Brighton seem to congregate outside of the station, and yes many are intoxicated and/or unhoused people. This is a genuine observation. I have no idea why it is.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Most of the Scots I see in Brighton seem to congregate outside of the station, and yes many are intoxicated and/or unhoused people. This is a genuine observation. I have no idea why it is.
it is warmer than Scotland and many other parts of Britain, plus we have a fairly liberal approach to things here, better and safer than London or other smaller towns on the coast. simple really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports