Where does " The North" start

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

BAL-HAM gateway to the south

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Anyone who has "enjoyed" that smug, patronising book Pies And Prejudice will know that apparently it begins at Crewe going North West and Sheffield going north/north east.

I thought it was a well balanced book - he has huge chips on both shoulders and he certainly has problems about being Middle Class.

Most of the book is your standard Soft Left Class Warfare Observations and could apply to anywhere in the UK

Having said that I think the Crewe/Sheffield Lay Line is not a bad guide (being a Northern Monkey myself - born in Nantwich Cheshire).

Even after 20 years down here still think you are all Soft Southern Shandy Drinkers! :thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was asked this question and said 'Chesterfield'. Don't know why, but I'd stick to it.

My son's girlfriend is from Chesterfield, and she considers it part of the East Midlands.

Sheffield, just up the road, is however considered as Northern.

- - - Updated - - -

I was asked this question and said 'Chesterfield'. Don't know why, but I'd stick to it.

My son's girlfriend is from Chesterfield, and she considers I part of the East Midlands.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
My son's girlfriend is from Chesterfield, and she considers I part of the East Midlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Just outside the Northern tip of Chesterfield, then. :lolol:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
As someone who now lives in "The North" (of Wales) I can say I consider I have reached "The South" when I reach the M25 and my previously trouble free journey suddenly grinds to a halt. It reminds me why I left in the first place.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I live a couple of miles north of Watford Gap in Northants - and it doesn't feel particularly north or south. In fact it's bloody handy for pretty much everywhere.

I'd agree with one or two others who have offered Nottingham/Derby as the last outpost before the north kicks in.

Or Stoke if you go up the M6 - but I wouldn't wish Stoke on anyone.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I've lived in Nottingham for a few years and urs proudly midlands.
Sheffield up t'road is North about an hour away up the m1.
They all have funny accents. And there is no poets corner here.

Somewhere around Mansfield is my guess

I live in Warwick and we are very much midlands but I travel a fair bit and have a few rules with geography. I don't think these are far wrong.

Going down the m5 it becomes the West Country when you reach Gloucester.

Going up the m6 becomes north after stoke (Crewe and Nantwich)

Going up the m1 it becomes north after Derby so I would class Mansfield as north (although in notts)

Going down the m40 when I hit Bicester I class as south

M1 south of Milton Keynes is the south.

Going it becomes the east when you go past Kettering on the a14 - this bit is best avoided.

Other than that I grew up in south Devon so actually reaching dartmoor is the north.

Went to uni in Nottingham so I say anything North of Nottingham as that's central

My son's girlfriend is from Chesterfield, and she considers it part of the East Midlands.

- - - Updated - - -

all of these places are up north. Midlands doesnt exsist.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The 'true' north starts wherever it is they first receive the rugby league show, something on TV I was completed unaware of before I moved oop north.

I would class Mansfield as north (although in notts)
Somewhere around Mansfield is my guess
I have to agree, and not only because the place is as far north as Crewe. I used to think of Mansfield as just another Midlands town, but on my first visit is was apparent that the accent was northern (in fact it's quite similar to Doncaster's). On moving here, I noticed the proliferation of northern traits such as pigeon racing and heavy drinking ('soft southerner' was the usual comment as I struggled with my sixth pint of an evening). Also you would see whippets and retired greyhounds being walked (although I never saw any being raced). Sutton and Kirkby-in-Ashfield have much the same culture and accent, but you have to accept that Nottingham is a Midland city. So, probably somewhere between Junctions 26 and 27 of the M1 then.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Anywhere where, in an Indian Restaurant, you order Chicken Dhansak and they put a pineapple ring in it. Very common up here but never seen it in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports