Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here saw the Albion play at the Goldstone?

Did you see the Albion play at the Goldstone?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Taken as a baby doesn't count! :p

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
yep...........

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Was what was normally the "away corner" up beside the North Stand used by Albion fans after about 1975. I know I either stood or sat in every other part of the ground but I also vaguely think that I remember being in that corner in the late 70's?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Once.

We drew 2-2, Speed scored and I think the other was an own goal.

It was the season we won division two on goal difference - 89/90.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The smash of glass and the rumble of boots. Tea tasting like diesel. Piss following you out of the 'toilets'. Burgers made of unspecificied species. Grumpy old bastards on the door.

Then when you got to the top of the stairs going up to the North Stand, onto the terrace, there was the pitch in front of you, and the heart quickened a beat. Take your place with your mates on the terrace, next to some smelly old git who insisted on smoking you and everyone else with twenty feet to death. Those within thirty feet usually got a throat load of hacked-up greenie sprayed on you.

Then the players came out to a tinny 'Sussex by the Sea'. Watch Peter O'Sullivan / Steve Penney / Tony Towner take the piss out of some poor, unsuspecting full-back. Peter Ward / Michael Robinson / Garry Nelson on hand to bang in the winner. Jump around like a dervish, while steaming down the terrace, shouting yourself hoarse. Players go off to appreciative applause.

Leave the hallowed place, avoid the mad bastards from Manchester City / Arsenal / Leeds United without laces in their DMs, trying to chase you across Hove Park for a good kicking.

Find a good fish and chip shop on the way home once back in safe territory.

f***, I miss that place... :down:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Once.

We drew 2-2, Speed scored and I think the other was an own goal.

It was the season we won division two on goal difference - 89/90.

That would be Ian Chapman's much shown goal I believe. I think John Crumplin also rose like a salmon to head an equaliser for us in a game against Leeds?

Was that also the season when Leeds ran riot in Bournemouth at the end of the season?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i saw my first game there at the age of 2, and my last game there at the age of 9

used to sit front row of the south stand, right behind the goal. being as close to the doncaster goal as you could get is my abiding memory of the place, although when mrs ticehursts chair collapsed from under her was pretty memorable as well - and the club were so cheap that it NEVER got fixed, we all just had to shift up one seat

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
That would be Ian Chapman's much shown goal I believe. I think John Crumplin also rose like a salmon to head an equaliser for us in a game against Leeds?

Was that also the season when Leeds ran riot in Bournemouth at the end of the season?

I was going to say Chapman but wasn't 100% sure.

Yes, a few weeks later we went to Bournemouth and, uhm, celebrated. :/

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yep, as a youngster.

I have clearer memories of Gillingham. :(:angry:

The only actual match I remember well is the fans united game. Craig Maskell :bowdown:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Saw them many times at the Goldstone and I was a programme seller there from 1975/79.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don`t think many Palace fans have either. We always out sung you though!!!

You IMAGINED you did because you probably saw the highlights on telly, when you certainly sounded louder but I think the cameras and microphones were very close to your fans !

You were f***ing quiet by the end of the games though !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here