Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's our new striker then?

I can't believe how quickly people's expectations move on. Only 5 or so years ago the sole striking backup we had was Joe Gatting, a rather terrible youth team player. Now some posters are demanding that we bring in a player with Championship experience to act as fifth choice striker when we only play one up front.

If we have a glut of injuries/suspensions then I think we have to expect, even before the advent of FFP, that development squad players have to be called upon. Exactly how many spare players are we expected to carry for each position?

Incidentally, if anything were to happen to Barnes before QPR I'd imagine that Stephen Ward would go up front, with Chicksen slotting in at left back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do people keep on about Ward playing up front? He played there for Bohemians in Ireland but then played at left midfield when he first came to Wolves and drafted in at left back to cover an injury and has played there ever since. He joined Wolves in 2007 and has played at left back since 2008.

He could probably play the last few minutes up front if we were desperate but not start as a striker, that is of course ignoring his prime value to us as a left back.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I agree re Paynter, not so sure about Vokes nowadays, although he wouldn't be my choice. The point is, if Barnes gets injured or suspended we have nobody who can play the lone striker role well, and that includes Conway.

Lua Lua did well on Sunday, you can not run a team on what ifs. We have a squad of players and as long as Barnes/ Lua Lua are fit, they will be used in that position. I am sure everyone would be very happy to spend out on a lone striker and then not use him, because you worse case scenario does not happen. Lets keep our money and only spend it when we run out of options. I do get fed up with the if we want to challenge for promotion/ playoffs we have to get X or Y. You have to face up to the fact, they we have to live within our means and if that means being just outside of the playoffs, then so be it. We can not spend what we do not have. Until they change FFP, clubs that get parachute payments will always be better off.

Why do people keep on about Ward playing up front? He played there for Bohemians in Ireland but then played at left midfield when he first came to Wolves and drafted in at left back to cover an injury and has played there ever since. He joined Wolves in 2007 and has played at left back since 2008.

He could probably play the last few minutes up front if we were desperate but not start as a striker, that is of course ignoring his prime value to us as a left back.

Fair point - to be honest I'd probably make do with Barker up front. My point was really that I think there has to be some acceptance that we've got a particularly acute injury/suspension crisis up front, and that we can't keep signing players ad infinitum to cover the position, with some kind of makeshift (either a youth player or a senior player out of position) potentially being required.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why do people keep on about Ward playing up front?.

Because he has played there in the premier league and was quite good? I certainly remember him scoring as he was my dream team CATCH of the season.

I don't think ANYONE suggests he should play there. It's just that if we NEEDED a body up there, he can do it quite well.

Is he strong? yep.
Has he played there before? yep.
Is he good on the ball? yep.

Not bad for a final final last last resort....but it shouldn't come to that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Barker will go the same way as Jake Robinson and if an emergency occurred would sooner take a chance for 3 games on Buckley up front or even play with 6 midfielders and each to get forward as a striker if needed and when in position.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because he has played there in the premier league and was quite good? I certainly remember him scoring as he was my dream team CATCH of the season.

I don't think ANYONE suggests he should play there. It's just that if we NEEDED a body up there, he can do it quite well.

Is he strong? yep.
Has he played there before? yep.
Is he good on the ball? yep.

Not bad for a final final last last resort....but it shouldn't come to that.

People are saying if anything happened to Barnes between now and QPR to play him there, isnt that suggesting him start up front? I agree if it happened during a game possibly in the 2nd half but to start with him there a definite no. As I said I would rather start with Buckley up there, if that situation arose.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If Ward can score against Liverpool he could put in a shift against Ipswich. Panic not and the six midfield is a very continental style and could pack it out with quality, Bridders (if fit)/Ince, Andrews, Crofts, Conway, Lopez, Lua Lua. You could dominate just outside their box with that line up. In fact balls to it, i want to see that formation it'd be hysterical!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I reckon he's lined up and if we need him urgently we'll sign him but if not we'll leave it to stretch the 93 day loan into January.

I have no idea if it was in the pipeline but I was impressed with how quickly Conway arrived after the bad news about Orlandi.

I do actually trust the people in charge of this club to know that they are doing, why wouldn't I when I think back over the last three years?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I don't think we should give in to outrageous demands from players/agents who try to get 10-20k per week when they would probably just be a panic buy, look at how Dobbie turned out. Does anyone know what he was on?

Marijuana presumably.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Vicente played up top a few times last season. He was crap.

Get him in :jester:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If only those who matter at the Albion were trying to do something about this obvious flaw, rather than sitting around watching Cash In The Attic and Escape To The Country all day. Pffft.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Are we serious about challenging at the top end of the table again? Are we really going to go into the next 3 games with one fit first-team-ready striker? What if Barnes gets injured or sent off?

Very poor management IMHO; we've known CMS and Hoskins are long-term absentees for many months, and Ash was injured several weeks ago.

The club's management need to get a move on IMHO.

Do you agree?

No, I don't agree

you don't want just any old striker, as we have experienced in the past.
We are not totally devoid of other options, as many different people have mentioned above.
I trust the club management and their judgement.

We could sign Wayne Rooney on loan and still lose to QPR. WEe could play a packed midfield and win, so I would not accept "I told you so" either, whatever happens against QPR.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Suggest you say why you don't, or your post is kinda meaningless IMHO.

Certainly!
I disagree that it's "Very poor management" because I, nor you have any real idea how this is being managed.

We've got to guess. We guess based on logic. And my guess is that given their track record, the management team probably aren't sitting around picking their noses and maybe, just maybe it's quite a tough job to get any half decent for a decent price.

You're basically saying that the club need to hurry up. I'd say it's far more complicated than that. We're looking to close a DEAL. It's not the club wandering around the supermarket not being able to choose which toy they want with the money they've got in their pocket.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You're basically saying that the club need to hurry up. I'd say it's far more complicated than that. We're looking to close a DEAL. It's not the club wandering around the supermarket not being able to choose which toy they want with the money they've got in their pocket.

Indeed. Plus people seem to somehow forget that there is a selling (or in this case, outwardly loaning) club involved who have criteria which need to be met.

Basically we're turning up and saying
Us: "Hi Mr club chairman. We really like your fringe player and would like to know if we could take him on loan"
Them: "Sure, we're keen to see him develop by playing games at your club"
Us: "Oh. no no no. Sorry, let me stop you there. He wont actually play much. It's only if we lose Barnes and, to be fair, Leo is back in 3 games anyway so he's likely to just be on the bench. So, is that a yes?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here