Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
those bl***dy mini-ice skating rinks which seem to
pop up everywhere in towns and cities and charge an arm
and a leg to get on.

Melt the whole lot of them I say

Good call. If only "melting" them would solve the problem. Half of them are like plastic bread boards. Utter turd. :shit:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One year about a decade or so ago I eschewed Christmas completely. Didn't even view it as "I'm going to avoid it" I just spent the day in my gaff with a few films and normal food, went out for a walk, just got on with my day. Didn't even notice. One of the best "Christmas" days I've had.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like it, bar the creep into November. December 1st seems to be the sensible kick-off of all things WINTERVAL.

The only bit I dislike, is the stress of present buying. And I don't mean the actual going buying stuff - that's fine. Don't even mind the crowds. Quite enjoy a cold twinkly Christmassy mooch around Winchester or wherever. I mean the stress of trying to think of WHAT to buy, for people who really don't NEED anything.

My other dislike is the start of the SALES. I wish these still started in the New Year, so that people were not all geared up to dashing back into town centres, within 24 hours of the Queen's speech, fighting over a shit tank top in Next, and killing any festive spirit they had in them.

Oh, and Nibble's posts in this thread have made me a little melancholy. I'm sad that he is sad.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like it, bar the creep into November. December 1st seems to be the sensible kick-off of all things WINTERVAL.

The only bit I dislike, is the stress of present buying. And I don't mean the actual going buying stuff - that's fine. Don't even mind the crowds. Quite enjoy a cold twinkly Christmassy mooch around Winchester or wherever. I mean the stress of trying to think of WHAT to buy, for people who really don't NEED anything.

My other dislike is the start of the SALES. I wish these still started in the New Year, so that people were not all geared up to dashing back into town centres, within 24 hours of the Queen's speech, fighting over a shit tank top in Next, and killing any festive spirit they had in them.

Oh, and Nibble's posts in this thread have made me a little melancholy. I'm sad that he is sad.

Sorry chap, didn't mean to bring you down! I've just spent too much time working over last couple of years and Christmas reminds me of things i have let slide. If it's any consolation I do look forward to getting a Christmas slice from Greggs. I'm sure I'll enjoy the day, food, family etc. Merry Christmas one and all!

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Agree with all this. November other than Guy Fawkes is a nightmare for me, my Mum died on the 24th and my bro went down with pancreatic cancer in this month 4 years ago.

To top it all saw my first fatal RTA on Wednesday, a LOL splattered over the A259 at Bishopstone with her Xmas shopping. It sems she got the wrong 12 bus at Denton Corner and was crossing hurriedly to get the bus back to her home in Telscombe. Never stood a chance.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Although I agree that it starts too early these days and it's too commercial, I do think that without Christmas to break it up, that long slog from the clocks going back to the first vestiges of spring would be more depressing than it already is.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
People that moan about Xmas when they are getting 3 public holidays over about a week. Lots of people get about a week off. It's great.

D

Deleted member 22389

Moving to Japan allowed me to get a bit of "Christmas perspective" on a few aspects of the whole thing that, if you sit and think about them, are quite staggering.

The main thing is kids and how we spoil them. Over here most Japanese kids get ONE present from "Santa-san" in the morning. That's it. Outside of the one present for the kids you will also find young couples and maybe newly weds giving each other a single present. Nothing more.

When I was at my sister's last Chrimbo oh my god. My nephew's a lovely lad but the amount of presents he got was staggering. First of all, British kids aren't just expecting a present from Santa in the morning, no, they're waiting on a whole sackful. Then, the relatives come round. He get's a present each from every Uncle, Auntie, Grandparent, in-law and basically anyone who has a reason to visit us on Christmas Day. Off the top of my head he must have got at least THIRTY presents and we don't even have that big a family.

It's quite funny how over here the economy-nazis shove Christmas in our face with the lights and the music just like they do back home. The Halloween decorations come down on Nov 1st and the Chrimbo lights go straight up in their place. The locals enjoy the lights and the music but at the end of the day they aren't having any of it and I kind of respect them for that. I'm sure the Japanese economists are positively SEETHING with jealousy at the way Christmas encourages the ridiulously large amounts of excess spending that it does back in the west.

It's quite an astounding state of affairs that nobody seems to question for risk of being labeled a "Scrooge".

The pressure of buying presents. The pressure it puts people under who cannot afford it, in the end it makes you wonder what xmas is honestly about. I like the format you talk about.

Doesn't effect me this year, because I am not buying anything this year. I simply cannot afford it and I'm not going to go overdrawn becuase of it. January is tough enough. If people don't like it, tough.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Another thing I hate is going to our department's xmas bash and realising
that you have nothing new or interesting to talk about at that point to the
majority of people in your office than you did in the rest of the year. Even
alcohol-fuelled.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Worried, El Pres. Do you prefer redheads? Should be a few up in Manchester.

Has to be said not many natural blondes up here in Manchester, although given the local ladies preferred form of decolletage to be hairless it is often difficult to be certain.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Moving to Japan allowed me to get a bit of "Christmas perspective" on a few aspects of the whole thing that, if you sit and think about them, are quite staggering.

The main thing is kids and how we spoil them. Over here most Japanese kids get ONE present from "Santa-san" in the morning. That's it. Outside of the one present for the kids you will also find young couples and maybe newly weds giving each other a single present. Nothing more.

When I was at my sister's last Chrimbo oh my god. My nephew's a lovely lad but the amount of presents he got was staggering. First of all, British kids aren't just expecting a present from Santa in the morning, no, they're waiting on a whole sackful. Then, the relatives come round. He get's a present each from every Uncle, Auntie, Grandparent, in-law and basically anyone who has a reason to visit us on Christmas Day. Off the top of my head he must have got at least THIRTY presents and we don't even have that big a family.

It's quite funny how over here the economy-nazis shove Christmas in our face with the lights and the music just like they do back home. The Halloween decorations come down on Nov 1st and the Chrimbo lights go straight up in their place. The locals enjoy the lights and the music but at the end of the day they aren't having any of it and I kind of respect them for that. I'm sure the Japanese economists are positively SEETHING with jealousy at the way Christmas encourages the ridiulously large amounts of excess spending that it does back in the west.

It's quite an astounding state of affairs that nobody seems to question for risk of being labeled a "Scrooge".

I think that Japanese economists are wringing their hands with glee as they fill container ships full of new X boxes and Playstations What next, Tealight manufacturers moaning about Diwali ?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
- Christmas songs
- Telly schedules messed around.
- Southern Trains shutting down at 2100 on Xmas Eve, so going anyway decent is a non starter.
- Being lectured about "Christmas is for families", when I want to do my own thing.
- Pubs shut Christmas night . Sometimes Christmas Day can feel like the worst shittiest Sunday.

Am I going on too much?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports