Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Albion player have you been most wrong about?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
A few from me:

Those who could have errmmmm maybe, but never quite did:

Maheta Molango - one of our first Spanish (Athletico Madrid?!?) signings, I was (to put it mildly) creaming one's self over his potential.
Nathan Elder - goals galore in the non league, I thought we'd found the 'new' Barry Hayles or someone of similar ilk.
Andy Ansah - proved, rather ironically, not to be the answer.
Craig Maskell - as my dad always said; "he should be better than he is." hmmmm yep.

Those who simply didn't:

Andy Whing - still, effort aside, the worst professional footballer I have witnessed in ahem 'action.'
Robbie Savage - passed it and past it.
Gary (snail) Hobson - came from Hull, I think?!? we should have known...
George 'Plaster of' Parris - Jesus wept.
Paul McDonald - allegedly good at home, a 'lighter shade of pale' away from home.

Those who never really got the chance:

Christian Baz - I saw a cameo from him up at Carlisle, he deserved more of a chance... alas... it wasn't to be.
The Fox brothers - Mark (rock God), and Simon... they looked 'class' in the warm ups. Oh how they could have lit up the third division - if given the green light.

The above is not really serious, so please don't take it that way... live and live I say...

Kosh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yes that's right Andrew, you did indeed win the Player of the season at some point.

You did do an awful lot of running, mostly backwards, punctuated by some rather uncoordinated last ditch sliding tackles...

Twas indeed a 'difficult' season.

Kosh

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Jesus Andrew you don't have to get yer dad on NSC to put me to shame... 77% of people can't be wrong, can they?!?

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Diego Arismendi. That was upsetting.
Gavin Hoyte. Same
Robbie Savage although that wasn't his fault. We were shocking at the time. Bloody RONALDO couldn't have done much for that team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mickey Thomas if only he had put his heart into the spell with us, he would have lived up to expectations rather than being a disappointment.

I clearly remember being really impressed when his signing was announced. It was on a late night Sports or news programme and I remember thinking what a great signing he'd be. Turned out to be a pisstaking Taffy who was seldom even in Sussex from what I remember.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've got to admit I was astounded when we let Murray go after the season he had just had. I know there were financial issues but surely they could have been sorted.

Nevermind we've let him go because we have bought someone better in CMS.

How could the club and scouts have got this one more wrong? It was blatantly obvious from the word go. Did no-one who mattered go and watch him before we royally screwed that one up???

I think we can lay that one firmly at Poyet's feet. He never liked Murray and he eulogised about CMS. I reckon we'd have got to the Premier League if we'd stuck with Murray for another two seasons.

Oleg_McNoleg

Jul 19, 2005
Frank Worthington. Bit young to remember him at his peak and was put off because he looked like the owner of a Worksop strip club. But made it all look easy.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Zimmer Walker looked anything but the broken old man many assumed had arrived at the Goldstone. I'm ashamed to say I shouted 'surely he's one of the players' dads - here to cheer on his son?' Or something equally unfunny. Got a few laughs in the North though...

The Chelsea and Fulham 'reject' was a great servant in the early nineties. Liked him - and I'm contrite.

Craig Maskell seemed to score a few AND I'm sure his shot led to the RR Messiah goal at Hereford? But I still expected more...

Paul Kitson and Mark Farrington were 'big names' that offered little returns...

More recently, Will Hoskins, poor guy. Expected him to be a revelation in the Championship.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Diego Arismendi. That was upsetting.
Gavin Hoyte. Same
Robbie Savage although that wasn't his fault. We were shocking at the time. Bloody RONALDO couldn't have done much for that team.

The only thing I remember about Arismendi was him getting sent off for fighting (?) at MK Dons.
Hoyte is a good shout- I had high hopes for him considering where he came from but apart from being quick he was shocking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only thing I remember about Arismendi was him getting sent off for fighting (?) at MK Dons.
Hoyte is a good shout- I had high hopes for him considering where he came from but apart from being quick he was shocking.

Hoyte was lightweight and bullied off the ball by any opponent. I remember him getting subbed at Withdean, which was met with applause and cheering from the South Scaffold Stand .... not in appreciation of his performance, but relief at his removal. He's now found his level in short term contracts in the lower leagues.

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
Kuipers

Kuipers was replaced at half time by Mark Cartwright who made a tremendous save which led to the sign him on chant. Southend won 2-0 and I think it was the first game of the season that the legend that is No. 25 signed. Cartwright later playe at Roots Hall for Shrewsbury.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Gavin Hoyte for me. On loan from a higher division with good reviews

I can't believe how bad he was. You just knew it was going to go wrong every time the ball went near him.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Paul Dickov was class in his loan spell at the goldstone. So much better than I expected. The one and only time I remember a crowd booing the manager as a way of pleading for the player to stay on the pitch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here