Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Year did you starting watching and supporting the Albion ? If you can remember.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
1995 for me, aged 15, wasn't interested in football when I was young, I used to prefer going fishing with my dad.

I only started taking an interest as its all my mates used to talk about, I chose the Albion but I could have quite easily been a plastic prem supporter by following my mates teams,

Went to my first match at withdean when I got my first job and could afford to go.

I'm a bit too young for the Gladstone era unfortunately, the only time I went there was to sell programmes at an intertoto cup game between spurs and some European side, cant remember who the other team was...

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
1966 home to Bristol Rovers (after having seen reserve games since 1963). 2 nil down with 15 minutes to go yet coming out as 3:2 winners. Turner scored twice. I was hooked. Seeing how the promotion to the First Division went sour makes me a little cautious when I see what we have now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
1983 for me when my Grandad took me to see a "proper team" eg Newcastle when they played us in the 3rd round of the FA Cup

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
For me it was September 1958. A 2-0 victory over Grimsby Town in the old Division 2 (now the Championship). I can still remember what a towering figure in the defence Ken Whitfield was. Roy Jennings played out of position at left back and Glen Wilson drove the team on from midfield. Sadly do not remember the goals but the records say they were scored by Burtenshaw and Shepherd.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
1975/76 season... promoted from old div 3 the following year! :)

PDB1

Oct 3, 2011
1974 seagulls (dolphins) 2 bristol rovers 8 - loved it , my uncle took me, stood in the chicken run on a beer crate, uncle moaned like a drain about the result , i vaguely remember being surprised there was no commentary as before that i only seen football on the 'big match' and in my 8 year old brain i thought Brian Moore would be there to tell me about the players ! but that was it for me - season ticket holder now and basically seagulls till i die !

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Against Coventry City at home on 1st March 1980 we drew 1-1 at it rained all game. Stood in the North Stand with my Dad. I was 9 at the time and loved every minute.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are always masses of Albion fans who started c. 1972 to 1979, in these threads; many even before the Mullery part of that era.

I didn't know this before, but have justed checked Wikipedia & Mike Bamber took over in 1972.

I wonder if his investment in more famous managers, and in players, led to the greater interest in the Albion?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
2012 Albion 1 1 Birmingham. Not missed a game since. Miss my first game this saturday v Barnsley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here