Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here saw the Albion play at the Goldstone?

Did you see the Albion play at the Goldstone?

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I grew up with The Goldstone. I first went on my 9th birthday in 1974 and stood at the front of the south West terrace on a milk crate. With alraming regularity we appeared in photographs in the Argus whenever a goal was scored in the south end.

When I got to about 12, I started going in the south stand, then about 15 onwards the north stand. My later Goldstone years were spent on the north east terrace with Tricky Dicky and Zef et-al.

To me, it will always be a "proper" football ground. I absolutely detest sitting down at football matches. I will never ever forget the bundles in the north stand when we scored.

RIP The Goldstone
:cry:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Started off in 1971 on the East Terrace with my dad, graduated to standing in the South Stand with him when I got a bit older. As soon as I was allowed to go on my own I went in the North Stand. Stood to the right of the goal about half way back. The only stand I never went in was the Lego Stand.

It brings tears to my eyes thinking of all my memories of the Goldstone - the atmosphere, the surges, getting squashed against the crash barrier, going mental when we scored. Nothing will ever beat it.

I will never forgive Archer for what he did to our club.

First went in 1960, used to go with my Dad and stand on the East Terrace until I went to Hove GS and discovered draught Bass in the 'Stadium' at the bottom of Holmes Avenue.

My fondest memories are: promotion and Bobby Smith in 1965 (my mother's flat in Hangleton still has some stolen grass from that day), Barry Rees, watching some curly haired youth called Peter Ward in his first reserve game, as others the 7-0 vs Walsall and the rain that evening, getting 3hrs detention (with 20+ others) for bunking off School Speech Day (in the evening!) to go to a league cup game vs Wolves. Finally, the 1979 promotion season.

I miss it too as does my son (now 22) and did my late father.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I was north stand, just to the left of the cage, about 2/3 of the way back
Did this for many a year, til the last game of the season when i couldnt get a ticket apart from in the west stand terrace by the corner flag

i even scored a penalty past perry digweed :)

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Whatever state the ground was in at the end it was YOUR ground and it was a proper football ground. I wouldn't wish what has happened to Brighton on any club, utter waste of 10 years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree it's a personal choice/principle thing - my choice is never.

Hope your home delivery from Forfars is OK at the weekend.

sorry...that goes way over my head. far too clever for me

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good poll..............yes many a happy memories about the old girl. Miss her so much.Its easy to understand why the atmoshere has been diluted at home games since we lost our true home.Some fans have never experienced a roof over their head for a home game! When we get our new home the atmosphere will return and a new generation of fans will be hooked. (and surprised how passionate Albion fans can be) The Goldstone was never the best Football Ground around (about on par with Elm Park, County ground, and Brisbane road ect) but it was home and it could rock..................roll on Falmer when Brighton and Hove Albion can rise like a Phoenix!:albion2:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Whatever state the ground was in at the end it was YOUR ground and it was a proper football ground. I wouldn't wish what has happened to Brighton on any club, utter waste of 10 years.

My God..................that almost made me shed a tear.......................now piss off palace scu...........................:lolol::lolol::thumbsup:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
nope :( didn't live with my dad and too young to go by myself - had to wait until Withdean before i could actually go to a match and trying hard to make up for it now.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
yeh, went with my grandad '67 onwards
from 1970 it was the northstand for me.....i miss it :down:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Yes - hardly missed a game through the nineties.

The highs - Liverpool in the FA Cup, Man U in the League Cup (Beckham made his debut for them that night), beating Ipswich to make the play-offs, demolishing Millwall 4-1 in the play-offs.

The lows - losing to Sudbury on penalties in the FA Cup, Darlington on a cold winter's night, the Bellotti years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here