Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which cool Band, of their time, now sound dated and a bit naff to you??

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Pwei and neds atomic dustbin haven't aged well though it must be said.[/]

Yep, you're right on those two. The Wonderstuff (Who were also in that scene), still sound pretty good however.

PWEI and the Neds were rubbish Wonder Stuff wannabes from the start though.

On the other hand, Clint Mansell has developed into one of the best and most enduring film score composers of his generation.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bay city rollers
The Osmonds
Slick
Mud
The Rubettes (except sugar baby love)
Gary Glitter
The Glitter band
Barry Blue
Bobby Crush
Alvin Stardust
Sweet
St Winifreds school choir

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bay city rollers
The Osmonds
Slick
Mud
The Rubettes (except sugar baby love)
Gary Glitter
The Glitter band
Barry Blue
Bobby Crush
Alvin Stardust
Sweet
St Winifreds school choir

Which one of them was considered cool then???

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
PWEI and the Neds were rubbish Wonder Stuff wannabes from the start though.

On the other hand, Clint Mansell has developed into one of the best and most enduring film score composers of his generation.

Did you see the Sounds of Cinema documentary series on BBC4 the last few weeks? He's in the last one. Excellent series

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Which one of them was considered cool then???

Ok maybe not some of them especially the choir, I was having a laugh, but if you are of a certain age , regrettably they were cool bands to like maybe not personally but amongst schoolfriends etc the glam rock era was strangley very cool. When I say strangley I am not including the magnificent T Rex.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok maybe not some of them especially the choir, I was having a laugh, but if you are of a certain age , regrettably they were cool bands to like maybe not personally but amongst schoolfriends etc the glam rock era was strangley very cool. When I say strangley I am not including the magnificent T Rex.

True, I guess your age does have something to do with it. Didn't most 12 and 13 year old guys find Status Quo cool for a couple of decades at least. Great introduction to head banging, air guitars etc :lolol:

Worryingly I know a couple of middle aged guys who still think they're cool...

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Going to away games in the late seventies , especially South West London , all you would see was 999 graffitti .I used to go and see them a lot and they oozed punk chic. The dayglo socks , teddy boy shoes , skinhead haircuts and bloody great songs . In those days I adorned my clothes with the 999 logo with a big thick marker pen. Absolutly loved 'em.
The last 15 years or so , they have been a bit cringy , with Nick Cash spouting all sorts of silliness about ."......how they said punk would never last ....well look at us now....Punk Rock will live forever ". They are now just punk caberet.
Still go and see a lot of the old punk bands , Anti Nowhere League at the end of the month , but 999 sadly well and truly past their sell by date.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Pet Shop Boys.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Ride
Suede
Roni Size - If anyone other than the Mercury award committee thought he was cool anyway
Everything that Frankie GtH did after Two Tribes, although that record still sounds great to me.

I'm gonna add my voice to those who say that early Sabbath and Roxy and much of the Beatles stuff has not aged at all - with the exception of some filler album tracks in the Beatles early career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here