Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which cool Band, of their time, now sound dated and a bit naff to you??

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Shamen

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Cosmic Joker;5980030[B said:
]Ride[/B]
Suede
Roni Size - If anyone other than the Mercury award committee thought he was cool anyway
Everything that Frankie GtH did after Two Tribes, although that record still sounds great to me.

I'm gonna add my voice to those who say that early Sabbath and Roxy and much of the Beatles stuff has not aged at all - with the exception of some filler album tracks in the Beatles early career.

nnnnnoooooooooo. I still love ride. I listened to the first Suede Album the other day too and thought it sounded good.

I think I am ready for an early 90's revival.

But then Listening to To Toy, Love, Palmer Violets et al brings it all back.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Adam & The Ants.
When Adam Ant started his fancy dress stuff, Prince Charming and all that, sounds terrible now.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Edit Reread the question yep Beatles are in
I would love to agree with you on this one, but I think we could be seriously outnumbered on this one.

I would have to go for the Stone Roses, they still sound to me like a very average sixties band and I don't get how anyone could get so worked up by them.
Duran Duran, probably because I never liked them anyway.
Simple Minds, just because

Stone Roses are a great shout. Totally of their time & therefore hasn't aged well.

No sorry you can NOT have The Stone Roses, brilliant band still sound great to me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
nnnnnoooooooooo. I still love ride. I listened to the first Suede Album the other day too and thought it sounded good.

I think I am ready for an early 90's revival.

But then Listening to To Toy, Love, Palmer Violets et al brings it all back.

I am with you on Ride! Love those EP's.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Eddie brought out a CD of ukelele songs last year (which did, admittedly test my loyalties somewhat).

Then Nibble wrote: Yes, I heard the Ukelale album, hmmm.

Holy aloha, peeps. its "ukulele", which is Hawaiian for "jumping flea". The instrument is derived from something similar the Portuguese immigrants brought over from Madeira in the mid-1800s and the name was given for the quick hand movements required to play. Still popular over here in paradise, especially after the deserved acclaim for Braddah Iz -- Israel Kamakawi'wo'ole (Somewhere Over the Rainbow etc.).

You have not been charged for this Hawaiian Culture tutorial.

Anyhoo, for me:
Howard Jones
Flock O'S
OMD
Thompson Twins
Adam Ant
And other early to mid 80s big hair exponents that sound a bit naff now. Loved them at the time, it must be said.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Their rididculous drug addled hodgepodge albums in the middle of their career.

Their best albums you mean? Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road are in the top 10 albums in almost any chart you check. They are, in fact, the very definition of timeless. Agree with you on their earlier stuff though, I can take it or leave it.

I'd like to add The Smashing Pumpkins to the list as well please. Still a firm favourite of mine but once you get through your angst teen years and get a haircut, Billy's lyrics are a bit one dimensional.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Chelsea girl and drive blind still do it for me. *shivers*

Taste and Dreams Burn Down for me. Used to cover Drive Blind for encore.

If I want pop, I'll take Taste, Twisterella or Like A Daydream. If I want wistfulness, I'll take Sennen. For noise, Chelsea Girl, Leave Them All Behind, Seagull, Dreams Burn Down. If I want to be disappointed, I'll take half the second album plus most of what followed. If I ever start a thread for unlikely Top 10 hits, Leave Them All Behind will be up there...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I want pop, I'll take Taste, Twisterella or Like A Daydream. If I want wistfulness, I'll take Sennen. For noise, Chelsea Girl, Leave Them All Behind, Seagull, Dreams Burn Down. If I want to be disappointed, I'll take half the second album plus most of what followed. If I ever start a thread for unlikely Top 10 hits, Leave Them All Behind will be up there...

Nice selection, Ride are definitely going on today's playlist.

Starting with Sennen

Kaleidoscope, Seagull and Vapour trail deserve a mention too. agreed on half the second album and all that followed I just try to ignore there existence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here