Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What The Hell Is A Gammon?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It refers to going red in the face.

As someone who has an incurable skin condition that can make me go red in the face at random (usually every third day) and leaves angry blotches in its wake that someone always has to remark on, making me feel even more self-conscious about it, it’s a term that I find quite “triggering”.

I remember going on Twitter the day when an Extinction Rebellion protest at a London station had ended with angry commuters dragging the demonstrators from a train roof. Someone had taken a screenshot of a man in the crowd and written “Look at his red face and blotchy skin. Typical fash!” So thanks to this expression, I now find that I'm labelled politically thanks to an Illness that I'm already quite upset about anyway.

I might be a snowflake and I’ve never been called it directly, but I wince every time I see it being used.

Smile a lot to compensate, Gammons dont smile.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
BIG difference in my opinion. I am a lefty, guardian reading snowflake who finds woke culture completely counter-productive and often laughable. It is why this twitter account has become a sensation with people on the right AND the left: https://twitter.com/titaniamcgrath

It is such a perfect indictment of the issues of woke culture that many of those WOKIES do not even realise it is a joke and retweet what 'she' has tweeted as a sign of solidarity.

True. But is seems the outraged are just as active.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I am enjoying the gammon’s latest habit of labelling anything they don’t like “trolling”. I can imagine this thread has got a few red heads sweating.
“But , but, but we won, yuh aren’t allowed to criticise us anymore”!

Big, gammon faced babies.

I didn't die in four world wars and vote Brexit 17 times so some jumped up lefty could call me out on things!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's another thing. Being born in 1957 I don't consider myself a 'Boomer', but for convenience I get lumped in with them. They now get WAY too much abuse. Yes ok a lot have drifted rightwards as they've got older, and the lucky ones are financially secure in their old age (so I'm definitely not one), but they were also the protest generation. Some would have cut their teeth on Aldermarston marches with their parents, and the Boomer generation as a whole protested against the Vietnam war (and war in general), and marched for Civil Rights, Women's Rights and Gay Rights. They were the first generation to start to care about the environment, had a sub-culture built on tolerance, love, peace and understanding and rebelled against the Authoritarian Establishment. They laid the social groundwork for where we are now.

In short they achieved a lot, and if the current generation achieve half as much they'll be doing well.

Bomer and Millenial aimed at an individual are a bit unfair, not a lot you can do about when you were born, but Gammons can choose to chill out a bit and stop using phrases like "charity begins at home" when the topic of Foreign aid comes up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had no idea this thread would descend into a binfest.

NEVER SAW IT COMING.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Old Das Reich seems to be having some sort of fit. Can someone pop down to the labour exchange and check on him, please.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I don't feel the sneering is unfair.. as we all get older we become less relevant, the current zeitgeist means less and less to us.
Laughing at an oldie sayng "you should have more respect young man!" has been undertaken by each generation since time began

It was a bit different with my generation because we couldn't really sneer at the oldies that had effectively stopped Hitler.
I'm not sure the boomer generation have "Done their bit" in quite the same way.

They have had the best of the economic and political changes over the last 50 years and had very little to struggle against.
I can't believe you think it's ok to sneer at people just because you think they've become irrelevant.

And yes, the Boomers have 'done their bit'. The social changes we've experienced since the 1960s wouldn't have happened without the protests and the action, any more than women wouldn't have the vote if it hadn't been for the Suffragettes. And workers wouldn't have any rights if it hadn't been for Trade Unions. The ruling elites never willingly surrender power, you have to prise it off them and each generation has to build on the one before.

I hope that's still the case, but if all we're going to do is insult each other I fear we're going backwards.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is a way of being sexist, classist and racist but deemed perfectly acceptable because it is against white men where the rules of discrimination do not count.

A sub set of white men, usually, but Anne Widicombe is close to being a female Gammon, she just does not redden quite enough.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't believe you think it's ok to sneer at people just because you think they've become irrelevant.

And yes, the Boomers have 'done their bit'. The social changes we've experienced since the 1960s wouldn't have happened without the protests and the action, any more than women wouldn't have the vote if it hadn't been for the Suffragettes. And workers wouldn't have any rights if it hadn't been for Trade Unions. The ruling elites never willingly surrender power, you have to prise it off them and each generation has to build on the one before.

I hope that's still the case, but if all we're going to do is insult each other I fear we're going backwards.

I’ve no issue with “boomers” particularly. They made many good changes. It’s politicians and heads of industry that ****ed the climate and they do that across all generations.
Can’t blame anyone for enjoying the perks of their generation. I do wish they wouldn’t rustle sweet wrappers at concerts and at the cinema though, they do that a lot. And I’m not keen on the “you first” club on daytime busses. Just get on the bloody bus in whatever order you’re stood in, everyone is being held up.

Other than that, yeah, they can live.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Someone in my friendship group is a bit of a gammon and he was apoplectic when Jeremy Clarkson (who he hero worships as you say) came out for Remain. I still like to bring it up every so often because it sets him off like a jack-in-the-box.

Piers Morgan is the other remain voter many of them like but, they forgive him because he was happy to leave once the vote went that way, and likes to use the term remoaner.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It does not just come from white people though does it. Many POC use it to mock white people on Twitter, is that ok?

I am playing devil's advocate here btw but I find it laughable that many SJW who state you should never judge someone on their gender or race also band this term around liberally.

but they are not judged on their gender or race, or even their politics, for example Mark Francois holds largely the same political views as Jacob Rees-Mogg, Mogg is not Gammon though, and it is not because he is upper class, it is because he states his nasty views calmly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here