Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats more important to you Result or entertainment

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Before the kick off I hope to be entertained, regardless of the result.

But after the final whistle I'm happy to get the result, regardless of the entertainment.

As long as I get one or the other for most matches, I'm happy to keep renewing my season ticket.

This seems more logical to me.

Playing Devil's advocate for a moment.

For all those that claim it's only the result that counts, why do you pay your hard earned money to watch 90+ of action BEFORE the points are finally awarded?
If it truly was only about the result and there was no entertainment on offer, can't help thinking not many would turn up to watch.

Any event with a paying audience MUST be expecting to provide entertainment first and foremost, shirley?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Entertainment.

Players are like performers. They are paid top money as they are the talents in their field. I pay money to watch a film which goes to actors wages. For that, I want to be entertained.

I pay my ticket price which goes into the wages to pay the footballers (the actors in this scenario). Entertainment is expected.

Now, a 90minute match is a REA LIFE soap opera. When I say I want entertainment I don't mean just FLAIR, FLICKS AND WONDER GOALS. I mean, I want 90 mins that I felt was worth my money. Whether that is all the flicks, or is the drama of a team defending to the bitter end and trying to sneak a win despite everything being against them.

That's one view, anyway.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Any event with a paying audience MUST be expecting to provide entertainment first and foremost, shirley?

Sports are different. If it's the theatre, or comedy then sure entertainment is the prime factor. Not something like a sport where the outcome is a variable.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
This seems more logical to me.

Playing Devil's advocate for a moment.

For all those that claim it's only the result that counts, why do you pay your hard earned money to watch 90+ of action BEFORE the points are finally awarded?
If it truly was only about the result and there was no entertainment on offer, can't help thinking not many would turn up to watch.

There are football fans that would put results first whilst demanding high entertainment too. They might be entertained by sharp counter-attack, controlled concession of possession to certain areas and pragmatic 'match building'.
Doesn't say anywhere that entertaining means end-to-end 8 - 7 thriller.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you support a club then it's the result every time. If you aren't worried about the result and want to be entertained then go to a neutral match.

To be fair, I took the same view when I was young and up to around the time we moved to the Amex. Nowadays, of course the result is important, but I like to be entertained for my penny. I suppose I take the same view as " am I desparate to get to the premiership". No, I am not. I support the team whereever we are as I have done for many years now.

If the result goes against us, I do tend to get annoyed however half an hour later, you move on. If the performance is crap, I tend to dwell on it, and if it was a brilliant entertaining game, like Friday first half, I am still talking about it a week later.

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
I'm saying he was lucky to get away with it on Friday. Easy to use the benefit of hindsight and massage it into something it wasn't, but if Brentford had scored earlydoors second half, there's be a whole different set of threads criticising, if not crucifying, the manager for sitting back on a two goal lead. FACT.

Ok - fair point. If. But then what abou the games where all the ifs and could haves that didn't go in our favour led to countless scathing threads about previous managers, this manager .......

I just feel that we miss the point about sport and game situations ....hindsight and alternatives are per and parcel of the game - hughton has his approach and I think he did the right thing on Friday. He's there to deliver results and against a side who've scored more goals away from home than any other side in the league , removing their ability to counter attack and instead have to break down two banks of four (or one of five) was by far the more pragmatic way to go.

I can only imagine what would have happened on here should we have been hit twice on the break and only walked away with a point.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully both but the result is more important.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Before the kick off I hope to be entertained, regardless of the result.

But after the final whistle I'm happy to get the result, regardless of the entertainment.

As long as I get one or the other for most matches, I'm happy to keep renewing my season ticket.
I think that is my view. Out of 3 of home defeats . I was always cheesed of with result but In 2 of them I felt after going behind we gave it everything and were unlucky. In third game we were outplayed. It made defeats easier to accept when I thought each game was entertaining. Unlike last year when so often we never looked liked scoring

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you support a club then it's the result every time. If you aren't worried about the result and want to be entertained then go to a neutral match.

DS - You should pop on to the Norwich City forums. The hated CH so much due to the fact he played quite cautious football but in my opinion not overly so. It was apparently not in the style of Paul Lambert before him.

