Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does " The North" start

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
For me anywhere past the downs is up north but THE North is anything North and West of a line that runs roughly from Norwich to Gloucester

I've never understood the concept of "the north". I recognise "the north east" and "the north west", but am baffled when I come across people who imagine that Merseyside is the same as Tyneside.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Crawley is on the borderlands. Anything North of the county boundary, really :lolol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It starts wherever the word 'supper' first means 'with chips'

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
About 5 years ago we were driving up to visit someone who lives near Durham, and were amused to see signs aroundf Leeds on the motorway to "The North". Where is Leeds if it isn't in the North, so shouldn't it be "even further North. But nottingham is Midlands and Leeds isn't actually that much further north. So does the North start on the yorkshire Border? on that side of the country at least?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So does the North start on the yorkshire Border? on that side of the country at least?

Technically, yes. But there is a sizeable part of Derbyshire* that is further north than Sheffield and Manchester but Derbyshire is in the East Midlands... I've never felt like a 'midlander' but technically I am.

*Nobody actually lives in that part of Derbyshire, it's just hills and stuff,

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dyke road flyover

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arundel.

It's sad that we no longer play Plymouth Argyle, Exeter City or Torquay United. I miss the away fans responding to an Adam El-Abd tackle with a chant of "Dirty Northern Bastard".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here