[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Right, so i think i have got it now. We have been given 6 dates on a thursday one in sept(21) two in oct(5 and 26) two in nov(9 and 30) and one in dec(14)
On those dates we will either be playing at home in the Europa League or away - not sure which at the moment or indeed whether home or away first.
The teams in our group will be decided by a draw from 4 pots although it is not certain yet which pot we will be in or indeed the teams in the same pot as us or even most of the teams in the other pots as some qualifying games are still taking place and some teams have still to drop down from champions league qualifying. The groups will consist of one team from each pot so if for instance we are in pot 2 we will play one team each from pot 1, pot 3, and pot 4 unless, which is apparently more likely, we are in pot 3 in which case we will have to play one from pot 1,one from pot 2, and one from pot 4. At this point i think it is fair to point out a certainty in that we cannot play a team from our own country in the group stage. Please keep up at the back!
Apparently maybe a few days after the draw is made we will get our group running order and some time after that we may well find out which of our esteemed members are serious about the away games which is probably very dependent on which country our undetermined opponents hail from and on which date we are playing them and do not forget we will be on a reduced allocation compared to the premier league and some of the undetermined opponents stadia are quite small.
After our 6 group games our final position in the group will determine what happens next. If we come fourth (surely not) that is it, finito. Third and we drop down to the conference. Second we play off against a team coming down from champions league(third in cl group). First and we automatically enter the knockout rounds.
Hope this clears some things up and needless to say there was not much of interest to me on the tv tonight!
So what happens if we finish second in the group and lose the playoff?
Fourth is out, third drops to the conference league, winner through.
So finishing third is better than finishing second?

Confused from Stole Poges

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Understand UEFA regulations mean TSC would have to play elsewhere
Exactly, and with very few fans….so if they end up playing in a 20,000 seater stadium they’d be 12000 empty seats.

I thought I saw on Futbology they have an 8k seater new stadium but may have been looking on the wrong team.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Do you know where they play instead ?
The closest ground is FK Spartak Subotica which holds 13,000 but that doesn't look like it has enough seats (8,000 min) required for the group stage. Closest viable options would appear to be in Belgrade which is about 150km from Bačka Topola where TSC are based. The options there would be Partizan Belgrade statdium which holds 27,000 or Red Stars stadium which holds 52,000 but that would probably be overkill.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well, third gets a knockout game in the Conference, second gets a knockout game in the Europa, first gets a bye to the next knockout round in the Europa. So finishing third would result in an easier game, but in a lesser competition.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Well, third gets a knockout game in the Conference, second gets a knockout game in the Europa, first gets a bye to the next knockout round in the Europa. So finishing third would result in an easier game, but in a lesser competition.
Perfectly and succinctly put KG, thanks for that.
I would, of course, have replied something similar even though my original post was done with a good deal of tongue in cheek to really demonstrate how complicated the whole process is AND how little we still know about who we will actually be playing! :)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Perfectly and succinctly put KG, thanks for that.
I would, of course, have replied something similar even though my original post was done with a good deal of tongue in cheek to really demonstrate how complicated the whole process is AND how little we still know about who we will actually be playing! :)
Sheesh 🤣🤣

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Disappointingly (for our Greek based contingent) AEK Athens have qualified for the Champions League, which means Dinamo Zagreb drop to the Europa League.

This game was delayed after the murder of an AEK fan by Dinamo hooligans around 2 weeks ago.

Having said it’s disappointing from a Greek dwelling Albion perspective, it’s a great moment for AEK to prevail under these horrific circumstances - they were 3-2 down on aggregate in the 90th minute but went on to win 4-3 with an equaliser in the 92nd minute a winner in the 98th minute, deep in added time. Quite a performance in honour of Mixalis.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Four more teams have qualified for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League group stage:
  • Marseille (France)
  • Sturm Graz (Austria)
  • TSC (Serbia)
  • Servette (Switzerland)
This was because they lost their Champions League third qualifying round matches in the League Path...
Screenshot 2023-08-19 22.09.39.png

Undeniably, the best match of the four was Panathinaikos' shock win against Marseille who...
scored a 100th minute penalty away at Marseille to send the game to extra time
...and would proceed to win the game 5-3 on penalties, after a 2-2 draw on aggregate.

Also, there were some other results today in the Champions Path...
Screenshot 2023-08-19 22.15.43.png

KI Klaksvik's incredible run in the Champions League may have ended against Molde, but they still created history as the first club from the Faroe Islands to qualify for the group stage of a European competition :clap2:

And after the horrific events last week - read more on post #51, AEK Athens were victorious in their postponed match against Dinamo Zagreb winning 4-3 on aggregate.

[The list of qualified teams in the 2023-24 Europa League, so far, has been updated on post #1]

Last edited:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Brighton will not play a team from Belarus, Finland, Iceland, Kazakhstan and Lithuania in this season's Europa League.

This is after the completion of the Europa League third qualifying round...
Screenshot 2023-08-19 23.13.13.png

...whereby BATE Borisov (Belarus), HJK (Finland), Breidablik (Iceland), Astana (Kazakhstan) and Zalgiris (Lithuania) lost their matches in the Champions Path.

Also eliminated are Genk (Belgium) and Dnipro-1 (Ukraine) in the Main Path.

The winners of this round will proceed to the Europa League play-offs, which they must win to advance to the group stages.

Last edited:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Sixteen teams have qualified for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League, but which other sixteen teams will also reach the group stage?

Well, it all comes down to the play-offs in the Champions League and Europa League qualifying phases...

2023-24 UEFA Champions League play-off round
Screenshot 2023-08-19 23.25.00.png

The six losers of this round will be in the Europa League group stage.
So this means that the likes of Galatasaray & Rangers may join Brighton in the draw.

Teams on the left play the first leg at home (22nd/23rd August), then the second away (29th/30th August).

2023-24 UEFA Europa League play-off round
Screenshot 2023-08-19 23.19.43.png

The ten winners of this round will be in the Europa League group stage.
So this means that the likes of Dinamo Zagreb & Olympiacos may join Brighton in the draw.

Teams on the left play the first leg at home (24th August), then the second away (31st August).

Afterwards, the Europa League group stage draw will commence on the 1st of September :thumbsup:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The first half of the first UCL Play Off Rounds were played last night

Antwerp beat AEK Athens 1-0 at home, Copenhagen won 1-0 away at Rakow and Rangers played out an entertaining 2-2 draw with PSV.

Other first ties are tonight, with the losers on aggregate going into the UEL Group Stages.
1692781520572.png

The UEL Play off Round first legs are on Thursday, with the return legs a week later. The winners will join us in the Group Stages. Losers go into the Conference League.

1692781695567.png

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Am I right I’m thinking I’m going to have to tell work I need time off to go to Switzerland to watch young boys? Is that a f***ing possibility?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hope we do, I’ll go to Glasgow, wicked city.
I hope we don't.

Firstly, we'll get about 500 tickets. Secondly, we'll reciprocate by giving them a similar number, yet Brighton will be overrun with pissed up twats from Scotland and Northern Ireland all pissing in the street and singing shite sectarian songs in the train queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports