Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which cool Band, of their time, now sound dated and a bit naff to you??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. A lot of people try to claim The Beatles changed music and are pioneers, but you can prove otherwise by spending 10 minutes browsing YouTube for evidence there were plenty of others doing exactly the same thing.

If you had been there you'd know it was a FACT. Browsing YouTube is not quite the same.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3D show in Eindhoven. Kraftwerk requested the venue themselves. Normally it's just used for conferences and events organised by Philips, who own the building.

I'm very jealous. Really jealous. Kraftwerk in a flying saucer is what dreams are made of.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
How much of their oeuvre have you actually listened to?

They sound nothing like most of the stuff that came out in the 1960's which would have been Rock and Roll.

And they were the original mop top shoulder swinging groovers of the 1960's, so if they sound like all the others, it's because all the others copied them - Q.E.D. in terms of changed the face of music.

Although the reality was probably a lot more subtle than that.

Like the Complete Badger above, I doubt you have ears or, if you have, you don't use them. Or rather, if you don't like them, fair enough, but most people would realise they were, to put it mildly, fairly influential.

Lot's of things are influential, doesn't make them any good. I cannot like something just becasue you say I have no ears if I don't. I have tried my uptmost to be into the Beatles, listened to all of their output but no, it just doesn't click with me. That doesn't mean I have no musical taste or ears (?) but that it differs to yours so you can climb down off your high horse now.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agreed. I've no real knowledge of 60s music, but what always strikes me whenever I see footage of ANY male band performing from that era is that they're almost identical to The Beatles in style, appearance, sound etc. A lot of people try to claim The Beatles changed music and are pioneers, but you can prove otherwise by spending 10 minutes browsing YouTube for evidence there were plenty of others doing exactly the same thing.

Prove? Something of an overstatement. The Beatles were the people who had the initial success or breakthrough and everyone else either jumped on the bandwagon or followed in their slipstream.

I am old enough to remember what the charts were like before the Beatles had their first hit record. The only thing, it seems to me, which might have preceded them, was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Alternatively the Nibster could be on a wind up.

Seriously, no wind up on this one. Cannot stand them or their music.Lots of bands were doing a similar thing before and at the same time as The Beatles, The Beatles caught on. To say they were the pioneers is to pretty much ignore musical history as The Beatles would like you to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Prove? Something of an overstatement. The Beatles were the people who had the initial success or breakthrough and everyone else either jumped on the bandwagon or followed in their slipstream.

I am old enough to remember what the charts were like before the Beatles had their first hit record. The only thing, it seems to me, which might have preceded them, was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates.

You are gettiing confused with the band that breaks through and the bands that actually pioneered the sound. The Beatles were not pioneers, unless you count their rididculous drug addled hodgepodge albums in the middle of their career as pioneering. I do not.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Seriously, no wind up on this one. Cannot stand them or their music.

Wow. I would be telling porkies if I said they were regularly on my iPod, but if I do listen to them their music was groundbreaking in the context of what else was around at the time.

Agree that Lennon was a CJTC though, but he could knock out a tune when working with SirThumbsAloft

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow. I would be telling porkies if I said they were regularly on my iPod, but if I do listen to them their music was groundbreaking in the context of what else was around at the time.

Agree that Lennon was a CJTC though, but he could knock out a tune when working with SirThumbsAloft

Great band who led the way in an amazinly creative era and still sound class today (expecting s few songs that were defiantly of their time.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You are gettiing confused with the band that breaks through and the bands that actually pioneered the sound. The Beatles were not pioneers, unless you count their rididculous drug addled hodgepodge albums in the middle of their career as pioneering. I do not.

The original question was about bands which sound dated, so we are getting off the point.... but who cares.

But - genuinely interested - who would you say were the pioneers?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In all seriousness for me a couple of bands that I genuinely thought were the shizzle when I first heard them were Stereo MC's and The Prodigy. They both seem so dated now, very much of their time. A lot of that Crusty music was terrible, though weirdly I still quite like Carter USM.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Grateful Dead

Black Sabbath

Roxy Music

Caravan

Early Queen

Traffic

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Sabbath still stand up. And most of Roxy Music actually. Never liked GD.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In all seriousness for me a couple of bands that I genuinely thought were the shizzle when I first heard them were Stereo MC's and The Prodigy. They both seem so dated now, very much of their time. A lot of that Crusty music was terrible, though weirdly I still quite like Carter USM.

So i am guessing you are not looking forward to the 90's revival then Nibs

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Grateful Dead

Black Sabbath

Roxy Music

Caravan

Early Queen

I have only discovered Roxy Music in the last few years and I think it sounds fantastic. Not a fan of the rest of your list but Sabbath still hold up with those who are into that stuff.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Carter USM are PALACE fans :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here