Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the best players in the Championship?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No way will Zaha be better than Bale

Will be? I'm sorry Brian, but you're talking in the wrong tense there. Winifried Zaha is ALREADY better. No question, he is the best EVER to play in this division. Of ALL time. The second tier of English football has been going for however many decades, but HE has finally come among us. No, not the 38 cap Spanish International WINGER who dazzled in the top tier of Spanish football and commanded bids from Real Madrid and Barcelona, but some youth teamer developed by Crystal Palace. Outrageous claim, with absolutely no justification offered.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Zaha looks potentially good to me, but not as a winger but as a forward. Keep him out on the wing would be the best way to stop him. He could be compared to Buckley.

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
will be? I'm sorry brian, but you're talking in the wrong tense there. Winifried zaha is already better. No question, he is the best ever to play in this division. Of all time. The second tier of english football has been going for however many decades, but he has finally come among us. No, not the 38 cap spanish international winger who dazzled in the top tier of spanish football and commanded bids from real madrid and barcelona, but some youth teamer developed by crystal palace. Outrageous claim, with absolutely no justification offered.

very much this.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
will be? I'm sorry brian, but you're talking in the wrong tense there. Winifried zaha is already better. No question, he is the best ever to play in this division. Of all time. The second tier of english football has been going for however many decades, but he has finally come among us. No, not the 38 cap spanish international winger who dazzled in the top tier of spanish football and commanded bids from real madrid and barcelona, but some youth teamer developed by crystal palace. Outrageous claim, with absolutely no justification offered.

This post highlights how ridiculous Glenn Murray's claims are

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Keep this thread going, you'll then include Zaha after we've played you. For an older Palace fan i have no malice against you lot, preferring to keep my distaste for the Clowns and Moan Utd, even though in the distant past i've worn spit and bricks from some of your older generation.
Having watched Zaha for almost every game this season, you only have to go on other team websites to seee how he's playing at the moment, he will terrorise Bridge. Guaranteed first tackle, Bridge will take a card to smash Wilf and Jedinak will smash Buckley, that will change the tempo of the game. For anyone who included Danny Murphy (aged and looking it), Wilf made him look an idiot a few times on Saturday, mugging him with 'tekkers' you only usually see on Soccer AM.
Still, opinions are opinions and the only player i would have from your team in ours is Buckley and from reading what i do on here about Vicente, i think he'll be heading for sunnier climbs and a more relaxing way of life, if he can get/stay fit.

Bridge vs Zaha will be a very interesting match up. Best winger vs best full back, and I recon whoever comes out in top will likely win the game.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Waffle post (back from the pub)

Barker was sub for the first team against Barnsley. He scores goals but .... ??? (it does not seem he is another Peter Ward?)

I posted this on the wrong thread, but what the hell .... Zaha are 19 years old playing for Palace first team cannot be ignored ... he looks a bit useful as well.

The great fear with Vicente is that the defence would take the easy option and always pass to him. Now we have Crofts and Bridge as outlets (not Bridge in the last two games as he did not seem to be there) we can resist the predictable route.

I loved it when I think it was Navarro in one match received the ball for Vicente and the Spaniard expected the obvious lay off and instead Navarro swivelled and scored!

Navarro has been playing for Swindon lately. Is he injured?

The Leeds right back, Bejam or somefing was only 19 as well ?

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Final selection after 14 games:

Kuszczak (Brighton)
Trippier (Burnley) Woodgate (Middlesbrough) Hudson (Cardiff) Bridge (Brighton)
Eagles (Bolton) Whittingham (Cardiff) D Murphy (Blackburn)
Buckley (Brighton) Austin (Burnley) Zaha (Palace)​

subs: J Steele (Middlesbrough) Morgan (Leicester) Bruno (Brighton) Nuno Gomes (Blackburn) Nugent (Leicester) Ince (Blackpool) Rhodes (Blackburn)

Brighton 4
Blackburn 3
Burnley 2
Leicester 2
Middlesbrough 2
Cardiff 2
Blackpool 1
Bolton 1
Palace 1

My betting by the end of the season different players will figure. Bruno has not really been tested yet. Bellamy and Vicente are both injured.

Eeven as I wrote this, I thought that Nugent can't last a full match nowadays and our defence only let him slip by once. Originally, I included Helguson (Cardiff) but there is very little to choose between the strikers. Becchio wasn't even picked for Leeds.

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | Top Scorers

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
ANOTHER top quality shout. The claim that Zaha is the best dribbler EVER to play in this league is the funniest thing I've read on here since the tales of the girlfriend of [MENTION=13433]Kumquat[/MENTION]!

How did you know she was a dribbler?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If you believe the press, then yes, United want to sign him. As do Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

Everyone wants to sign him, really. Where's the interest? Arsenal have had Pat Rice at the last 3 home games this season, to watch Wilf. There are articles everywhere linking him to top clubs.

‘I’d snub £20m for Zaha’, says Crystal Palaces Steve Parish - Football - Sport - London Evening Standard
Manchester United in for Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha | Mail Online
Arsenal to make £9m move for Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace in January | Mail Online

The fact that you haven't seen the articles doesn't mean that they don't exist... :facepalm:

LOL, 3 articles, that all? There's no real evidence to suggest they will make bids. Especially if Parish thinks he'll get £20 million. He's only worth as much as the market suggests, which so far is only £4 million

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Not going to enter the Zaha debate but just to add that Danny Murphy looked absolute toilet last saturday for Blackburn, Legs have gone i think.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not going to enter the Zaha debate but just to add that Danny Murphy looked absolute toilet last saturday for Blackburn, Legs have gone i think.

You might very well be right. He looked like another Jimmy Case in the match I saw him play. The Palace style does run the legs of the opposition though which why I thought the bookies were wrong and you will be up there at the finish. Leicester's oldies have got the stamina to press for a whole game either and they looked knackered against the Albion.

We might have to exclude Danny Murphy and find who is the best defensive midfielder? The trouble these players can be effective and go unnoticed. I am not sure how aware Zaha is of what is going on the rest of the pitch? I did not put him as a winger but in the hole behind the main striker, the player that goes wide at times.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just looking at some people's team of the division, and there are up to THREE Brighton players? How does that work then? We're 10th. I must admit, I'm struggling to name a better keeper and fullback than ours, but that's because I don't really know about other team's players and besides, results speak for themselves.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Final selection after 14 games:

Kuszczak (Brighton)
Trippier (Burnley) Woodgate (Middlesbrough) Hudson (Cardiff) Bridge (Brighton)
Eagles (Bolton) Whittingham (Cardiff) D Murphy (Blackburn)
Buckley (Brighton) Austin (Burnley) Zaha (Palace)​

subs: J Steele (Middlesbrough) Morgan (Leicester) Bruno (Brighton) Nuno Gomes (Blackburn) Nugent (Leicester) Ince (Blackpool) Rhodes (Blackburn)

BBC SPORT | Football | Championship | Top Scorers

Charlie Austin scored again and I think I would have to take Nugent out and put Glenn Murray in on the subs bench.

I am not sure about Hudson this year as the normally sound Cardiff defence seems to sprung a bad leak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here