Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here saw the Albion play at the Goldstone?

Did you see the Albion play at the Goldstone?

• Total voters

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You must have had one of the Golden Pitches of the Church steps or the NE corner to be selling 1500 mate. I had the poxy SW corner so you had to pass somebody else to get to my spot. I used to get about £12 for 300 (mid 80s) so I guess 4p each. And you got in free once you'd counted your dosh and had it checked in by the old boy.

He'd be SO slow, and you'd hear the ooohs and aaahs from above you in the West stand and be cursing him. It was agony!!

I was in the directors car park in the south west corner of the ground, In the event of me not selling them all I used to walk around the outside of pitch a few times after kick off and I allways got rid of them! That old boy in the counting hut was his name charlie?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Many, many times.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Ive been told I went a few times but I can remeber to be honest so I voted No :( My clearest memorys are gillingham!!!

Cheesus, am I that old that kids are asking this question already??

I used to crawl under the corrugated East fence when I was 5, then the turnstiles when I got too big for the fence. Then sporadic few visits in the later 60's.

Through the 70's from around '73 onwards, I didn't miss all that many games.

Just a couple of days ago, I broke with recent tradition and actually LOOKED down the lane as I drove up Old Shoreham Rd. I usually look the other way - but the pangs of longing as I looked down that little street, with the gardens sloping down to the old East Terrace, were almost dizzying.

If I were to make enough millions, I'd buy back that property and pull down the shite that got put there - and build the Goldstone Ground back up.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Just a couple of days ago, I broke with recent tradition and actually LOOKED down the lane as I drove up Old Shoreham Rd. I usually look the other way - but the pangs of longing as I looked down that little street, with the gardens sloping down to the old East Terrace, were almost dizzying.

If I were to make enough millions, I'd buy back that property and pull down the shite that got put there - and build the Goldstone Ground back up.

I can drive past the place and I can shop there, but the bit I miss is when i'm on a train leaving Aldrington and approaching hove! I still look out for the floodlights and I still hear the cheer followed by SEAGULLS! SEAGULLS! :albion2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll never shop there, I hope they all go bankrupt.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have no problem shopping there etc etc

It was over 10 years ago now and perhaps people ought to move on.....maybe?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was in the directors car park in the south west corner of the ground, In the event of me not selling them all I used to walk around the outside of pitch a few times after kick off and I allways got rid of them! That old boy in the counting hut was his name charlie?

That's the fella. He hat a little office under the West stand though by then.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I have no problem shopping there etc etc

It was over 10 years ago now and perhaps people ought to move on.....maybe?

About time they did especially when we've had posts recently saying we should build bridges with the cuntress family!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Of course I went, didn't all real Albion fans! 1978 onwards for me, looking through my old programs recently it's amazing how many footballing legends played there, sadly mostly for the opposition!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
1st game v Bolton '78, saw more than i missed up to the final Donny game.It was a bit of a shithole the last 4 or 5 seasons though, but it was OUR shithole.

kjgoodall

Jan 5, 2006
Me, I was there from about 69 onwards. Was there on the famous 'boxing day', remember some big games against Leeds, Ipswich and Liverpool.

God how I hate a certain DIY chain, I've been one of the hundreds that have stood in the middle of the store saying to my son 'This is just about where I used to stand'

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
From about 73 or 74 onwards.

When I first used to go with my school friends on the supporters bus from Horsham, it was on the understanding that I was only to go in the South stand - the North stand was designated off limits.

However that didn't last long, once we decided that the North looked pretty cool and tried it out I was hooked, used to stand to the right of the goal about half way back.

My favourite memories? Ipswich in the League Cup - 2-1, Sheffield Wednesday promotion night 3-2, Walsall 7-0, Beating Palace, Norwich in the FA Cup - Christ that was packed that day, Liverpool when Ryan and Connor scored, and Donny of course.

Worst - too many but the day Chelsea came down was awful, Spurs (although we won the game) winning 2-0 against Blackpool and not going up cos Spurs/Saints had played out a 0-0, Leatherhead, W+Hearsham, and to be really honest most of the last few seasons there.

Let's not forget that whilst it was home, it was in a prettty sorry state by the middle of the 90s

Still miss it. It was where I belonged on a Saturday for a good few years.

kjgoodall

Jan 5, 2006
I forgot to mention the patch of grass in my back garden that came from a special place after a certain 'last game'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here