Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats more important to you Result or entertainment

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not result every time for me, it depends on the season. If we're destined to finish mid-table, I'd like to just enjoy the game and how we play it. If we're fighting relegation, or on a promotion charge, the result becomes more important.

On Friday, the result was the most important, and I left very happy.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Winning. It's not about turning up and losing. It's the same as people who go on TV and lose on game shows, but say "The important thing is that i've had a really good time".

It isn't.

We could send Cliff Richard, he would have a great time.

Jan 30, 2008
winning. It's not about turning up and losing. It's the same as people who go on tv and lose on game shows, but say "the important thing is that i've had a really good time".

It isn't.

We could send cliff richard, he would have a great time.

he's otherwise engaged at the moment :whistle:
regards
DR

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sorry. Mr Bolt, but we got away with it in the second half (and to a certain extent in the first half) due to Brentford's lack of luck. Our defence is still full of holes that any half-decent side could exploit .3-0 flattered us. Little point in avoiding trying to be at least a wee bit objective about these things.
Mr Grumpy.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Entertainment for me, thats the whole point of football to enjoy it and be entertained

Could i turn up and watch anti football like West Brom fans are currently moaning about.... for a short period maybe...everyone would soon get bored of it though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry. Mr Bolt, but we got away with it in the second half (and to a certain extent in the first half) due to Brentford's lack of luck. Our defence is still full of holes that any half-decent side could exploit .3-0 flattered us. Little point in avoiding trying to be at least a wee bit objective about these things.

Nonsense, we were not in danger of conceding, and could have added another couple of goals to our tally with our counter attacks.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RESULT EVERY TIME
we have time to play nice football when we get there and stay for at least two seasons

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought until Saturday I was in latter camp and even if we lost, although disappointed as long as I was entertained I went home contented. I think this division is very good standard and in general good opposition players to watch as well.
Hovever on Saturday once we were 2.0 up, Brighton were very poor, I strangely found myself accepting the tactic of 100% protecting our lead.
I now realise that first half of season I want to be entertained and if later in season, like now, challenging for play offs etc, the result is be-and end-all

Exactly. Early in season - entertainment. Later in season - results.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They're not mutually exclusive you know.. Poyet's 2012–13 season, when he guided us to 4th. That was incredible. Total entertainment and consistent results.

Yes it was. Some would say we weren't consistent enough though, automatic promotion was there for the taking, we fell away a little towards the end, and the play-offs it had to be, and then of course, the wheels really came off.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Exactly. Early in season - entertainment. Later in season - results.

Eearly in the season, or later in the season, it's results, results, results for me. As I said in an earlier post, winning whilst playing entertaining football would be brilliant, but only as a bonus.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm still at a loss as to why people believe we were poor second half on Friday. I thought it was classic counter attacking football. With the pace and directness of Wilson and Knockaert it was clearly the right thing to do. We didn't need to chase the game or make the running, simply pick them off which we did affectively. We could have scored more on the break and they didn't look like scoring at all. All it cost us was a little possession.

Manure and Alex Ferguson won countless games and trophies off the back of counter attacking football. To me, its another string to our bow.

And in answer to your question... RESULTS!

Exactly this. I thought we saw the 2nd half out near on perfectly. There was one point I thought we were sitting a little deep but we still looked the most likely to score despite giving them more possession... You just can't please some people!

and of course, it's all about the result for BHAFC - ludicrous question imo!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Before the kick off I hope to be entertained, regardless of the result.

But after the final whistle I'm happy to get the result, regardless of the entertainment.

As long as I get one or the other for most matches, I'm happy to keep renewing my season ticket.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You actually think hughton is gormless?? You actually believe that it was not the most sensible , well - executed ganeplan given the situation?

I'm saying he was lucky to get away with it on Friday. Easy to use the benefit of hindsight and massage it into something it wasn't, but if Brentford had scored earlydoors second half, there's be a whole different set of threads criticising, if not crucifying, the manager for sitting back on a two goal lead. FACT.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you only want entertainment, then I would suggest supporting a team in a sport where there is no relegation, so that you can go home happy each week having been entertained despite losing every game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm saying he was lucky to get away with it on Friday. Easy to use the benefit of hindsight and massage it into something it wasn't, but if Brentford had scored earlydoors second half, there's be a whole different set of threads criticising, if not crucifying, the manager for sitting back on a two goal lead. FACT.

The word you should have capitalised is the word 'if' - incredibly important word. Yes, IF it had happened then there would have been some potential cause for worry or concern. the "fact" is there wasn't.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Result, every time shirley, unless you're terminally prone to happy-clappyness in which case you'll probably go away from the game feeling good about yourself because you've twirled your scarf to the pre-KO muppet show and applauded the away fans towards the end.
We are in total agreement , cap duly doffed !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Lucky! how many saves did Stockdale make in the second half.

Conversely if we had scored early second half on one of our many counter attacks we could have gone onto to win 4 or 5 - 0.

Did not the Brentford manager comment on our togetherness and shape while defending. It should not be overlooked that defending is a skill which can be appreciated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The word you should have capitalised is the word 'if' - incredibly important word. Yes, IF it had happened then there would have been some potential cause for worry or concern. the "fact" is there wasn't.
This. The FACT is we went 2 up, and controlled the game throughout the second half, looking to hit them on the break as they tried to press forward. They had a lot of possession, but every time they tried to get forward we took the ball off them, mostly in our cleverly strengthened midfield and always looked like getting another goal. I loved it. Result and entertainment, without having to worry about chucking points away.

el punal

It's not result every time for me, it depends on the season. If we're destined to finish mid-table, I'd like to just enjoy the game and how we play it. If we're fighting relegation, or on a promotion charge, the result becomes more important.

On Friday, the result was the most important, and I left very happy.

Echoes my thoughts completely. If we were to lose six consecutive games 4-3 and play exciting, non-stop attacking football, the only people that would be happy would be opposition fans and neutrals. I, on the other hand, would be seriously and utterly pissed off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here