The screamed to be entertained. Now they are entertained and their Manager plays attacking football but the back of their own net has bulged 48 times in 25 games played so far. And 18 times in the last 6 games alone

They screamed to be entertained. They got it. Are they happy............I think NOT

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm saying he was lucky to get away with it on Friday. Easy to use the benefit of hindsight and massage it into something it wasn't, but if Brentford had scored earlydoors second half, there's be a whole different set of threads criticising, if not crucifying, the manager for sitting back on a two goal lead. FACT.

Of course I'm sure they would have but it could just as well have gone to 2-1 and Hughton would have no doubt tweaked it again, Crofts/Sidwell might not have been his 2 remaining subs and the threads could have been about how we kicked on second half despite conceding early.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because we gormlessly sat back in the second half and invited Brentford to score. If they'd been any cop, they would have done so. It would then have been Albion panic stations, and we'd have been lucky to cling on to a 2-2. Try watching what you're seeing. Albion second half was in the main pathetic aimless hoofball to the sickly kid up front.

Isn't there a team in the division above us doing rather well that rely on fast counter attacks whilst absorbing pressure from the opposition?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course I'm sure they would have but it could just as well have gone to 2-1 and Hughton would have no doubt tweaked it again, Crofts/Sidwell might not have been his 2 remaining subs and the threads could have been about how we kicked on second half despite conceding early.

There was NOTHING in that second half that suggested if we'd conceded a first, we wouldn't have conceded a second. We can all argue about it forevermore but in the end we were reduced to hoofing it hopefully/pathetically to the single sickly boy up front. Just won't do in the grand scheme of things, even if we did win 3-0 on the night.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just to put another view than the popular view here.

Mike Baily achieved the highest position ever in the history of the club, but because the style of play was not seen as entertaining enough, and attendances were dropping he was given the boot shortly afterwards.

I don't think Barcelona would have adopted the same tactics 2nd half, and I doubt their fans would have liked it.

With the sky cameras at the game, there was an opportunity to win a game 4-0 5-0 and show Brighton really mean business to their promotion rivals.

However, I was pleased with the result and could understand the safety first approach in the 2nd half.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There was NOTHING in that second half that suggested if we'd conceded a first, we wouldn't have conceded a second. We can all argue about it forevermore but in the end we were reduced to hoofing it hopefully/pathetically to the single sickly boy up front. Just won't do in the grand scheme of things, even if we did win 3-0 on the night.

I know the British are renowned for supporting the underdog, but you seem to be a lone voice who was probably watching a completely different game. There was NOTHING in the second half to suggest that we would concede, I can not recall any scary moments when I felt uneasy about the result. We where no reduced to hoofing it up field there were a number of fast counter attacking moves which with a better final ball would have resulted in more goals.

If you want to moan when we win 3-0 by all means do, but I suggest you go to the entertainment or result thread and post your views for all out attacking regardless of how many goals we leak and matches we lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the entirety of last season has a lot to answer for here.

Obviously the answer can only be 'results'.

But all of last season was so dull, lifeless, and just plain bad, that it would have been improved by losing 4-3.
From then on, for me, entertainment has to play it's part for the time being, I need to be cleansed!
It would have been a struggle to move on from then to "1-0 to the Albion".

Fortunately that's not been the case, this season has largely been fantastically entertaining, with the added bonus of points too.

Oh and clearly Pre and Post AMEX Albion are two very different beasts with different levels of expectation.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Maybe but Hughton has seemingly coped tactics wise with a hefty number of games we've held on to win this season despite conceding and going to 1-1 or 2-1 so SOMETHING to hold onto at least. Of course we *should* have lost 3-2 obviously and it was mere luck that we managed to scrape it 3-0 as you say. .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just to put another view than the popular view here.

Mike Baily achieved the highest position ever in the history of the club, but because the style of play was not seen as entertaining enough, and attendances were dropping he was given the boot shortly afterwards.

He was only sacked mid way through the following season when basically he was instructed to play entertaining football and the results didn't come. In fact you can probably trace our fall down the leagues to the discussion between Mike Bamber and the manager when he was instructed to play entertainining football. A few more seasons getting results and we would have been have been a consistent performing division one team with little fear of relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here