Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats more important to you Result or entertainment

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No contest results, especially in our present situation, give me another 17 x boring 1-0 wins from now and I will be in 7th heaven but 8 x4-0 wins and 9 defeats 4-3 will make me very disappointed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know the British are renowned for supporting the underdog, but you seem to be a lone voice who was probably watching a completely different game. There was NOTHING in the second half to suggest that we would concede, I can not recall any scary moments when I felt uneasy about the result. We where no reduced to hoofing it up field there were a number of fast counter attacking moves which with a better final ball would have resulted in more goals.

If you want to moan when we win 3-0 by all means do, but I suggest you go to the entertainment or result thread and post your views for all out attacking regardless of how many goals we leak and matches we lose.

Sorry mate, see what you want to see, but truth is we sat back and invited the opposition to score in the second half. If they were any good, or even if they were lucky, they would have done and woulg have put us under the panuc-stricken kosh for an equaliser. It was more than a bit rubbish all second half to keep hoofing the the ball upfield in the general direction of sickly kid Wilson. How far will THAT take you forward as a club if you don't happen to be 2-0 up at the time?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe but Hughton has seemingly coped tactics wise with a hefty number of games we've held on to win this season despite conceding and going to 1-1 or 2-1 so SOMETHING to hold onto at least. Of course we *should* have lost 3-2 obviously and it was mere luck that we managed to scrape it 3-0 as you say. .

Easy to be wise after the event obviously, but would have been a seriously different turn of events if we'd conceded earlydoors second half. Our defence remains seriously flakey to any kind of direct attack. Has been all season. Luccky for us not many sides tend to go down that direct route.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Easy to be wise after the event obviously, but would have been a seriously different turn of events if we'd conceded earlydoors second half. Our defence remains seriously flakey to any kind of direct attack. Has been all season. Luccky for us not many sides tend to go down that direct route.

Whenever we've scored a goal this season, we've not lost a game.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry mate, see what you want to see, but truth is we sat back and invited the opposition to score in the second half. If they were any good, or even if they were lucky, they would have done and woulg have put us under the panuc-stricken kosh for an equaliser. It was more than a bit rubbish all second half to keep hoofing the the ball upfield in the general direction of sickly kid Wilson. How far will THAT take you forward as a club if you don't happen to be 2-0 up at the time?

But they didn't and we won, so the manager got it spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Glad I am not the only person who saw them have the chance to score and at 2 -1 would have piled on more pressure. The
fact that we could have but didnt score more was immaterial until Murphy sealed the points for us.

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
You've got BG with you but nobody else.

Hughton got it spot on. Most around me agreed that at the time, not just in hindsight. Win 3-0 with 35% possession, not different to many of Leicester 's games this year. Possession is so 2012.

In answer to the OP, I am entertained by us winning. Early in the season I value PERFORMANCE (rather than entertainment) also but never as much as winning. This is becauee it's an indicator of future results. The later in the season the more vital results are.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not really. He got away with it. Could just as easily have blown it in the second half and there'd be a full blown lynch mob formied on here. Same as it ever was.

We may have sat back, mainly because they had 5 in midfield against our 4.

However we were never in real danger of conceding. The worst spell was around the 70 minute mark when they had a sustained period of pressure, which was due to Kayals injury, but as soon as he was replaced by Crofts, we were once again quite comfortable.

I think the players were releved to be able to relax mid game for the first time all season, and just play on the counter with a 2 goal advantage.

Edit: Sidwell replaced Kayal

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You've got BG with you but nobody else. Hughton got it spot on. Most around me agreed that at the time, not just in hindsight. Win 3-0 with 35% possession, not different to many of Leicester 's games this year. Possession is so 2012..

REALLY? Hughton got it 'spot on' PURELY down to hindsight. We were SHITE second half, reduced to hoofing it in the general direction of the pale sickly kid up front. Good luck with that as a promotion game plan then :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
REALLY? Hughton got it 'spot on' PURELY down to hindsight. We were SHITE second half, reduced to hoofing it in the general direction of the pale sickly kid up front. Good luck with that as a promotion game plan then :thumbsup:
Brentford were the 'SHITE' team 2nd half. Very, very poor, Stockdale had virtually nothing to do.

We missed 3 or 4 chances in the 2nd half alone. On another day it would have been a 6 or 7 goal margin to us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really. He got away with it. Could just as easily have blown it in the second half and there'd be a full blown lynch mob formied on here. Same as it ever was.

The full 90 minutes is on Player so I watched it again, listening to the Sky commentary. They thought that Brighton were in complete control of the game, and that Brentford didn't look like getting back into it. Brentford only had one shot on target (which was the great save from Stockdale in the first half) Brighton frustrated Brentford so much, they couldn't get shots away.
There was no 'getting away with it'.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I'd stop digging if I were you fella. You're on your own here.

PG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The full 90 minutes is on Player so I watched it again, listening to the Sky commentary. They thought that Brighton were in complete control of the game, and that Brentford didn't look like getting back into it. Brentford only had one shot on target (which was the great save from Stockdale in the first half) Brighton frustrated Brentford so much, they couldn't get shots away.
There was not 'getting away with it'.

Behave! You saw the second half same as I did. No way were we 'in complete control of the game'. Second half comprised mainly of not very good hoofs to the sickly youth up front.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
There was nothing gormless about sitting back the way that we did.
Brentford have scored 23 goals away from home this season, so they 'were any cop' as you phrase it. Sometimes, Mr Hark, you don't give Brighton enough credit for being good. We restricted them to just one shot on target (and that was in the first half).

In defence of Mr Hark we have lived dangerously all season just look at how games have gone this season and the times we have sat back and lost a lead, that was the first time we have won by 3 clear goals since 2014. Ok we are 4th and I would say we were brilliant in the first half on Friday but in the 2nd half we did our usual and invited them on, if we were to make the premiership and adopted that style of play we would get all we deserved.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Seems like I was the only person who thought we were more than a bit shite second half then and could WAY too easily have blown it . Oh well, Nevermind. NSC hivemind must be right :shrug:

Your not the only person that thought we were poor 2nd half look at our stats all season giving leads away there is a stack of them!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Behave! You saw the second half same as I did. No way were we 'in complete control of the game'. Second half comprised mainly of not very good hoofs to the sickly youth up front.

I disagree but lets just say you were correct and that was the way Albion played 2nd half. The players who came on made our intentions clear. We are no longer on the offensive now come and break us down. And in doing that, even without our more offensive players on the pitch we still created quite a lot of openings. Thats not so bad when your not even going out and attacking them

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In defence of Mr Hark .

You can not defend Mr Hark as he doesn't like sitting back and controlling the game. If you choose to defend him, you will surely let a comment past you which will see a flood of other comments going past you and before long you will have lost the argument and have no way of coming back with a retort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here