Which cool Band, of their time, now sound dated and a bit naff to you??

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Sabbath still stand up. And most of Roxy Music actually. Never liked GD.

A big part of Roxy Music was pretentious bollocks in the first place for me

Sabbath? All head banging music sounds naff to me, so I'm probably a bit biased, oh and Ozzy Osbourne and his wife make me want to throw up :shrug:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So i am guessing you are not looking forward to the 90's revival then Nibs

Oh I dunno, I look back at the 90's with great fondness, they were my teenage years. I was more of a Soundgarden, Pearl Jam man myself though I didn't mind some BritPop. I liked the renewed feel of optimism of the 90's: Euro 96, Labour government, The Big Breakfast, Oasis Vs Blur, last of the raves, Brixton Acadamy, Jumpers for goalpostst eh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh I dunno, I look back at the 90's with great fondness, they were my teenage years. I was more of a Soundgarden, Pearl Jam man myself though I didn't mind some BritPop. I liked the renewed feel of optimism of the 90's: Euro 96, Labour government, The Big Breakfast, Oasis Vs Blur, last of the raves, Brixton Acadamy, Jumpers for goalpostst eh.

Could not go for that American stuff myself. nirvana were good, sonic youth were great, nine inch nails were okay but for me there was so much good stuff happening in England I didn't bother with the USA.

Pwei and neds atomic dustbin haven't aged well though it must be said.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Could not go for that American stuff myself. nirvana were good, sonic youth were great, nine inch nails were okay but for me there was so much good stuff happening in England I didn't bother with the USA.

Pwei and neds atomic dustbin haven't aged well though it must be said.

Sonic Youth I liked, never got too much into Nirvana, much better to listen to the bands they ripped off like Meat Puppets, Pixies etc. Pearl Jam have gone onto have an excellent body of work.

I always considered PWEI, Ned's etc to be somewhat gimmicky and not likely to stand the test of time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Pearl Jam are still amazing, and have become the Greatful Dead of the grunge generation. I have seen them loads of times, they have a new album coming out later this month, and Eddie brought out a CD of ukelele songs last year (which did, admittedly test my loyalties somewhat).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Pearl Jam are still amazing, and have become the Greatful Dead of the grunge generation. I have seen them loads of times, they have a new album coming out later this month, and Eddie brought out a CD of ukelele songs last year (which did, admittedly test my loyalties somewhat).

Any band that is heavily influenced by Neil Young is starting off on the right foot.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Clan of Xymox
Xmal Deutschland
Mega City 4
Cactus World News

At least one of these was never cool. Possibly all four.

I knew it would happen.. I haven't got a clue who any of those bands are

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Yes, I heard the Ukelale album, hmmm. They are a great band though, so glad they forged on. Seen them 3 times and loved each time. He has also done some great stuff with Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sonic Youth I liked, never got too much into Nirvana, much better to listen to the bands they ripped off like Meat Puppets, Pixies etc. Pearl Jam have gone onto have an excellent body of work.

I always considered PWEI, Ned's etc to be somewhat gimmicky and not likely to stand the test of time.

Love Sonic Youth, have no feelings about Nirvana, PWEI were very average, got progressively even more average, Ned's - well, one great single in a desert of mediocrity.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I remember Mega City 4, can't remember if I liked them or not.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Pwei and neds atomic dustbin haven't aged well though it must be said.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you're right on those two. The Wonderstuff (Who were also in that scene), still sound pretty good however.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports