Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does " The North" start

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Draw a line from the north Wales coast across the country, above that line is north. Draw a line between Cardigan and Ipswich, above that is midlands, below it is south.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone who has "enjoyed" that smug, patronising book Pies And Prejudice will know that apparently it begins at Crewe going North West and Sheffield going north/north east.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I live in Warwick and we are very much midlands but I travel a fair bit and have a few rules with geography. I don't think these are far wrong.

Going down the m5 it becomes the West Country when you reach Gloucester.

Going up the m6 becomes north after stoke (Crewe and Nantwich)

Going up the m1 it becomes north after Derby so I would class Mansfield as north (although in notts)

Going down the m40 when I hit Bicester I class as south

M1 south of Milton Keynes is the south.

Going it becomes the east when you go past Kettering on the a14 - this bit is best avoided.

Other than that I grew up in south Devon so actually reaching dartmoor is the north.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
plylons on the M23

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
If the north begins at Crawley, where are the Midlands ? It is a strange concept - in Staffordshire you're in the Midlands, but Cheshire in the north. Same with North Lincolnshire and Humberside. I get the BBC South sports coverage, and I find it really odd that they talk about the league clubs in their "region" - which are Portsmouth, Southampton, Oxford, Swindon and ...... the bloody MK Dons. Bizarre. Brighton don't get coverage on BBC South however.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Old Shoreham Road is the border.

- - - Updated - - -

Old Shoreham Road is the border.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here