Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's the 15 Million gone?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I've come to the conclusion you have 17,155 posts on this message board and maybe you should go outside if your allowed without a nurse & therefore are clearly a very very sad man with no life and therefore I pity you.

Wow. [Pulls up a chair and opens a can of Pringles] This is gonna get interesting !!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I've come to the conclusion you have 17,155 posts on this message board and maybe you should go outside if your allowed without a nurse & therefore are clearly a very very sad man with no life and therefore I pity you.

17,155 in 11 years means that I can spot a ridiculous post when I see one.

:thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or the fact we cant bring in the players we want whilst selling the stars and even an assistant manager walked away, But good luck with that if you cant see there is something very wrong behind the scenes.

"Very wrong"? No, no I can't. Evidently I don't have your searing insight.

As if any of us give two shits about Sammy Lee: I'd say what was "wrong" there was that a club at a higher level offered him a bigger salary to go there. Which even you, in his position, would have done. Is that wrong, or just life?

Tony Bloom has always made it clear that he won't keep an unhappy player, as he feels, rightly IMHO, that such players damage morale. Therefore when the likes of Ulloa, Buckley & Bridcutt were offered huge pay rises & the chance to play in the PL, he felt- again, quite rightly- that it was better to let them go than have sulky players moping around the place, resenting the fact that they'd been denied their shot at the big time. What he DID do was ensure we got decent recompense for them. In the few games Bridcutt played in his final season, he looked like he couldn't be arsed. If we hadn't sold Ulloa, we'd have faced the same, I suspect.

What we do with that money is still up in the air. Some will no doubt go towards getting the club on a sounder financial footing, something which I can tell, from your little whinge about attendances there, you're very interested in. I think that's reasonable. I'd like us to be financially stable, unlike so many clubs. Some will go on players, and on the basis that there is still over a week left in which to sign some, I personally feel in no position to judge where we're at.

Obviously you, with your superior wisdom and foresight, do: all power to you.

Me, I'll leave it until 30th August before I decided whether the club have failed or not.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The thing is, it’s entirely laudable and I reckon necessary given our history to have a constant critical eye on the ownership & running of the club. The board should be accountable to the fans, and everyone is aware of this.

But complaining about where imaginary pots of money have gone seems ridiculous for a number of reasons including; the club have stated they haven’t closed for business until the window closes; we lost £14m last year; FFP is real and here and now; that there will be recompense if we don’t cut our cloth; and many, many more.

So I do honestly welcome the right of people to bitch and whine about whatever they want (we are British after all), but there are a massive number of solid arguments they have to counter for their complaint to be even remotely reasonable.

IMO innit.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

toys+out+pram.jpg

"Very wrong"? No, no I can't. Evidently I don't have your searing insight.

As if any of us give two shits about Sammy Lee: I'd say what was "wrong" there was that a club at a higher level offered him a bigger salary to go there. Which even you, in his position, would have done. Is that wrong, or just life?

Tony Bloom has always made it clear that he won't keep an unhappy player, as he feels, rightly IMHO, that such players damage morale. Therefore when the likes of Ulloa, Buckley & Bridcutt were offered huge pay rises & the chance to play in the PL, he felt- again, quite rightly- that it was better to let them go than have sulky players moping around the place, resenting the fact that they'd been denied their shot at the big time. What he DID do was ensure we got decent recompense for them. In the few games Bridcutt played in his final season, he looked like he couldn't be arsed. If we hadn't sold Ulloa, we'd have faced the same, I suspect.

What we do with that money is still up in the air. Some will no doubt go towards getting the club on a sounder financial footing, something which I can tell, from your little whinge about attendances there, you're very interested in. I think that's reasonable. I'd like us to be financially stable, unlike so many clubs. Some will go on players, and on the basis that there is still over a week left in which to sign some, I personally feel in no position to judge where we're at.

Obviously you, with your superior wisdom and foresight, do: all power to you.

Me, I'll leave it until 30th August before I decided whether the club have failed or not.

Bloody hell your putdowns are EXCELLENT.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The reason the OP isn't getting a serious debate is because his point of view is skewed by meaningless prejudicial arguments from a point of ignorance, assuming that his way of doing things is right, irrespective of the fact that 'professional football administrator' is spectacularly absent from his CV.

That, and telling people how they should debate his non-arguments makes for a very petulant child in need of a new nappy.

If he had a pertinent point to make, it might be worth debating.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aaron Hughes - Signing on fee?
Chris O'Grady - £500K
David Stockdale - £1m
Joao Teixeira - Loan fee?
Danny Holla - Signing on fee?
Paddy McCourt - signing on fee?

We are also expected to sign a left back today. And Warren Aspinall talked about three more signings before the close of the window.

As well as the fees, there are also wages to pay, and a FFP targets to meet.

There is also the fact you don't have to pay for quality. It can help with established talent, but Bridcutt was "free" (I'm sure he got a signing on bonus), and we later sold him for between 3.5-5m. We took on champions league experienced Kuszczak for "free". Upson came to us for "free". Smart buys can get you the players you need without having to spend money.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Chris O'Grady - £500K
David Stockdale - £1m

We are also expected to sign a left back today. And Warren Aspinall talked about three more signings before the close of the window.

He doesn't have a point to make regarding 'fees'.

Some people are happily seduced by the whole 'we must spend millions on a player' celebrity cachet in order to make themselves feel better.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Chris O'Grady - £500K
David Stockdale - £1m

There is also the fact you don't have to pay for quality. It can help with established talent, but Bridcutt was "free" (I'm sure he got a signing on bonus), and we later sold him for between 3.5-5m. We took on champions league experienced Kuszczak for "free". Upson came to us for "free". Smart buys can get you the players you need without having to spend money.

Was that 3 signings as well as the left back, or after the left back ?

If so it may well be the Irish right back, a premium striker, and a support striker ( Baldock) ? ???

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
There are always plenty of bargains to be had at every level. Just because a club spends x million on a player, it does not guarantee success. If the club can buy low/free and sell high (and the fees received have been more than fair) then it's fine by me. For an example, please see CMS - £2.5m - waste of money. Bridcutt, Ince, Bruno, Calderon etc - Free and much better value for money, as I am sure Holla, Hughes, McCourt et al will turn out to be.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The way you can distinguish a bedwetter from a genuinely concerned fan is whether they base their comments on facts or base them on wilful ignorance or absolute rubbish.

If the OP wants to know the clubs financial situation, read one of the many posts on the topic. If you don't realise that transfers fees are pretty irrelevant as player wages are at least four times bigger their transfer fees, start paying attention to people who point this out. If you think we have sold more than three players who were first team regulars and under contract this season, you can't count. If you three players makes up a big proportion of the playing squad, you need help with your maths.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. If your posts aren't based on facts, you are a bedwetter.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I'd suggest if you want a free spending club with no caution on their finances then Chelsea is the perfect team for you.

You're 10 years late.

man city now. Keep up.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Stockdale is an excellent signing, and one that a number of other clubs would have fancied, I'd wager. I think he'll be great for us.

Hughes is a solid, dependable, experienced defender for very little investment. I like that kind of deal.

O'Grady is a hard working, honest sort who hopefully will chip in with a few goals even if he's not the 20 per season man we still require. As strikers go, he wasn't expensive & IMHO was well worth a punt at that price.

Holla- free but on one showing at least, appears as though he might be a gem.

Teixeira- ditto.

McCourt- a no-fee, low risk waged maverick sort who probably won't start every week but might occasionally be capable of providing the key to unlocking a game.

And we've spent less than £2m on that lot. I think that's a pretty good start to the season. More would be nice, but personally I'm not one who thinks the Big Name signing is the be all and end all in this league. Imagine the satisfaction if we did well on the back of all this upheaval in player terms. It would be brilliant (well I think so anyway). A huge up yours to the likes of Forest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here