Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's our new striker then?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I was not there, but if you watch closely in this video the Ref certainly does a little hop over his foot and the press did seem to say he had tripped him.

http://balls.ie/football/ashley-barnes-trips-referee/

The press didn't know what had happened at first because I was looking at Twitter on the coach on the way home. It was only when the ref told the press that we realised it wasn't for swearing. The ref felt something on his heel and made the most of it. Barnes had been moaning at him earlier for all the fouling that Bolton had been doing in the penalty area including an elbow in his ribs. Ulloa was being wrestled to the ground with no sympathy from that ref at all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
lol, Fair enough I will give you that on the basis it's factually correct....So you agree we need a loan at least until CMS is back and up to speed???

Agree totally, but pointless signing an injured one, would you agree too?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Agree totally, but pointless signing an injured one, would you agree too?

Of course I would agree with that. Why are we even looking at a injured striker anyway, we already have two of them. There are players out their we could get on loan or evn players that are out of contract who are still looking for clubs. Fact is we are penny pinching and I think it's going to come back to kick us in the balls.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Quick give the club a call I don't think they have thought about getting a striker on loan yet! :facepalm:

Thought about it? Yes. Done anything about it? No :facepalm: right back at ya' (and the club!)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thought about it? Yes. Done anything about it? No :facepalm: right back at ya' (and the club!)

How do you know they have done nothing about it? Do you know what goes on inside the club or are you just speculating to suit your own whinging agenda?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe how quickly people's expectations move on. Only 5 or so years ago the sole striking backup we had was Joe Gatting, a rather terrible youth team player. Now some posters are demanding that we bring in a player with Championship experience to act as fifth choice striker when we only play one up front.

If we have a glut of injuries/suspensions then I think we have to expect, even before the advent of FFP, that development squad players have to be called upon. Exactly how many spare players are we expected to carry for each position?

Incidentally, if anything were to happen to Barnes before QPR I'd imagine that Stephen Ward would go up front, with Chicksen slotting in at left back.

Totally disagree with this. We are down to one (first-team) striker. This is EXACTLY the situation we should have preempted, planned for, and taken action for.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course I would agree with that. Why are we even looking at a injured striker anyway, we already have two of them. There are players out their we could get on loan or evn players that are out of contract who are still looking for clubs. Fact is we are penny pinching and I think it's going to come back to kick us in the balls.

I agree there are players out there, but are they any GOOD? We play a certain style, it takes time to acclimatise and get match fit. Only sign someone if they improve the squad, or otherwise the ghost of Mark McCammon will come back to haunt us all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lua Lua did well on Sunday, you can not run a team on what ifs. We have a squad of players and as long as Barnes/ Lua Lua are fit, they will be used in that position. I am sure everyone would be very happy to spend out on a lone striker and then not use him, because you worse case scenario does not happen. Lets keep our money and only spend it when we run out of options. I do get fed up with the if we want to challenge for promotion/ playoffs we have to get X or Y. You have to face up to the fact, they we have to live within our means and if that means being just outside of the playoffs, then so be it. We can not spend what we do not have. Until they change FFP, clubs that get parachute payments will always be better off.

I understand what you are saying, but suggest that the rewards for hitting the playoffs, let alone making the promised land, mean that we should invest in a loan striker for 3 months.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I understand what you are saying, but suggest that the rewards for hitting the playoffs, let alone making the promised land, mean that we should invest in a loan striker for 3 months.

A decent striker from a PL club will cost £10,000 a week for 3 months, so a total outlay of £130,000. I've just found 28 pence and a fun size Mars Bar down the back of the sofa, how about you?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If only those who matter at the Albion were trying to do something about this obvious flaw, rather than sitting around watching Cash In The Attic and Escape To The Country all day. Pffft.

LoL! Trying and, apparently, failing...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

If Ulloa or Barnes got injured we would get a striker tomorrow, all Oscar has to do is click his fingers, and as it stands what we save now will give us more to spend in January if we need to spend bigger.

As soon as Orlandi was out Conway came in immediately, and the same would happen for a striker. Apart from anything else we are more likely to get a good striker loaned to us if we do have an injury and we can assure them of playing, which we can't at the moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Certainly!
I disagree that it's "Very poor management" because I, nor you have any real idea how this is being managed.

We've got to guess. We guess based on logic. And my guess is that given their track record, the management team probably aren't sitting around picking their noses and maybe, just maybe it's quite a tough job to get any half decent for a decent price.

You're basically saying that the club need to hurry up. I'd say it's far more complicated than that. We're looking to close a DEAL. It's not the club wandering around the supermarket not being able to choose which toy they want with the money they've got in their pocket.

Thank you for that. My point is that, based on what we (NSC) know, the club have so far failed to act to address an obvious gap.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
This is absolutely spot on.
If Ulloa or Barnes got injured we would get a striker tomorrow, all Oscar has to do is click his fingers, and as it stands what we save now will give us more to spend in January if we need to spend bigger.

As soon as Orlandi was out Conway came in immediately, and the same would happen for a striker. Apart from anything else we are more likely to get a good striker loaned to us if we do have an injury and we can assure them of playing, which we can't at the moment.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I reckon he's lined up and if we need him urgently we'll sign him but if not we'll leave it to stretch the 93 day loan into January.

I have no idea if it was in the pipeline but I was impressed with how quickly Conway arrived after the bad news about Orlandi.

I do actually trust the people in charge of this club to know that they are doing, why wouldn't I when I think back over the last three years?

A sensible post. Trust the people in charge

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I'm with you on this. It could of course bite us in the bum tomorrow if Barnes gets injured or sent off, but come Saturday we would have a new striker. Risk worth taking because, as been said quite a few times, no decent striker is going to come here as a bench warmer. Barnes is good enough to play the lone striker tomorrow and what message would it send him if we got a lone striker in and relegated Barnes to the bench.

If you are someone who thinks Barnes is shit then of course you won't agree, the club obviously believe he is good enough though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What's happened to the aging striker Heiðar Helguson ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here