Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where's our new striker then?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Indeed. Plus people seem to somehow forget that there is a selling (or in this case, outwardly loaning) club involved who have criteria which need to be met.

Basically we're turning up and saying
Us: "Hi Mr club chairman. We really like your fringe player and would like to know if we could take him on loan"
Them: "Sure, we're keen to see him develop by playing games at your club"
Us: "Oh. no no no. Sorry, let me stop you there. He wont actually play much. It's only if we lose Barnes and, to be fair, Leo is back in 3 games anyway so he's likely to just be on the bench. So, is that a yes?"

If we're not even bothering to research people's names before calling them I can see why we struggle to get transfers done

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
(stick buckley up front.

sorted )

So far this Season he has looked a bit lacking in confidence. I would rather have Barnes up front in place of Ulloa and Craig Conway on the bench to replace JFC at some point.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
We can also employ different tactics for a game or two and play Buckley, Lua Lua or maybe even David in a sort of false nine role.

I would think you'd need to have a bigger physical presence that KLL or Dave so Buckley / Kemy / Ward to hold and bring in Crofts / KLL / Dave etc...onto the ball. I also think you would have to play a narrower game up top because your not going to get the time or quality a striker gives you so you'd lose a bit of width but its very possible to do. In fact I'd be surprised if this hasn't been practised in training (striker Injury with no striker left on bench) just for formation awareness and 10min familiarisation.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wonder how many teams would like a decent striker? Around 92 I would guess.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We play one striker.
When Barnes wasnt available Ulloa was.
Now Ulloa isnt available but Barnes is.

That is well managed enough tbh.

We will have Barker on the bench to give fresh legs if needed and in his one outing in that role at the end of last season he did well.

We will get Obika as added cover when he is fit and when it suits us to optimise his availability (potentially continuous loans until the end of the season).

Pretty well managed IMO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are we serious about challenging at the top end of the table again? Are we really going to go into the next 3 games with one fit first-team-ready striker? What if Barnes gets injured or sent off?

Very poor management IMHO; we've known CMS and Hoskins are long-term absentees for many months, and Ash was injured several weeks ago.

The club's management need to get a move on IMHO.

Do you agree?

No. I'm not a headless chicken, so rather than panic and sign another Billy Painter or Sam Vokes, I would rather sign no one than a lump. You clearly are in the other camp.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Another thread of malcontent, panic if you will. Thank God the people in charge have a deal more savvy. Wasting half a million or more on a stop gap who may not be any better than we have already means less in the kitty when it comes to buying a useful player later. We have loads of talent, and will be up there at the end...it's feckin September, don't write the season off until at least April if you need to.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Must admit, if I was a QPR defender I'd be mightily tempted to wind Barnes up knowing that if the red mist came down our striker locker is bare!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I love the people that think there isn't a problem with our lack of scoring goals. We have 1, that's ONE player who has scored in the league this season who can play tomorrow night and he is not even a striker!!!!!!!!...No problem, Barnes( no goals in the league yet) is the answer, as we only play one up front anyway, sorted.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Must admit, if I was a QPR defender I'd be mightily tempted to wind Barnes up knowing that if the red mist came down our striker locker is bare!!

Mind you, I'm sure 'array wouldn't allow his defenders to stoop to such lowbrow tactics!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I love the people that think there isn't a problem with our lack of scoring goals. We have 1, that's ONE player who has scored in the league this season who can play tomorrow night and he is not even a striker!!!!!!!!...No problem, Barnes( no goals in the league yet) is the answer, as we only play one up front anyway, sorted.

My dolly aunt, you are absolutely right. How did i not see this. I am best off not thinking that Bloom, Burke, Garcia, Jones, an army of analysts, scouts, senior players and agents know what they are doing. Probably better for everyone if we all remain eternally pessimistic.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Are we serious about challenging at the top end of the table again? Are we really going to go into the next 3 games with one fit first-team-ready striker? What if Barnes gets injured or sent off?

Very poor management IMHO; we've known CMS and Hoskins are long-term absentees for many months, and Ash was injured several weeks ago.

The club's management need to get a move on IMHO.

Do you agree?

"Assistant manager Nathan Jones has backed Ashley Barnes to make his mark during Leonardo Ulloa’s suspension.

Albion’s Argentinean top scorer starts a three-match ban after his dismissal at Reading on Sunday, but Jones believes the Seagulls' number nine can be a perfect replacement.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "We have been without Ash for a little bit due to injury but now he comes in, and we are looking for a big performance from him because we believe in him.

“He trains well, he trains hard, and although we haven’t decided on our team yet, he is in the same mould as Leo so he fits the bill
."

Nathan Jones or B.W.? Nathan Jones or B.W.?

No f*****g contest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Just thinking of your hysteria regarding Osasuna's request to talk to Oscar.

That's how seriously your posts are taken.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
"Assistant manager Nathan Jones has backed Ashley Barnes to make his mark during Leonardo Ulloa’s suspension.

Albion’s Argentinean top scorer starts a three-match ban after his dismissal at Reading on Sunday, but Jones believes the Seagulls' number nine can be a perfect replacement.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "We have been without Ash for a little bit due to injury but now he comes in, and we are looking for a big performance from him because we believe in him.

“He trains well, he trains hard, and although we haven’t decided on our team yet, he is in the same mould as Leo so he fits the bill
."

Nathan Jones or B.W.? Nathan Jones or B.W.?

No f*****g contest.

All good points, but lets hope Barnes don't get an early injury or see's the red mist he is prone to seeing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

All good points, but lets hope Barnes don't get an early injury or see's the red mist he is prone to seeing.

Why does no-one mention the red mist with Greer? He's had the same number of red cards as Barnes in the three years since he's been here. I know Ashley had 2 in one season but he isn't a prolific offender.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

........and inescapably the correct answer.
We set up with one striker and the expectation that midfielders and defenders will hit the target.
If you want a change in our style of play that is an entirely different argument with different implications for the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here