[Albion] Who will leave us in the summer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm saying what I'd like to see happen as a fan. Of course he could be sold. But I'd hope the club would say we're not selling him yet. If we can keep him, we'd almost certainly get more money than if he goes in just a few months. He's only been here for half a season and there's a compelling footballing case for him to stay and improve, especially under De Zerbi, for at least one more year.
I agree with all of that, with the caveat that as a fan, I'm also OK with the club trousering a huge amount of cash to safeguard and turbocharge the club's future. Everyone has a price.

My wife would tell you that I take things very literally (which she LOVES, obviously :lolol:), so when I read "On no account must he be sold" I can't help responding. :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm saying what I'd like to see happen as a fan. Of course he could be sold. But I'd hope the club would say we're not selling him yet. If we can keep him, we'd almost certainly get more money than if he goes in just a few months. He's only been here for half a season and there's a compelling footballing case for him to stay and improve, especially under De Zerbi, for at least one more year.

And that was exactly what happened with Cucurella and Caicedo where there were compelling footballing cases for them to stay. But then the money got stupid, and when the money gets that stupid, you have to take it because not taking it would be joining in with the stupidity :wink:

Even though we all hope that situation doesn't happen with Pedro, and believe FFP makes it far less likely :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As others have mentioned there are a number of clubs who have to offload and the January window was almost non-existent.

If none of that were true then Chelsea would almost certainly come in for Joao Pedro for over £100 million. I just don't see that happening now. It'll take a huge offer from a club in the Champions League I reckon.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's interesting because if FFP is really having the impact it appears over the last transfer window and the next few, does that strengthen our stated plan of buying prospects cheap and selling proven Premier League stars for big money, or weaken it ?

I suspect that whichever, TB and PB will have a plan :wink:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Pedro's barely started on his footballing journey. He could easily usurp Richarlison in the Brazil line-up earlydoors. Looks the part. I'm afraid I don't share your trust in Bloom and Barber not to sell the boy off prematurely. They've got previous. Bank balance will be healthier, team will be weaker. Clearly the higher up the footballing food chain you go, the harder it becomes to replace like for like. At a certain level the algorithm will be of limited use

*edit* 'trust' is probably the wrong word. It's their club, they can run it exactly as they see fit, no matter how frustring it sometimes gets for us fans fir them not to exactly bust a gut to retain a player that wants to leave
The key point for me is that Tony is a proper, genuine, lifelong fan too.

He will also want to bust a gut to keep an outstanding player, but at the same time won't let that stop him making the cold hard business decisions that are required, when they are required.

I think that's what fuels my trust - he's an outstanding businessman, but also has the perspective of a fan right there in his enormous brain, feeding into the decisions he makes. It's not news to anyone, that we are very, very lucky in that regard.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Yep, I am not too worried about the players. I don't like how it's all gone quiet, re Liverpool. The pundits have RDZ running a close second to Alonso. RDZ would be a fool not to take it if offered, we really don't have the resources to constantly punch above our weight, a regular top ten finish with an occasional sniff or two at some silver ware and an on-off spot in Europe is probably the best (and bloody proud of this we should be) we can hope for. Whereas Liverpool whilst he would be under extreme pressure to get results, have the resources he needs.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The key point for me is that Tony is a proper, genuine, lifelong fan too.

He will also want to bust a gut to keep an outstanding player, but at the same time won't let that stop him making the cold hard business decisions that are required, when they are required.

I think that's what fuels my trust - he's an outstanding businessman, but also has the perspective of a fan right there in his enormous brain, feeding into the decisions he makes. It's not news to anyone, that we are very, very lucky in that regard.
It suits Bloom’s style to say he won’t stand in the way of an ambitious player. And he’s being genuine.
Not sure if RDZ is suited to Liverpool atm where defence is just as important as attack, Liverpool are at the point where they expect trophies, etc and the profile of the manager is expected to be high.

although he has been brilliant for us, he doesn’t really have the track record to be a shoe in for the top clubs ……. Yet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why do we brick it as soon as we get a decent player…? Bissouma was ‘definitely leaving’ for about 2/3 years of transfer windows according to NSC posters 🤷🏻‍♂️

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Why do we brick it as soon as we get a decent player…? Bissouma was ‘definitely leaving’ for about 2/3 years of transfer windows according to NSC posters 🤷🏻‍♂️
I agree , seems like as soon as someone starts playing well NSC can’t wait to sell them

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Yep, I am not too worried about the players. I don't like how it's all gone quiet, re Liverpool. The pundits have RDZ running a close second to Alonso. RDZ would be a fool not to take it if offered, we really don't have the resources to constantly punch above our weight, a regular top ten finish with an occasional sniff or two at some silver ware and an on-off spot in Europe is probably the best (and bloody proud of this we should be) we can hope for. Whereas Liverpool whilst he would be under extreme pressure to get results, have the resources he needs.
Also Liverpool is a great job. Usually managers take over from a failing position but this is a job at a top club with a really good team. Not many managers would turn that down

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree , seems like as soon as someone starts playing well NSC can’t wait to sell them
It’s just tiresome. Ferguson is the prime example. Bangs a few in and clearly a talent and NSC is discussing what he’s worth - who gives a shit - he’s our young player. It’s like the tabloids that link everyone with everyone in terms of transfers - tiring and normally BS! Enjoy our players and the ride…

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Salah will leave Liverpool and Pedro will be bought as his replacement, is my guess

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Salah will leave Liverpool and Pedro will be bought as his replacement, is my guess
The first part of that is likely. Saudi will pay £100m + for a 31 year old

The second is plausible, but there are other contenders

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s just tiresome. Ferguson is the prime example. Bangs a few in and clearly a talent and NSC is discussing what he’s worth - who gives a shit - he’s our young player. It’s like the tabloids that link everyone with everyone in terms of transfers - tiring and normally BS! Enjoy our players and the ride…
It annoys me as well. But I think it's natural given we've not held on to our best players in the last couple of summers.

I think what it would take to stop this is some statement refusals to sell. Eg Man Utd offer us £80m for Pedro and we tell them to do one, Pedro then signs new longer term deal with us.

At the moment there are very few here who think we'll resist bids for our best players all summer. Maybe they are right, maybe they aren't. But I understand why they think it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don’t disagree but what else do you expect from a chat room? If it relied on facts rather than opinions and gossip NSC would be dead.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Discussing this topic with my pal last night, fees are irrelevant to supporters as the last two windows have proved. The majority of posters would admit selling the midfield duo left us short and the club tried to patch it up with a free signing and a young lad who had only played a handful of games last season.
January comes and goes another couple of kids signed not much help to a coach who is trying to compete on three fronts.
Interesting to see how it pans out in the summer on a couple of fronts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports