Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's the 15 Million gone?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It appears to me there a re a hell of a lot of fans either new or old that are happy whatever the club do, which is of course your prerogative.

I can assure you that I was far from happy when the Goldstone was sold in 1996, but I'm happy, nay, delighted with the way the club is being run now. To say that the people who have literally saved the club from oblivion have royally ****ed up I find mildy offensive. I'm not saying that they should not be scrutinised/critiscised, but I think they're doing a pretty bloody good job for us.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
No, there were dozens of others that weren't happy (until last night) that also hadn't paid any attention to the last few summer windows - there'll be more players coming in the next 11 days, but why do we have to spend all the budget, when we're in debt?

So last nights result has changed lots of people's opinions, jesus, it's one game!

Nobody is asking for all the budget spent, but you want some quality then you have to pay, quite simple. In my opinion if we think a few free's and loans are the answer then it's going to be a very long season and an away win at Leeds wont change that.

Hope i'm wrong and we bring in lots of free players and it works out great, just cant see it and don't think the clubs policy of ripping the fans off is fair when it comes down to it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't think this thread has gone the way the OP had hoped.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I'm pretty sure being in debt (and paying interest, overdraft fees, whatever) is worse business than restructuring the business in light of new legislation.

A lot of our most successful players from the most recent seasons have been loans and free transfers (Bridcutt, Bridge, Upson, Ward, PIG, Vicente (sort of)), so why should the club suddenly go out and spend a load of money when the quality players are out there, it is just a case of searching for them? Plus the fact that "selling our best players" seems to have been pretty fruitful, and if Holla is, as suggested, rumoured to be worth £2.5 million, and we picked him up for nothing, there is more potential profit.

The aim of any business is to make a profit. To that end, the club is doing pretty well in 2014 :thumbsup:

You mention about C-list targets. Out of interest, who were the A- and B-listers?

Baldock, Ward, Grabban in January & Clayton. On top of that if you believe it....Ward of Derby too.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I don't think this thread has gone the way the OP had hoped.

I don't write threads for everyone to agree with me, I don't write them to wind people up, I voice my opinions which is what this board is for isn't it. I'm not here to be mates with people, I have enough mates. We share our thoughts on the club.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If this transfer window ends with us picking up a striker better than those we have and a left back, we'll have had a good window overall.

I fully expect some out of the blue Vicente/Lopez/Orlandi type suprises as well before September 1.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
This.

Same shit all the time from people who, so frenzied by their own rabid fury and impotence, simply haven't bothered to try and understand why they might be wrong.

You put up with what the club do and whatever they do, doesn't mean others will.

Hardy furious mate, it's only football at the end of the day, but do I agree with what the club have done and the mess of the last few months, no I don't.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Baldock, Ward, Grabban in January & Clayton. On top of that if you believe it....Ward of Derby too.

Baldock hasn't moved anywhere, and the window is still open.

Ward is playing in the PL and was never going to come here once a PL team started sniffing around.

Grabban wanted too much money and the club told him to do one (good business move, too - don't pay above the odds for goods/services)

Clayton seemingly was always destined to stay up North and who is to say he was a main target.

I'm ignoring the other Ward due to the "if you believe it" ambiguity.

If, on the say so of those there last night, Tex and Holla are 'C-list' targets, I say the more the merrier (as I alluded to in my original post, but you didn't comment on that bit :lol:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
You put up with what the club do and whatever they do, doesn't mean others will.

More gibberish, entirely proving my point.

There are a thousand posts all over this board explaining why what you've written is idiotic.

(Edit - but of course you are entitled to your opinion x )

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ok ok were a selling club, most sides outside the top 4 in the Premiership are and even they lose their stars on occasion, but what really hacks me off is the fact that we've got 15 million or there abouts in players sold over the last 7 months, we've watched quality players disappear and simply aren't spending hardly any of it, doesn't seem quite right to me to be honest.

Bridcutt and Barnes would have been used to meet our FFP target of £8m losses last season, and half the money raised from Ulloa and Buckley's sales and drop in wage bill, will probably go towards meeting the £3m allowed FFP losses this season.

So to add two seperate seasons sales together is misleading.

I think out of all that cash from sales, we probably have in the region of £3m-£5m available.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Ok ok were a selling club, most sides outside the top 4 in the Premiership are and even they lose their stars on occasion, but what really hacks me off is the fact that we've got 15 million or there abouts in players sold over the last 7 months, we've watched quality players disappear and simply aren't spending hardly any of it, doesn't seem quite right to me to be honest.

Are the club in that deep shi* that we simply cant afford it, did Gus know all along that it was a matter of months until we sold all the stars. If we are now consolidating and calming things down then why not tell us so? If that's the case then simply explain the situation to the fans in a diplomatic way. No the transfer window isn't shut and of course there is still time but realistically can you see us spunking 3-4 mill on a striker because I cant and can you see us bringing in a classy creative winger on 2-3 million because again, I cant!

Personally I think the club have ****ed up bigtime, didn't do the deals early enough, messed about and now are reaping those rewards of not doing things early enough, it's been a right royal **** up and I'm sorry but a couple of free transfers isn't enough.

All we are seeing is free transfers and loans and for a team who have the largest gates outside the premiership, up there with the most expensive season tickets and everything else that goes with it, I think we deserve at least an explanation from the club and not some politician style reply from slime ball Barber saying we are trying.

I think it's fair to say that we are now on our C list targets due to missing out on the main ones....

Am I the only one who thinks it isn't right we sell all the decent players, get in 15 million and replace them with a few loans and free transfers?

Also, new rule applies....if you intend on answering the thread with the words 'Bedwetter or some other boring **** pot answer like go support Chelsea, then save your fingers eh.

Are you Algie in disgiuise? Are you Algie in disguise....?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So last nights result has changed lots of people's opinions, jesus, it's one game!

You made your mind up after just the two previous games though. Using your own time frame, if we win the next game then you'll come on here and tell everyone that we've got a good team, yes?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Nobody is asking for all the budget spent, but you want some quality then you have to pay, quite simple. In my opinion if we think a few free's and loans are the answer then it's going to be a very long season and an away win at Leeds wont change that.

Hope i'm wrong and we bring in lots of free players and it works out great, just cant see it and don't think the clubs policy of ripping the fans off is fair when it comes down to it.

It's not 'changed' peoples opinions. The people that whinge have just shut up because there's nothing left for them to complain about.

Also, for the second time i've highlighted part of your post - again, the two best players last night (and high quality according to those there last night) were...and wait for it...a free transfer and a loan signing? Besides, we wanted a quality keeper, so we spent (apparently) 1m for Stockdale. If we can get decent quality without spending then it's painfully simple to see that's what we'll do. We'll spent what we need, when we need it. Nobody here is delighted that we have started the season 2-3 players short, but we've signed 3 players in 3 days and possibly a 4th today, so things are moving quickly.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
More gibberish, entirely proving my point.

There are a thousand posts all over this board explaining why what you've written is idiotic.

Written by pedantic prats like you, I think i'll give them a miss if it's all the same.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every club is in debt mate, doesn't mean you sell all the stars and replace them with less quality and therefore set yourselves back 2 years plus, that's bad business.

Seven signings so far, with more to come. Who said we have set ourselves two years back? Maybe you should have been at Leeds last night to watch the new signings before writing them off as lacking quality.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
You made your mind up after just the two previous games though. Using your own time frame, if we win the next game then you'll come on here and tell everyone that we've got a good team, yes?

Or I've made my opinion over numerous targets we failed to get and hardly any money pumped back into the team. If you don't have a successful team then where will all the part time fans go then? They will drift away quicker than the prices of the pies went up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here