Who are the best players in the Championship?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I've seen us play three times this season - Ipswich, Boro and Leeds.

The best players - Carlos Edwards, Nicky Bailey and Paddy Kenny.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Based upon what I have seen so far...

Schmichael - Leicester

Bruno - Brighton
Bridge - Brighton
Woodgate - Middlesboro
Hanley - Blackburn

Ince - Blackpool
Zaha - Scum
Whittingham - Cardiff
Bailey - Middlesborough

Murray - Scum
Beechio Leeds

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Best Centre Half Pairing?

I don't think I have ever seen Grant Hanley play?

No centre half stands out. Hanley does not seem to play for Blackburn every week.

A settled back four unit is crucial in the Championship.

Zaha looks most dangerous when he is on the edge of the box. As a winger Gomes and Buckley are ahead. A winger is expected to beat the full back on the outside. It is what he does next that counts.

I am basing the choice on what I have seen last season so the players in the relegated sides are unknown as we have not played any of them yet.

The full backs are meant to be good at defending deep high crosses as well, or otherwise Edwards and the Leeds right back would be OK. Bruno has not been tested yet.

I am looking for a standard 4-3-3.

One defensive midfielder: Danny Murphy (but he more of a central ball winner)
One box to box: Whittingham
One creative: Vicente (if fit which he is not) so maybe Ince (we played on a good day for him) maybe quite a few others as well.

One winger: Will Buckley
One behind the main striker: Zaha
Striker: Charlie Austin (goal scoring is all he can do)

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Plenty of Leeds fans think Becchio is hopeless! FWIW, anyone omitting Charlie Austin is just wrong aren't they?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one for Best Creative Midfielder ?

I have Trippier as one of my favourite right backs but he is all over the place for Burnley. So in the absence of any better ideas the defence is:

Kuszczak
Trippier Woodgate Hudson Bridge​

which leaves open who is the most creative midfielder (assists, passing and a few goals) as Vicente is injured?

Kuszczak
Trippier Woodgate Hudson Bridge
??? Whittingham D Murphy?
Buckley Austin Zaha​

Definites in bold

D

Deleted member 18477

I have Trippier as one of my favourite right backs but he is all over the place for Burnley. So in the absence of any better ideas the defence is:

Kuszczak
Trippier Woodgate Hudson Bridge​

which leaves open who is the most creative midfielder (assists, passing and a few goals) as Vicente is injured?

Kuszczak
Trippier Woodgate Hudson Bridge
??? Whittingham D Murphy?
Buckley Austin Zaha​

Definites in bold

Koren is class for Hull. has been for a few seasons.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Zaha the best winger to play in this division ? :lolol:

Gareth Bale played as a left back/left winger in the Championship...

Walcott, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Adel Taarabt, Aaron Lennon, Matt Jarvis, Adam Johnson. I'm sure there are many more.

So you must think Zaha is better than Theo Walcott, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Adel Taarabt, Aaron Lennon, Matt Jarvis, Adam Johnson.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Zaha the best winger to play in this division ? :lolol:

Gareth Bale played as a left back/left winger in the Championship...

Walcott, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Adel Taarabt, Aaron Lennon, Matt Jarvis, Adam Johnson. I'm sure there are many more.

So you must think Zaha is better than Theo Walcott, Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Adel Taarabt, Aaron Lennon, Matt Jarvis, Adam Johnson.

I have no doubt that he will be better than every single one of those players mentioned. Arsenal want to sign him to replace Walcott. If you haven't seen him this season, wait until December 1st. You'll see exactly what we mean.

He is, by a distance, the finest and best player in the Championship. He is a joy to watch. The media agrees, by the way: Wilfried Zaha dazzles for Crystal Palace - Telegraph

(By the way, I can't see any articles about Buckley anywhere in the mainstream media. In fact, I can't remember hearing about him at all apart from on here!)

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I have no doubt that he will be better than every single one of those players mentioned. Arsenal want to sign him to replace Walcott. If you haven't seen him this season, wait until December 1st. You'll see exactly what we mean.

He is, by a distance, the finest and best player in the Championship. He is a joy to watch. The media agrees, by the way: Wilfried Zaha dazzles for Crystal Palace - Telegraph

(By the way, I can't see any articles about Buckley anywhere in the mainstream media. In fact, I can't remember hearing about him at all apart from on here!)

Taarabt, Dyer and Walcott maybe, not the rest.

Don't get me wrong, I really do rate Zaha but the price tags are ridiculous, you've got to admit that.

Buckley is class, I'm not saying he's better or worse than Zaha but he is possibly the quickest player in this division.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I have posing this question for a bit. After one season, we should have some idea by now, although I do not know that much about the relegated teams. Chris Eagles has always looked good.

I have pencilled in a team, but I can't find a right back that is outstanding every match. I was not that impressed by Richards (Ipswich) but there were not many others.

One player really stands out: Peter Whittingham, a goalscoring midfielder. There are quite a few players like Matt Phillips who played well against us, but was not so good away from Bloomfield Road. Others like Charlie Austin who looked a very goal scorer but did not do much else. Now that Billy Sharp is fit, he may cause trouble if he can get service.

Full team later.

Kuzsack and Bruno are 2 of them

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Another poster was saying United wanted to sign him...

But where's the obvious interest? No articles suggesting moves, only a bid last season.

From Bolton.

For 4 million

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing

You said that Freedman was going nowhere.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
You said that Freedman was going nowhere.

I don't think I said that, but I certainly said that it would be a stupid move. He left, and it was a stupid move. You'd have to be an utter madman to want to leave Palace at the moment.

By the way, that changes nothing re. Zaha. He is still the best player in the league.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Another poster was saying United wanted to sign him...

But where's the obvious interest? No articles suggesting moves, only a bid last season.

From Bolton.

For 4 million

If you believe the press, then yes, United want to sign him. As do Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

Everyone wants to sign him, really. Where's the interest? Arsenal have had Pat Rice at the last 3 home games this season, to watch Wilf. There are articles everywhere linking him to top clubs.

‘I’d snub £20m for Zaha’, says Crystal Palaces Steve Parish - Football - Sport - London Evening Standard
Manchester United in for Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha | Mail Online
Arsenal to make £9m move for Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace in January | Mail Online

The fact that you haven't seen the articles doesn't mean that they don't exist... :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports